Thread: Fishing the broadwater

Fishing the broadwater

A mate wants to go and fish the broadwater on Sunday. I have only fished the nerang river couple times.
    Where else is a good spot to fish, whiting , flathead, etc.

I was going to put in at sundale bridge. I know where I can pump some yabbies and I will be using plastics.

Is there anywhere else that is better to put in?

I am going to spend the day down there so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Greg

Re: Fishing the broadwater

Greg, Sundale boat ramp is closed for 18 months while they build a new bridge for the light rail project, i believe it is closed already.

Whiting have been good in Nerang but not until around sunset for some reason.

Few flathead showing up around Crab, but this can depend on weather the pro netters have targeted that area the previous week, cheers wayne

Thanks Wayne.
    Where do I head in the nerang? Mate I can pump some tabbies, they ok? I was also going to use some soft plastics.
    Where would be best to put in?
    Wayne any help appreciated.
    Cheers
    Greg

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

what size boat greg? i launch my 5.5 haines from loders creek and can sneak in and out on dead low (with the motor trimmed up ) gets down to about 0.6m at dead low
    From there follow the markers around to the right and across to the rollercoaster at sea world where ive pumped some good size yabbies on the banks there (right by the jetski training area) and you can head thru the 6 knot zone up the nerang river.

if youve already got bait (or the plastic fantastics) the ramp at budds beach is really close to the council chambers where you can get good whiting at times (if they are on you will see the boats) or call in to the titanum bar if the fishings shite lol.

cheers ryan

Thanks Ryan.
    I got 4.55 seajay with 50 on back.
    I was going to go up to the council chambers.
    Is there any particular spot at the council chambers?
    My mate wants to get some yabbies first, so I guess I will have to put in around sea world area. What's ramp like there.

Cheers
    Greg

Hi Greg, you could put in at the Grand Boat Ramp, get yabbies "small ones best" from the banks between the boat ramp and Sundale Bridge, no yabbies upstream.

Late in season and whiting are upstream from Chambers, certainly wouldn't advise going up there with just yabbies unless you like Bream, cheers wayne

Thanks Wayne.
    I was going to throw some plastics and lures around. I am trying that now instead of bait. I havnt convinced my mate as yet, hence yabbies.
    I will go upstream. What is best dept of water?
    I was going to try the shallows with these popper things. Is that feasible in these areas?

Cheers
    Greg

Hi Greg, for the soft plastics i would try around the weed beds and drains just to the north of Crab Island.

My honest opinion about poppers for whiting in the Nerang is it is not worth the effort and frustration.

Water is not clear enough and the sandbanks to deep for poppers, around the back of Wavebreak would be best for that.

Good whiting in 3 meters of water upstream from Chambers on sunset at the moment is best, cheers wayne

Thanks Wayne.
    I was going to get blood worms but mate there just to expensive.
    I will just have to stick with yabbies and plastic worms.

I will look for the sand banks upstream from the council chambers.

Thanks for ur help

Cheers
    Greg

Hey Seahorse,

Youngy is right on the money like usual. I went out last night just upstream from the isle of capri bridge and managed 13 big whiting (between 30-40cm), I wasnt getting any at my normal spots further upstream (but i was fishing these before sundown). After the sun went down I was fishing in the area between Titanium bar and isle of capri and it was good fishing for 2 or 3 hours.

I used worms, and have never really used many yabbies in the river, they may work...but just as a guess i would probably say they may be more suited to fishing in the broadwater rather than the river but no harm in trying.

Good Luck Mate.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Thanks for the info. As I said to Wayne, blood worms are so damm expensive. Will let u know how I go.
    Cheers
    Greg