Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mooloolah (mooloolaba) River Bar Update????

Re: Mooloolah (mooloolaba) River Bar Update????

The last notice to Mariners had a picture showing that the depth was good running straight out like we use to.
    It also said that the red buoy had been taken away leaving just the chain and ground tackle.
    A couple of weeks ago we just turned a hard left and ran towards the main land and then turning to head out.
    That day there was 4mtr tinnies crossing it and coming in,but as Smithy has said it may of changed now
    after the bad weather.

On the last Notice to Mariners of the depth soundings Mick you could see the creep of the sand bar again from the east side. I reckon this heavy weather has changed things again as the last sounding was the 8th of June or something. The sand bar to the west I am guessing the buoy came off the chain and they couldn't find the chain again, even with divers so they were not going to dredge in that area in case the dredge cutter hit the chain.

Had a look this afternoon with a fair bit of tide on it. It has tidied up nicely and dropped quite a bit. I think there is a bar as I watched the longliner Scorpion bounce his way out and he was stuck for a bit right on the leads. The pilot boat this afternoon went straight out. I am going tommorrow. With a bit of tide I am going to angle out to sea about 45 degree off the east wall. From about the centreline of the bar and about 50m out it was starting to stand up and break down toward where they didn't remove the sand bank to the west. Low tide I will have to look at it again before coming in. You still have the option of going back down into the bay and around. Heading straight out you might need to time your sets a bit but there were some good lulls.

Thanks Smithy - really appreciate you posting these updates - I'm sure I'm not the only one reading with interest.

We're going to give it a miss tomorrow and head out (with half the world) on Saturday. Going to drop the boat in the Passage and take it easy instead. Hope the fish are hungry out there for you tomorrow and that the trip back across the bar is uneventful.

Cheers,
    Macca

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    Had a look this afternoon with a fair bit of tide on it. It has tidied up nicely and dropped quite a bit. I think there is a bar as I watched the longliner Scorpion bounce his way out and he was stuck for a bit right on the leads. The pilot boat this afternoon went straight out. I am going tommorrow. With a bit of tide I am going to angle out to sea about 45 degree off the east wall. From about the centreline of the bar and about 50m out it was starting to stand up and break down toward where they didn't remove the sand bank to the west. Low tide I will have to look at it again before coming in. You still have the option of going back down into the bay and around. Heading straight out you might need to time your sets a bit but there were some good lulls.
    Smithy - greatly appreciate your local info - you are a good lad. Regards SUPERDAFF

Yesterday in the morning on the high tide I went straight out. The other three times I used the western loop back into the bay. I had a good run in the dark coming in but Brooksy an hour or so before me had it breaking all the way to the beach so he must have got a bad set and I got a bit of a lull.

We went out yesterday morning (Sat) at about 6:00am just after the high tide - had to do a bit of a loop as a set came through - but then went straight out around the eastern wall. Came in about an hour after the low tide and went straight through - no probs. Had to keep an eye out though as there was still a fair bit of swell around.
    Great day on the water though - 5 knots all day unti early afternoon. - Caught a nice feed at Murphys - snapper and sweetlip.

Mark