Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How far out would you go in a 5m Tinnie

Re: How far out would you go in a 5m Tinnie

Quote Originally Posted by sig632f View Post
    someone might correct me here, but was'nt there a bloke who took a 540 haines sig from darwin to japan?
    I recall that..... He had a Honda(?) on the back and drove it right back to the Honda Factory in Japan...... testing my memory....

Quote Originally Posted by Booya View Post
    I recall that..... He had a Honda(?) on the back and drove it right back to the Honda Factory in Japan...... testing my memory....

yep it was Hans Tholstrup in a Haines Signature 542F powered by a Honda 90 HP.

I remember reading the article by F&B Mag. Circa 1999.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post

Some of the "older" folk might also recall Tholstrup circumnavigated oz in a 5m open Caribbean runabout call Tom Thumb which had around a 80 merc (from memory), however this is the exception not the norm and many today exceed both their boats capability as well as their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    many today exceed both their boats capability as well as their own.
    So the've either drowned or been rescued?

to the hards in my 5metery

Come the weekend we will be leaving 1770 and fishing east of Fitzroy Reef and One Tree Island in a 5.1m tinny somehwere between 80-100km out from the river mouth.

Ausfish Platinum Member

So is this a trip you do on your own? I've been out in that area with my Cruise Craft when I had it, should've kept it now. What type of tinny have you got, what fuel do you carry etc.

I think all is good, furtherest I'd be looking at in the Mackay region is about 50klms by the looks of the maps, it is basically an island hop all the way too, which makes the swim a little shorter if it all goes to custard lol... just kidding.

Cheers
    Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

The boat is a Aquamaster Abalone centre console, we usually fish 2 or 3 POB but rarely go out with other boats although we did 2 trips with a mate a couple of years ago, it is good to know there is someone else not to far away if you get into trouble. Fuel wise is 100l under the floor and another 100l on the deck in jerries and we always save 2.5 jerries for the trip home.

Corry,

I assume your top ender is a Quintrex? IMO the Quintrex (including the millenium hull) is a terrible riding hull. I had one from new back in 2001 (a 6m offshore) for 3.5yrs and used it a lot offshore (actually that was its model, what a joke) including up around the top of Hervey Bay. It hated chop and I ended up cracking several of the hulls ribs and tore a number of welds and bulkheads in the hull. On a good day you'll be fine, but chop is your enemy with this type of boat.

Regards,
    Dave.

The earlier 6m an up Quintrex' had alot of issues and did not ride well at sea, the smaller are much different, hence the reason they have brought out the Millennium blade hull these days in anything over 6m. Those earlier models were seriously blunt bull nose

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post

Did a search on him and found he was a very busy man -

First to fly solo around the world without navigation aids or crew, 1972-3, (in a single-engine 105hp Grumman AA1B trainer, after a 10-day learn-to-fly course).
    Fastest drive time from northern tip of Europe to southern tip of Africa, 70s.
    Fastest motorcycle circuit around the world (BMW), 1974.
    First motorcycle crossing of Australia east-to-west, 70s.
    First 4X4 solo crossing of Australia east-to-west, 1978-9.
    First south-to-north car crossing of Australia, including self-propelled crossing of Bass Straight on a rubber raft with the car (Mini Moke) on board, 1979.
    First open boat trip around Australia, world's longest outboard engine trip, 1979. Navigation famously consisted of 'keeping Australia on the left'.
    Created & had built world's first solar-powered car, 1981.
    First solar car to cross a continent (with racer/engineer Larry Perkins, from Perth to Sydney, 1982).
    First truck (semi) across Australia Perth to Townsville direct via a 1500km short cut.
    First bus (22-seat 4WD) across Australia Perth to Townsville direct via 1500km short cut.
    First to walk solo across the Simpson desert (a weight-loss exercise).
    First open boat trip from Australia to Japan, 2001.
    First production car (electric/petrol hybrid) Brisbane to Melbourne on a tankful, 2001.
    First to jump a double-decker bus across motorcycles – with co-adventurer Dick Smith the conductor on board the bus.
    Hans has raced at Bathurst three times, in a Datsun 1600 in 1969 and 1970 and in a Falcon GTHO in 1972. He finished the 1977 London-Sydney Marathon (in a Moke) and won his class in several economy runs in the 70s and 80s.

And a few failures -

A solo Atlantic crossing in an open boat, (pack ice foiled, but he made it with help).
    Flying a plane to the South Pole (plane crashed in Columbia).
    A solar-powered boat trip from Darwin to Japan (pirates).
    A postie bike crossing of Australia (fell off bike, broke bones).
    His marriage (also crashed).

The carribean cougar he navigated Aus in - http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NAAMe...454572&T=P&S=1

No wonder his marriage didnt work out the bloke would have never been home.

Hans is a UNIT!!!

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Corry,

I assume your top ender is a Quintrex? IMO the Quintrex (including the millenium hull) is a terrible riding hull. I had one from new back in 2001 (a 6m offshore) for 3.5yrs and used it a lot offshore (actually that was its model, what a joke) including up around the top of Hervey Bay. It hated chop and I ended up cracking several of the hulls ribs and tore a number of welds and bulkheads in the hull. On a good day you'll be fine, but chop is your enemy with this type of boat.

Regards,
    Dave.
    Yeah Dave it is the Quinnie, it is an earlier one, 2002 model. The old man bought it new, and yes, it doesn't like chop that much, but I don't think many pressed alloy tinnies will. I'll only be going out on good days, have no ambition to get smashed around and sour a day's fishing. If I got serious about offshort fishing again than we would look at another bigger offshore boat. Interestingly when I bought my Cruise Craft last time, I tested the Quinnie Offshore, obviously no comparison when comparing to glass offshore boats.

Cheers
    Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    So the've either drowned or been rescued?
    Also called the Darwin awards. There's a few other award nominations above