Thread: breeding Shrimp

breeding Shrimp

I have read about keeping shrimp alive and so far its working well. They seem pretty happy in the fish tank with gravel we got from the pet shop. With the Aerotor/fish filter they have survived for about 2 weeks

I have noticed some of the shrimp have greenish stuff on there belly. Are these eggs and if so how can i make it happen to more of them???

cheers brad.

Re: breeding Shrimp

I, for one, am very curious in this.

There is a bit on Google when I put in breeding cycle of a glass shrimp or breeding cycle of Palaeomonetes patulous.
    Here is a result from a Google.
    http://www.fishforums.com/forum/inve...-patulous.html

Best of luck with them

I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Cheers, that information has been very useful. I've just used tap water and they have survived and have eggs. I should be having some larvae pretty soon as i can see black dots in the eggs. With some supplies from the shop most of them should survive.

regards Brad

Keep us informed will you Brad.

Best of luck with them.
    Cheers Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

very cool
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

I think they hatched and went mia just as quick. My tank is still new and i just used tap water ( which the adult prawns didn't mind ) which is why i they didn't make it : (

If you have a filter the will suck them up- may be why they are MIA?

how corse is the gravel?? for years i breed fish and with some the fry were that small that they would slip down inbetween the rocks/gravel. you may think you have lost them then all of a sudden a few weeks later theres babies swimming everywhere...

Hey Brad, What type of shrimp are they? the reproduction varies considerably between species, I might be able to help you out with some of it.

Blythy
    Don’t take life too seriously, It isn’t permanent

Get as much plant life in as you can. they'll stick to this like glue. Bits of wood with cracks in it even better. Unless the filter is outrageously powerful they should be fine, gotta remember these fry need to survive in running water in the wild.

I have the filter still in there but its off and use an power point aerator pump going. Could they be stuck/hiding in the filter. The gravel is pretty fine, roughly 5mm thick. They are ghost shrimp to my knowledge and are very transparent when there is a strong light (ie sunlight) behind them. I have the 1 large plant to the side of the tank and a 10cm long log with algae in the middle of the tank.