Thread: fishing the Pirtek challenge rain hail or shine! a day of everything.

fishing the Pirtek challenge rain hail or shine! a day of everything.

well i entered the pirtek comp more the the random draw prizes then anything. i put up with alot of rain at donnybrook and seen quite a few people getting around with there fancy blue pirtek hats on. barra whiting and flathead where on the list and i thought i would more so target whiting. we ended up with around 12 keepers for the day with the biggest only being 27cm so ended up leaving donnybrook around 1030. and went home had lunch and abit of a relax i got the urge to go chase some flattys at low tide down the cabo river. which turned out to be quite worthwhile few 40 cm models about a dozen undersize 50+cm model drop'd at the boat and a 66cm guy i managed to get into the boat so that was my best for the day. how did everybody else fair? at the end of the day i got a lovely feed out of it released the big flatty and only kept a couple of the small guys. i also had to liten to the mrs all day try and tell me that it takes more skill to catch a fish smaller then the hook you are using? in the end i just had to shut up and agree ''yes dear''
    cheers Tim
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirtek1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	78955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirtek2.jpg 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	78956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirtek3.jpg 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	78957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirtek4.jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	78958  

Re: fishing the Pirtek challenge rain hail or shine! a day of everything.

Nice feed there Tim ! Beer battered flattie fillets Yumo !!!!!!

nice work mate will post my report a little later once ive helped put the kids to bed
    Work is for people who don't know how to fish

thanks damo just so you know it was delicious! nearly tasted as good as those cpl of rums i knocked back!

Well, Saturday a:m wife & I to BCF & spend $$$$$. That arvo take down my fav 4126 only to find 5th guide pretty crook. No worries, I've got replacements. Noo, not that size. OK rod choice #2. Where is it? Oh old mate borrowed it a few weeks ago. Ask a female fisho friend for a loan of her bright pink bound 4126. Up to Caloundra 1st thing & taking rods off truck & Hughie drops megalitres of water on us before the wet gear could be reached. Finally... 1st cast with pilly on 3/0s, medium hit, no hookup. Step sideways for 2nd cast, right on to broken Coke bottle which took a flap off just behind right little toe. Medically trained wife treats my injury with the "You'll live" technique. Start to pray for more rain so I can rinse foot. Sun appears. Head to mouth of Bells Ck to supply sustenance to the resident midges. "Excuse me Dear but where's the repellant?" "I thought you grabbed it Honey. Never mind" or words to that effect. After putting up with being eaten for an hour or so I pulled the pin & went & sat in the truck. Got bored so started sorting through the glovebox. Yep that'll be a full tin of repellant right down under everything. Up stumps & off to Coochin. Going down the highway the Tojo starts jerking like it's got a split turbo hose which ended up being............a split turbo hose. Hit Coochin just past the old boat ramp, drown ourselves in spray & put sliced foot straight into the deepest black mud in the area. I just want to go home! Oh sorry our tally (all by wifey who reckons she had a good time)- 1 ray, 1 bream & a four inch muddie. Can't wait for next year!
    Nice haul Burleygu. Hope your lucks in with the draws. I'm hoping things can't go worse than yesterday at the Tannum Hookup on Lizzies Birthday long weekend

Good one Tim nice catch there ,so i recon you would of sent the pic in of the Flatty.
    My day started yesterday at 4am,boat and surf rod all ready and a box of placcys and hardbodys.
    The choice was Tailor ,whiting ,flattys and Bass.Ok i thought this is my first comp so ill leave home at 4.30am get to Woody head at 5.30am.Rig up and stroll to the point and be ready to cast off at 6am.
    My first choice was a 100mm slug ,there was not much swell and just a drizzle of rain ,but with patches of blue .
    First cast out towards the horizon and woops let the bugger sink to much hmmm snagged .ping oh well i have a popper or 2 there .On went the 100 mm popper first cast nothing ,second cast the lure was fouled up and started to retrieve and smash i saw a sizable Tailor hit my fouled up mess .You little beuty lifted him up onto the rocks ,nice looked about 40cm it was 6.10 ,hey this is cool 10 mins and i have me first fish lol.Got the bugger on the mat now to get my number on there hold the fish in position and get the pic,yer right that fish was not going to play the game ,flapping everywhere and frustrating the crap out of me .I managed to hold my breath and snap ,yep pic looks fine .The fish flapping around ended up in a small rock pool ,hm this is going to be fun, i thought ok ill catch it later it will be fine there .I thought i would try a Reidys Barra lure shallow number about 150mm first cast and fouled the lure Oh well started to retrieve again and smash another Hit ,im on again landed him and he looked slightly bigger .Got the pic and let him go he went 47cm.OK a few more casts then of to the river to catch a big lizard. First i had to duck back to the boat and get the landing net.Ok that was easy all fish released and im off the Goodwood Island.it was now 7.50am The sun was out now and was looking like a top day .
    The tide was flowing out pretty quick and there were boats everywhere ,from 2 or 3 guys in tinnies with little blue hats on . to Guys in $100,000 rigs that looked like modified ski boats .that had twin 200 horse power donks ,speeding up and down the river .I tried some of my spots the river was alive with small choppers and resulted in destroying placcys one after another. I headed for Yamba and tried some spots on the way thought i would have a troll for a lizzard,using the Manns stretch in fluro rainbow .it wasnt long before i got a hit but what is this not one chopper but 2 on the same lure lol
    Time was really ticking by now and it was about 4pm i thought well ill try up in the shallows as the tide was higher now,first flick with a 70mm killer tomato and bang a nice 45 cm a few more flicks and thats it time to coff .
    Got home just on dark .Well i posted my tailor but im sure there will be plenty of bigger models ,but it was a top day anyway.Attachment 78999Attachment 79000
    Shut up and fish

Hi guys looks like we all had a wet, windy and eventful day.

Some good fish around just took a while to coax them into the boat, photo of my best.

Lucky draw for the winners this year so everyone gets an even chance.

Cheap day for a good cause and we all got a new hat, cheers wayneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090840.jpg 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	79006

hes a stonker wayne! we couldnt find any size to our whiting unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by womp View Post
    nice work mate will post my report a little later once ive helped put the kids to bed
    I take it they aren't easy to put to bed mate!!