Thread: Plastics in the Passage

Plastics in the Passage

In conjunction with the Pirtek Fishing Comp, had a fish in the passage this morning and managed my best session on plastics yet (3 years - although I probably only get a chance every 2 months).

Got there just before 6am and was on the water by about 6:05am (annoyed that I wasted the 5 mins given that I only had 3 hours before I had to boot back to Brisbane for a function). Alas, the 5 mins lost was not so bad when on the 4th cast I got a nice hit and wahlah...48cm flatty. Photo'd, kissed and released. Was a while between "drinks" but managed two more @ 39cm and 38cm also released. Also managed to catch a vicious-looking long tom which made short work of my plastic which had survived the three flathead.

Just a quick one for the regular punters....I've tried quite a few colours, sizes, etc but always seem to come back to the same plastic. I've probably caught 95% of my fish on this particular colour/make (gulp powerbait in pumpkinseeds with sparkles in 3 or 4 inch). Is it wrong to keep going back to the same one? Should I be experimenting more?

Macca

Re: Plastics in the Passage

Flathead also like bright colours so give ol nucklear chicken or lime tiger a go. Your going alright with your colour so try new but keep ol faithfulls. Cheers DD.....

I have found the passage flathead to have a prefrence towards the pink plastic's
    Cheers Martin

No disrespect but thats a pretty ordinary return for normal Passage SP fishing. Funny how everyone is totally convinced of certain colours with flatties. Ive caught heaps of them up there and never used any of the colours mentioned! Of course you will get more on certain colours if that's pretty much what you are tying on and feeling confident about.
    Not convinced its as crucial as presentation and the actual shape of the plastic in combination with the action imparted.
    I have another thread going on Donnybrook fishing at the moment and there is a noticeable reduction in catches for regulars. But you can always get numbers of undersize fish even on ordinary days.
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Cheers
    Flatzie

Thanks guys - will keep experimenting and will try some other colours.

No disrespect taken Flatzie - I guess if I consider 3 a decent morning then I'm going to be even more stoked if I crack a half-dozen in a session! I've just gotten hold of a little punt so looking forward to doing more exploring around The Passage in a boat rather than being limited to on foot - I've seen plenty of places that would have to be flatty heaven but just haven't had my own boat to explore.

Macca