Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who doesn't like gulp

Who doesn't like gulp

I hate the stuff.
    The packets leak, it stinks,they are bent and dried out,the curly tails don't work, you use them once and they are stuffed, they go mouldy and i think they are over priced.
    May as well put on a slab of bait in my humble opinion.
    Other than that they are great fish catchers and that smelly scent is loved by the fish.
    I know they are biodegradable and all that i just wish they could make them more user friendly.
    I find other ordinary soft plastics a lot better value and i don't like to add scent or use packets that are full of juice either.
    Is it just me?
    What are your opinions.

Re: Who doesn't like gulp

my opinion is totally opposite to yours -

The packets leak when left opened only.they are always primed,juicy and ready to use,95% of the tails work and i wont fish without them,and i dont recall ever seeing a moldy gulp.they are reusable and i have often used 1 packet to catch up to 20 flathead,so as far as value for money goes,i have no problems,i dont remember in my bait days of catching 20 flathead on 1 or 2 packs of prawns,i actually have never caught that many on bait in 1 session,where as i consistently do it with the gulp.

Blog Entries

I agree with softplasticsdude, I find if you take a little care to keep the pack sealed, don't mix other placcies in with them and store them away from sunlight/heat for extended periods they keep well. I have caught fish consistently on them for a while now in both fresh and salt. I used to be a dedicated Yabby man poo pooing lures and plastics but I must say I am converted now and it is Gulp that converted me. But hey, each to their own.

I know what you mean ......... except for the part of not working .
    I have a love / hate relationship with them ....... they were the first placcy that I used for bream / flatties ( ideal plastic for a newby) ...... they worked.
    Over the next 5 years they were pretty well forgotten till last winter ... when I tried the shrimp on Jews and they worked a treat. My last trip up North fishing creeks I tried the shrimp again & had a cracker with all sorts of species including barra falling to them. the best result I have had by far in that system.
    So , how ever much I hate buying them for the reasons mentioned (storage , drying out , leaking , longevity) - ...... by gosh they work .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

try putting your gulps into a airtight screw jar or one of those gulp storage trays with lids,i have most of mine in a $4 screw jar from woolies and have had for years with no leakage,BTW i still have plenty in packs to that dont leak.

Once you go Zman you never go back

I used to use the 3 inch swimming mullet for snapper and sometimes flathead but now i use atomics, i too was often dissapointed with the tails of some of the gulps not working..

i'm over them. just turfed packets of em 2 week ago. had a good collection in the shed but when i checked em out i had packs of dried (unopened) ones, moldy ones (had been opened) and then just those that were all bent out of shape brand new in the pack. a few of them had zip locks that were only attached on 1 side of the pack. had a bit of a run of packs that had 2 or 3 out of the 5 that were all bent. been through 2 of their screw top containers that cracked and leaked (not uv resistant) and then bought one of their 3 packs of press seal lids that dont leak (yeah right). tried those with water first and they went back the next day. totally over the leaking and stinking (almost like using bait - only more expensive). zmans and snapbacks dont dry out (just leave em on the jighead till next time), they dont stink, no liquid to leak everywhere and super strong and economical. only thing is they will melt if left in the sun in the packets (which ones dont tho?). and in deep water jigging apps i know that my plastic is intact - no need to check for tail nips = more time in the water and less winding. i owe my sp conversion to gulps but thats it. they sure dont stand up to many snapper bites. really got the craps going through 3 packs in 1 session all with tails trimmed short.
    but, as funchy says - whatever floats your boat.
    cheers
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

I agree with netmaker. We moved away from Gulps about three years ago due to the price, leaking issues, stinkiness and 'drying out' characteristics.

Now use Zooms, Atomics, Squidgies and Zmans. We still catch fish and have even managed PBs with alternative plastics.

Gulps are more bait than lures whereas the other plastics mentioned are more lures than bait IMHO. We concentrate more on how we work our plastics rather than deadsticking Gulps...

Cheers

Pete

spd and funchy - guess you also have to consider the target species. those flatties have small grinding teeth and swallow prey whole. a lot of fishos are using them around reef where the teeth are a bit more of an issue. if your getting 20 fish to a bait thats great and you would have no reason to look elsewhere. that would be unattainable around the bay islands. dont even know if the zmans would go that high. i loved my gulps for a long time despite the downsides and still use them (got plenty left) from time to time. i just prefer the more hardy baits that can be glued to the jighead (no "pants pulled down") and used for trip after trip with minimum fuss. dont really think the fish care too much about the brand. i reckon the only way to compare them for fish catching would be to set up a 2 jig leader and fish 2 baits at once. in fact next time i am out i will have a stab at that.
    and i still reckon stickin me hand in a gulp tub aint that different to diggin it into my squid bucket
    cheers
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

keep them in the fridge

I find the bigger ones (7") to have zero durability. Pickers will destroy them in seconds.

Gulp was starting to really annoy me (for reasons already mentioned) so I changed to Squidgy a few months back. They catch just as many fish, and I know that when I open the pack that I will be able to use every plastic in it. Throwing away the buggered gulps was as good as throwing away money... money that could be put into more fishing trips.

I'm a always trying new plastics.
    I like gulps though like all things that come in a little plastic bag they will have a limited life once they are removed from the shelf and placed in our tackle bags.

I would like to see more variations on the Sandworm as in colour variations.

It has always been a stealthy favourite of mine for fishing structure and holes from the shore, has caught me flathead bream and Jew, the odd estuary cod.

The scent seems to work over the gulps poor shape, but they always say simple is best.

Slam and a few like that have also worked for me, including squidgy and atomic, though gulp have caught me some beauties.

The only ones I will not touch is Kokoda, I dont think the plastic quality is good enough as it stinks like old rubber, but then in saying that you could always add some squidgey scent to em or some other scent (I have about 6 tubes of x-factor unused).

lm impressed wiht the Nuclar chicken 4" mino and the new 6" grub , but as siad i dont much like it when they go stiff and mouldy
    some of my best flat head have been taken on these but i do prefer the squidge ....

~~~~Keep ya thirsty eyes off my jim beam~~~