Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Length of Barra Rods for Flicking Lures

Re: Length of Barra Rods for Flicking Lures

THansk Strewth.

Is the Calais 100A made for Saltwater?

Your thougths on the Daiwa Zillion Type R model for casting?

Splash

I can recommend the live fiber 6kg, I fish it with a 200 curado and it suits med to large fish and also as a troller. It has a parabolic action and is a tough blank that feels nice, although not quite as light as a loomis. I think the 50 would suit the live fiber 4kg for small to medium grade fish and I will go that way when my old loomisC662(+curado 50) bites the dust.

Thanks mate.

Which '50' are you referring to?

SPlash

I was thinking the core/cronarch size 50 with a 4kg live fiber. A lot more fun when the general run of fish is small-medium. After a week of flicking those few extra grams in a outfit start to feel like kgs.

indeed. Great perspective.

What length of barra would you consider past 'medium'?

What ratio of trolling to casting do you do?

SPlash

The core 50, old (green) Curado 50E, Chronarch CH50E and Scorpion XT1000 all have the same body and similar drag capacity (around 4kg). The green Curado 50E has been discontinued (but still widely available) and the Core 50 is not on the Australian on-line Shimano catalogue (but still available). I've landed 1m+ Queenies on the Scorpion and plenty of wild Barra in the range 80-90 cm with no drama. Loads of metre + have been accounted for using Curados in the 200 size. Zillions are fine reels too, but all my Daiwas are harder to service than my Shimanos (you need special pliers to remove the pin from the spool shaft to service the spool bearing, and getting the pinion bearing out is a bear). Ease of service is perhaps the reason that Shimano baitcasters are so popular with professional guides but, other than that, it is a "Holden versus Ford" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    indeed. Great perspective.

What length of barra would you consider past 'medium'?

What ratio of trolling to casting do you do?

SPlash
    +80cm was what I was thinking as a larger range, all subjective really.
    I hardly do any trolling, I find it boring.

I've heard a couple a issues with the cores. Aluminum gears is one of them plus not as corrosion resistant as the curados. I'm sure they would be a sweet reel but for the price and what I have heard (unconfirmed) I would take a Different option. Sounds like they are a Bass reel.

thanks again.

daintreeboy - what other option would you take?

Splash

We use 200 size reels for this sort of fishing. You could go smaller but that increases risk of losing the big one. It would be more fun though! The 100 and 200 size reels are already pretty light and I reckon a heavier rod will wear you out faster so getting a light Carbon fibre rod is more important.
    With the current prices it's hard to go past a Curado. I also prefer the high gear ratio so a 200e7 or G7 would be my pick with a good quality 20 or 25 lb braid.