Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Near 1 metre tilapia from Samsonvale

Re: Near 1 metre tilapia from Samsonvale

Wonder why they are protected, they are a dime a dozen. Find them in every freshwater lake these days. Then again, they dont look like a tasty fish do they...

Did you know the lungfish can breath out of water? Awesome fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Kingtin,

Yeah I read the whole piece, might have been better to place that in your first post instead instead of second post, i.e. post number 3

Kingtin, How did you work out the lungfish you caught is 70 years old and not a juvenile?

Cheers, Bondy
    Juvenile at almost 1 meter!!!!! you have to be bloody joking...& if you read the whole thread why did you ask if it was released ????

Baz

Kingtin,

Yeah I read the whole piece, might have been better to place that in your first post instead instead of second post, i.e. post number 3

Kingtin, How did you work out the lungfish you caught is 70 years old and not a juvenile?

Cheers, Bondy
    Didn't think I'd need to place any mention of returning to the water in the first post Bondy as I think it should be taken as read that with my length of membership on this forum, and the number of years that I've been fishing, I'd be well enough versed in the rules regarding any fish that are a no-take species. I find it rather patronising that folk think that they need to enlighten me with regards to regs.

I didn't work out it's age, a mate who works for the DPI&F elightened me. Apparently, they can grow quite fast under ideal conditions (which they haven't had) but only up until 50cms and then they slow right down. They are unable to be aged (scientifically) as they cannot be aged via the scale method used in other fish. One can only judge (apparently) based on the average maximum size for a specific water and the average estimated lifespan. Some schools of thought estimate that they only live for 50 yrs others estimate they can live for up to 100 yrs.................based on the latter, the slower growth rate after 50cms, and an average max size of 1.4m he arrived at around 70yrs after I commented that it must be about 30yr old as my assumption was based on the estimate that they only lived for 50yrs

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Well if wiki can be counted on it is certainly not juvenile.

The Queensland lungfish spawns and completes its entire life cycle in freshwater systems.[6] The age of first breeding is estimated to be 17 years for males and 22 years for females. Males typically become mature at 738–790#mm and females at 814–854#mm.[8]

If you consider that reliable, you can easily estimate that it is 30+ years old and mature for a decent amount of time.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Beautiful fish mate, they have incredible scales, something out of the last prehistoric period.

Glad to hear you returned it with care,, I never caught one though I am led to believe they are fairly tough.

Did you know they only have one lung..?

One thing though I find funny and a releif is that SEQ seems to be free of "Monster Carp",,, I remember as kid fishing out West NSW we would haul in carps that would be over 20lb all the time.

One of those would give you a run for yr money..

Cheers

Dan

I've seen some photos of absolutely monstrous carp, metre plus, caught in Leslie dam

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    One thing though I find funny and a releif is that SEQ seems to be free of "Monster Carp",,, I remember as kid fishing out West NSW we would haul in carps that would be over 20lb all the time.

One of those would give you a run for yr money..

Cheers

Dan
    Unfortunately mate, they're already here...............only a matter of time before some bugger transfers 'em to North Pine, just for the helluva it. Read here: http://www.qldaf.com/forums/fishing-...an-carp-66130/

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Well if wiki can be counted on it is certainly not juvenile.

The Queensland lungfish spawns and completes its entire life cycle in freshwater systems.[6] The age of first breeding is estimated to be 17 years for males and 22 years for females. Males typically become mature at 738–790#mm and females at 814–854#mm.[8]

If you consider that reliable, you can easily estimate that it is 30+ years old and mature for a decent amount of time.
    Lovey80, I would not rely upon Wiki as being accurate. I associate with a person that has been working on lungfish for over 60 years and still is. I'll ask her about it and see what she comes back with and will let you know if Wiki is accurate or not.

Cheers, Bondy

It is a great thought though isn't it, that there are individual fish in the Pine and local rivers & dams that have been swimming around for 30, 50, 70 years....I like it!

Kingtin,

I'm not patronising anyone , i've had shit on the liver last week and unfortunately I seen your second post after submitting my earlier post.

As mentioned to Lovey80, I associate with a researcher who has been working on lungfish for over 60 years and as far as I know of DPI (Freshwater Fisheries) is a bit inaccurate. I'll ask my associate and see what she says, she's an authority on this species so I'll ask her how and what is the ideal method used in determing age.

All I know is that DNA from the scale, mouth swab or tail cutting can provide species family and wether the photo you took the other day with its length would be classed as juvenile.

Off topic....Orange Roughy are juvenile at 60 years , they reach sexuall maturity about 70 to 75 years and live to about 150 years of age.

Whereabouts at Lake Samsonvale did you catch this one?

You can pm the info if need be.

Cheers, Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Wonder why they are protected, they are a dime a dozen. Find them in every freshwater lake these days. Then again, they dont look like a tasty fish do they...

Did you know the lungfish can breath out of water? Awesome fish.
    They are vulnerable , that's the reason and they are ancient to some degree. no longer dime a dozen , the big floods caused quite a lot to go over the spillway, lot of dead ones and a lot of predators eat their eggs, Dams are land locked so to speak, they require certain soft grass to lay their eggs. Older lungfish are not producing many as they were due to crap dam conditions.
    Bondy

Kingtin,

Whereabouts at Lake Samsonvale did you catch this one?

You can pm the info if need be.

Cheers, Bondy
    Boral Landing. Also had one "breach" on me this morning in a similar area that must have been half as long again...............pretty scary in a yak.

They are vulnerable , that's the reason and they are ancient to some degree. no longer dime a dozen , the big floods caused quite a lot to go over the spillway, lot of dead ones and a lot of predators eat their eggs, Dams are land locked so to speak, they require certain soft grass to lay their eggs. Older lungfish are not producing many as they were due to crap dam conditions.
    Bondy
    Correct with regards to them going over the spillway. The riverbed at sweeney reserve, mungarra reserve, and surrounds, were littered with huge lungfish after the floods..............the stink was atrocious and I'm amazed that they weren't cleaned up during renovations..............there were heaps of foxes doing the "cleaning up" though

Kingtin,

I'll ask my associate and see what she says, she's an authority on this species so I'll ask her how and what is the ideal method used in determing age.
    Would that be Anne Kemps?

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Would that be Anne Kemps?
    Yeah, Dr Anne Kemp, now an Associate Professor and still working on lungfish

I'll let you know after I see her on Friday

Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ehsman View Post
    Juvenile at almost 1 meter!!!!! you have to be bloody joking...& if you read the whole thread why did you ask if it was released ????

Baz
    Dont worry about it Baz, As you would have read my other post too so need to repeat.

Yep there are some fish that are jueviniles and dont reach point of sexual maturity until they reach a certain age. Orange roughy marketed as Sea Perch is one of them. It does not reach sexual maturity until 70 years or so. This fish was caught until there was not much of a catch then some bright spark twigged and done some research to discover we were wiping out future stock. Majority of fish were jueveniles. Sexual activity starts about 70 years, in some cases maybe as young as 50 years of age. Similar to Gemfish, but they have not recovered.

Bondy