Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Near 1 metre tilapia from Samsonvale

Re: Near 1 metre tilapia from Samsonvale

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Correct with regards to them going over the spillway. The riverbed at sweeney reserve, mungarra reserve, and surrounds, were littered with huge lungfish after the floods..............the stink was atrocious and I'm amazed that they weren't cleaned up during renovations..............there were heaps of foxes doing the "cleaning up" though

makes me wonder about that too, It definitely did not make the press. As far as I was aware the people running the dams and SEQWater in general reckon everything is good and dandy. Kwpt this one quiet though. Thanks for letting me know. Would have been good at the time to collect some for autopsy and reconfirm their diet.

Kingtin,

Had a conversation with Anne Kemp, yes, it's not a juvenile, its an adult once they reach 3 years of age. Your mate at DPI is being dodgey in his / her statement. Not entirely correct what was said as regards to growth rate etc.

I can provide you with Dr Anne Kemp's email via pm and you can enquire with her if you like providing she gives me the authority to do so.

Cheers, Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Kingtin,

Had a conversation with Anne Kemp, yes, it's not a juvenile, its an adult once they reach 3 years of age. Your mate at DPI is being dodgey in his / her statement. Not entirely correct what was said as regards to growth rate etc.

I can provide you with Dr Anne Kemp's email via pm and you can enquire with her if you like providing she gives me the authority to do so.

Cheers, Bondy
    Thanks Bondy but I've got her paper on lungfish. Although she's an "authority", I tend to not take as gospel anything from any "authority" unless substantiated by other "authorities". No disrespect to/for her but IMHO lungfish research is still in it's infancy compared to other species so I have a very open mind. UI'm not saying that she's wrong in anything she's written but likewise, I'm not saying that other authors are wrong when they have written something that contradicts what (not her as an individual) she has written.

For example, some authors say that they grow fairly quickly, others that they don't.

What I did find strange, and she may be interested in this if you report it to her, is that all the carcasses that we saw, (I'm guessing around 30 to 40) were all over .5 metre.............no littlies, despite there being hundreds of little bass/yellowbelly etc. They were all in stagnant rockpools left behind after the water subsided............why didn't they "walk" to cleaner water? Had the littlies manged it and the big uns hadn't? I just find it strange.............it was like an "elephants graveyard"

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Kingtin,

Shes, just launched a new book, about 2 months ago or so, its more updated.

DPI Freshwater Fisheries is way behind the ball.

Lungfish cannot walk, its a phallacy, only Salamanders can walk per say.

As with other authroities as you mentioned earlier, some researchers in both private and govt agencies dont thoroughly check their references, Scientific publications are thoroughly scrutinsed by peers , some tend not to give credit to the principle scientist and then claim it was their own work. do keep an open mind and take nothing aa gospel. Unfortunately there are a few people with tunnel vision.

I think you will find most authors and scientists will argue and contradict, it's the nature of the game, but there will always be a general / common consenus.

When you seen the mass strandings, dont suppose you reported it by any chance? These strandings of fishkill was never mentioned so as far as water management authorities are concerned the fishkill never existed , hence everything is smelling roses if you get my drift.

Bondy

During a cold spell when the north pine dam was at its lowest about 4 or 5 years ago a number of tillies turned up there toes, while fishing the banks near forgan cove I came across an over 25lb carp that had just died, I rang the rangers and they came and picked it up for the scientists. It had 2 egg sacks as big as bulls balls, just as well they were not fertized.

Dino

Kingtin,

Shes, just launched a new book, about 2 months ago or so, its more updated.

DPI Freshwater Fisheries is way behind the ball.

As with other authroities as you mentioned earlier, some researchers in both private and govt agencies dont thoroughly check their references, Scientific publications are thoroughly scrutinsed by peers , some tend not to give credit to the principle scientist and then claim it was their own work. do keep an open mind and take nothing aa gospel. Unfortunately there are a few people with tunnel vision.

I think you will find most authors and scientists will argue and contradict, it's the nature of the game, but there will always be a general / common consenus.

When you seen the mass strandings, dont suppose you reported it by any chance? These strandings of fishkill was never mentioned so as far as water management authorities are concerned the fishkill never existed , hence everything is smelling roses if you get my drift.

Bondy
    Unfortunately I didn't Bondy. i assumed that with the parks being closed and all the workers clearing up there, that they would have it noted.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Bondy
    I thought so, which is why I put it in inverted commas.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't Bondy. i assumed that with the parks being closed and all the workers clearing up there, that they would have it noted.
    Unfortunately not. After the previous spill, not long back they were in the poo and went into damage control, I think the reason why they went into damage control was due to some people from the Wilderness Society found a few dead ones and started snooping and then the media got involved.

Kingtin , if you came across something like this again just report it and take a few photos if you have a camera at the time.

One can never assume anything these days.

Bondy

Bit of info from a company that has bred and raised lungfish since 2001...

We are CITES approved for breeding, sales and export of the Australian Lungfish.

You can have a living fossil in your aquarium fish tank. Australian Lungfish make ideal aquarium fish. They are very hardy, almost indestructible (they have existed for 350 million years) and can have a lifespan of 100 years. (You may like to make some provision for them in your will). These fish are easy to care for and undemanding regarding tank conditions and feeding.

As the fish grow, they will need a large tank, approx 5ft-6ft or a heated outdoor pond. With good care they should reach approx 18in to 2 feet at approx. 3 to 5 years of age. Their growth rate will then slow to reach 3ft at 10 to 15 years of age.

http://www.ceratodus.com/lungfish.html

Hi Kingtin, Its a shame that some people cant read and are prepared to jump down your throat half cocked and tell you the obvious, its because of these experts(drips under pressure ) that I wont post any fishing reports, well done on the 1 metre Tilapia ,they can really pull.Cheers Alex

by the white cane laying beside it a juvenille would not need a walking stick

That abc photo is a bit off
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    That abc photo is a bit off
    Cheers
    Ray
    looks like me after a night on the plss!

FYI

At the Co-Op Bookshop, St Lucia

The World of Lungfish

By Dr. Anne Kemp

Friday, August 17th

5-7pm

Wine and Cheese

Signed copies of this limited edition book available at the launch for $32.00

Australia is privileged to have, amongst its unusual fauna, one very special animal, the Australian lungfish, Neoceratodus forsteri, one of three groups of lungfish to survive from an extensive fossil fauna in the past. The Australian lungfish is now confined to only a few localities in southeast Queensland.
    This book, by Dr Anne Kemp, a local author, describes lungfish past and present, with history and stories about lungfish, and some of the personalities involved.