Thread: Braid Brand

Braid Brand

Am looking at buying some new braid for a couple of my reels, looking at some 50 and 80lb braid with the colour meter markings on it. Have looked in stores and recently seen the berkley maxx brand for around the $100 mark, if I look online I find alot of spectra, PEX and PE Dyneema brands.

Has anyone used the above brands or could recommend a brand that does the metered colouring? And also where to get it?

Re: Braid Brand

try amazon and see if its any cheaper for berkley i believe you may be able to pick up Diawa at a reasonable price

The stuff you are after is called depth hunter. the best around is the power pro which is actually a shimano product. it aint cheap, but getting it off of ebay is cheapest way to obtain it. last year i switched from fireline to power pro on all my reels - very happy with it.

I'm yet to hear a bad thing about Daiwa Saltiga Boat braid. Reasonably priced too. I use Jigman on my Saltiga and it's fine as well.

I've just purchased some Daiwa Tournament 8 Accudepth braid. 50lb is only 0.26mm. It's a bit dearer than the Boat braid and much thinner so I'm keen to see how well it performs. If you wanted to try some of it I would get the 60lb spool instead of the 50lb as it's so thin you would still have plenty of capacity and a little bit of extra insurance. I had to go 50lb as I'm putting it on a tiny reel (Ryoga Bay Jigging) and wanted as much capacity as I could.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by llourd View Post
    The stuff you are after is called depth hunter. the best around is the power pro which is actually a shimano product. it aint cheap, but getting it off of ebay is cheapest way to obtain it. last year i switched from fireline to power pro on all my reels - very happy with it.
    Yeah I have power pro on my bream and small snapper rigs, happy with the way it performs so am looking into this stuff for heaview gear....seems well priced on ebay, any ideas on what sellers to buy from? Stick to Aus and USA sellers to get the real stuff??

I got some Nanofil and that Accudepth braid mentioned from a british source recently before the dollar slid a little against the pound. 300 yard spools were 30 pounds with cheap delivery so they came up in the end for 48 bucks. You can go outside the US for reputable sellers and it all comes down to the exchange rate at the time.

I second the recommendation for Daiwa Boat Braid. I have been more than happy with the PE4 (55lb) version, and have it on 4 or five reels, and another with PE8 (100lb).

Jump on Ebay USA, you can get 300m spools delivered for under $75 delivered. I get mine off a seller called Deepangler.

You will see many other options for coloured coded braid, but in my opinion the Japanese lines (varivas, YGK, Daiwa, Sunline) will be better than the US lines (Power Pro, Fins, etc). Also, the US lines will be coloured coded in feet and yards, where the Japanese is done in meters.

Cheers,
    Ben