Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do as Fisheries Minister to sustain our fisheries?

What would you do as Fisheries Minister to sustain our fisheries?

Had a discussion with some friends on this subject over Easter.

My take is mark out zones ie. A, B, C, D, etc. Estuaries and outside.

Close one or two of them off (no take zones) for 1-3years then close the next for 1-3years, keep commercial fishers out of the zones. Charter boats fish the same as recreation fishing.

So how do we keep commercial fishers going ... buy out their licences or give them a huge monitory and training incentives to go towards fish farming.

Am I being too simplisitic or does this sound reasonable.

Cheers

Re: What would you do as Fisheries Minister to sustain our fisheries?

Sounds ok to me,I have also wondered about catch and release zones.Maybe that would work in some instances.
    Just my two bobs worth
    Cheers,Gav.

if i was the fisheries minister i would.

push very heavily to have the importation of prawns stopped or severly limited.

ban the use of cat nets.

allow trawlers to catch keep and sell fish,keeping in lines with rec bag limits and sizes.

push for funds to buy out ALL LATENT EFFORT from all commercial fisheries.

fine rec and commercial crabbers who crab in channels and around wharves.

raise the fines and make it much harder to remove mangroves.

do my best to get camera surveillance at boat ramps and jetties.

jeez i could go on all night!!

i would leave all the size limits and apparatus and zones as they are for now.if research showed all was good id love to put the snapper limit back to 5 fish.
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

First and only step at this stage..serious research as to current state of the fisheries...then after that is done and peer reviewed..make decisions as necessary.

I am not in favour of any closures or alterations to current bag/size limits without any serious research being done.

Does not matter what he does, it will always be wrong. Seems peer reviewed study has not been accepted by AF in the past Pinhead, so what would make it any different now?

Plus, just a few posts in and we already have people contradicting each other.

Tough ask I say.

Absolutely. First class independently obtained data to avoid the garbage in garbage out syndrome.
    I like fisher28's comment re latent effort.
    Big subject, need some knowledgable folk giving input from first-hand experience.
    Improved market strategies for our own products.
    Encourage husbandry rather than exploitation of the the fishery.
    Most of all though, an honest desire by all stakeholders to succeed in delivering an effective medium to long term strategy based on consensual rather than arbitrary decisions.........

My thoughts are well known Ivan.

" as fisheries minister I would assert my responsibilities and place in the pecking order , put DEEDI, DERM and QPWS on notice that I am in charge of the biggest recreational activity Queensland holds, which also funnels Billions of dollars into the economy and thus, THEIR pay packets. I would push ( real hard ) for FQ to be open and acsessible to the recreational fishing public and to strive for a better understanding and relationship between rec fishos and FQ. My goal is to have Qld sit atop of the Recreational Fishing destination for all Australian and overseas fishos through aggresive management methods ( based on sound science etc ) , public relations and well thought-out and popular rules. In association with that goal is to have the most extensive range of multi and specific purpose artifical reefs in the southern hemisphere. "

" If I were Fisheries minister for Queensland, more people would be fishing instead of worrying about rules, regulations, fish stocks, green zones, pollution etc ".

" If I were Fisheries Minister, recreational fishing and the benefits thereof, would be in the school ciriculum ".

" If I were Fisheries Minister, I would ban Tangles form buying any more fishing tackle "

Just a touch on my thoughts.............

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 13-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Offer to buy out as many of the Pro's as possible.

Louis

Battle my arse of to get some kind of budget from treasury would be a good start. No money - no KPI's!
    Raise the profile of my department, if that fails then tell people I am a tahitian prince and steal 14million from Qld Govt, then buy mud island and set up a Base Camp. he he he he.
    Raise the profile of my portfolio, get funding and get results. Easier said than done.

Ban nets of all kind.

Call a protracted long term tender to purchase and maintain the nessersary equipment to reposition the said minsters head from the said minsters sphinter.

feather the minsters own nest

dis-reguard any feed back from rec fishermen

not to hard really the instructions would be in the fisheries minsters manual in the bottem of the desk.

He could try and set a bio mass tonnage that would indicate stainable use and allow and increase in bag limits when reached.

I think the 2nd and 3rd are the most likely.

BigE

I would manage the fishery on the premise that it would be in a better state when I left it, than what it was in when i acquired the ministry.
    I would ban the use of the term "sustainable" management and insist on a management paradigm that had restorative management as its goal.
    I think my views on how to achieve this are well known.
    I would move the commercial sector away from an extractive industry footing, to a sea farming footing( put & take).
    In the process create hundreds, perhaps thousands of jobs in the fish production industry, so that all commercial operators had a more secure industry to plan their futures in.
    Under my ministry there will be more fish and more fishing ,,,, for everybody

DID I GET THE JOB????

Formally change monday to a day strictly for fishing, making it illegal to do anything else.

# Vote Jack 2012

I would make a 10 km exclusion zone around around mud and employ someone I know to be a permanent fisheries officer to keep the baddies at bay and then I personally move my office to Hervey bay !!!😜😜😜😜😜😜 I hope this idea sits well with everyone thanks Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I would make the entire east coast a green zone and employ myself and a few mates to do extensive research into fish populations by going fishing a lot. I would purchase Greg Normans vessel "Aussie Rules" to use as my research base and mobile headquarters. I would only "attend" cabinet via conference calls and probably only in the case of bad weather or needing a break from the research side of things
    Anyone willing to be a research assistant?

Seriously I would:-
    1. place a sunset clause on all inshore fishing licences and start buying back commercial licences that have a high impact on the total fishery
    2. combine Marine Parks, Water Police, Boating and Fisheries and a State run Coastguard and operate them out of the same bases
    3. invest heavily in research into fish populations and investigate farming and other techniques to increase biomas of preferred species
    4. build more artificial reefs along the coast
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"