Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do as Fisheries Minister to sustain our fisheries?

Re: What would you do as Fisheries Minister to sustain our fisheries?

Ban catching fish during their spawning season where possible for at least 5 years . Import more prawns or farm them. Increase funds for re-stocking programs and agree with a lot more artificial reefs.

Create lot more artificial wrecks like Tangalooma & Curtin

[QUOTE=Horse;1371773]I would make the entire east coast a green zone and employ myself and a few mates to do extensive research into fish populations by going fishing a lot. I would purchase Greg Normans vessel "Aussie Rules" to use as my research base and mobile headquarters. I would only "attend" cabinet via conference calls and probably only in the case of bad weather or needing a break from the research side of things
    Anyone willing to be a research assistant?

Research assistant is fine with me if I can't be the minister , even the deckie job on Aussie Rules would do thanks Matt

PS I thought this was the serious part thanks again
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I would start by increasing all minimum size limits except crustaceans by 5cm. In two or so years the average sizes will catch up to a better meal sized fish.
    Secondly I would employ heaps of fisheries inspectors and spread them out right across the state and have them in force, week in and week out. Make the penalties apply to demand respect to size and bag limits.

I do not see any way of realistically assessing our fishery to an accurate degree that everyone will be happy with so I would rather up the size limit and enforce it better.

The pro's should be encouraged into farming practices at specified areas.

I would put an imediate stop to all export and import of fish and fish products to and from Australia. The Australian fishery should cater for Australian markets, not reap it dry to satisfy the overseas markets. Stopping imports will stop the potential importation of diseases and pests via that avenue. If a person wants to be a commercial fisher in Australia they will do so to supply the Australian market only. This would probably protect Australian fisheries more than any other means.
    Jack.

There are all sorts of good tactical suggestions here.

Whilst they are under discussion, I would employ a reputable firm of economic consultants to estimate the economic value of all aspects of the fishing industry, comprising amateur, professional, retail, tourism and industrial elements on the state's GDP so as to get a firm view of the scale of the leverage that the industry should have in setting government priorities.

I would remove all stroppy sullen bastards with a chip on their shoulder from the boat ramps and make them launch off the beach.

Cheers

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mudriverdan View Post
    i would remove all stroppy sullen bastards with a chip on their shoulder from the boat ramps and make them launch off the beach.

lol!

For SEQ, i suggest...!

MORE ARTIFICIAL REEFS (give us some around the northern end huh)
    MORE FISHERIES OFFICERS (HUGE penalties to offenders - could do with more of these guys around home)
    NO NETS AT ALL - inc cast nets - for rec fishers (that hurts a bit)
    1 JENNY CRAB - all species - P/P (non egg-bearing)
    &
    As Jack said, agree with increasing size limits
    Thanks
    Deano

1. Walk into the EPA ministers office and remind him/her that the ALL management of fish stocks was my responsibly and demand a review of every individual zone within all state marine parks. Make the minister justify how each and every zone required to be zoned as such for habitat protection purposes(EPA responsibility). Any zone such as a green zone that could not be justified on habitat protection grounds would be removed completely or rezoned to reflect such outcomes.

2. Outline blocks of coastline to be bought out and changed into Recreational Fishing havens (RFH). Offer to employ commercial fishermen that were bought out in that area in each RFH as part of the area salt water restocking group.

3. Fight the Premier for a guaranteed 70% of the revenue from boat and trailer registrations and 100% of the revenue of all fishing related fines.

4. Increased fisheries patrols in all regions and fund a Volunteer Fisheries Inspector (VFI) program. The VFI's would have to meet certain criteria before attending a training and accreditation course. VFI's would then have the power to inspect fishing catches of other Recreational Anglers and issue standard on the spot fines (kind of like the Army Reserve for Fisheries Inspectors).

5. Outline a set percentage of annual revenue to constructing artificial reefs up and down the QLD coast line (for both Rec and Commercial Fishermen). With a view to create reef groups in groups of 3 individual artificial reefs. At any one time one of the reefs will be fishing free for a year at a time on a rotational basis so you have 2 fishable at any one time and the third being spelled for 1 year. Divers would be allowed to dive the the spelled reef for that year.

6. Every time a fisheries regulation changed, details of that change and the whole bag and size limit regulation would have to be sent out to every registered boat owner.

7. Change the fisheries QLD charter to researching possible outcomes to "Increase the Sustainable Yield" of both Recreational and Commercial fishermen.

8. If a species of fish was deemed to be "Under Threat" and that species happened to be an export species. The first restriction that species would have applied to it before any other measures is the banning of the export of that species. If QLD does not export internationally (but do so to other states)that species but other states do, the interstate selling of that species would then become restricted.

9. Steps would be made to encourage aquaculture of any species that is exported to relieve pressure on wild resources.

10. Bring the states boat ramp facilities up to a standard befitting the amount of taxes Anglers have paid to sustain such facilities.

11. Work heavily in conjunction with the tourism minister to promote fishing (nationally and internationally)in the areas that have been created as RFH's.

Just the start............
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Put someone in charge of Fisheries, that actually knows what they are doing and passing judgement on.
    By that i mean someone who actually fishes and knows what going on out there.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Put someone in charge of Fisheries, that actually knows what they are doing and passing judgement on.
    By that i mean someone who actually fishes and knows what going on out there.
    A rec or a pro fisher Webby???

A poisoned chalice for whoever takes the position from one side or the other.
    Jack.

Buy all licences back off the pro's, invest into sustainable aqua culture. Also set the bag limits so that ppl are taking only enough fish to eat for that or the next day (easier said than done)
    Mostly though have our taxes and fines and rego's actually go back to our specific infrastructure.. now that would be different.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

1. Get rid of all green zones.
    2. Employ another couple of dozen compliance officers.
    3. Allow small amounts of undersize plentiful traditional bait fish like NSW does.(IE poddy mullet)
    4. Remove all commercial licences for traditional recreational species (including bycatch), eg Whiting, flathead, bream, snapper, tailor,
    5. Allow salt water stocking (and provide funds to stocking groups)
    6. Ban netting in any areas that hold stocking permits.
    7. Make commercial fishing charters catch photo and release.
    8. Remove max size limits on shark fishing.
    9. Increase Possession limits for stocked fish in impoundments, maybe for salt stocked areas as well.
    10. Allow tourists areas to self declare as no commercial fishing zones
    11. Require farmed fish used for commercial fish food production to be minimum legal size and set up a new compliance role for checking fish in commercial suppliers etc for both breed truth and minimum size
    12. Allow stocking of breeds out of native range, EG Barra south of Maryborough, Yella's and silvers on east coast (New permits they wont give them) Perhaps use of Eastern Cod in southern Qld dams as we cant get Mary Cod. Even Murray Cod outside the Mary system.

Not to happy about number 7 there old son. I pay good money to go fishing on a charter every year and love recouping some back with beautifull reef fillets. Recreational fisherman cannot go out anywhere near this far and the catch seems to be sustainable from my experience of 12 years. Also I think Some green areas are a good idea and have proven to increase fishing stocks already. Also from previous posts; I cannot see how cast netting for a bit of bait is doing too much harm. Just my opinions. Liked some of your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    1. Get rid of all green zones.
    2. Employ another couple of dozen compliance officers.
    3. Allow small amounts of undersize plentiful traditional bait fish like NSW does.(IE poddy mullet)
    4. Remove all commercial licences for traditional recreational species (including bycatch), eg Whiting, flathead, bream, snapper, tailor,
    5. Allow salt water stocking (and provide funds to stocking groups)
    6. Ban netting in any areas that hold stocking permits.
    7. Make commercial fishing charters catch photo and release.
    8. Remove max size limits on shark fishing.
    9. Increase Possession limits for stocked fish in impoundments, maybe for salt stocked areas as well.
    10. Allow tourists areas to self declare as no commercial fishing zones
    11. Require farmed fish used for commercial fish food production to be minimum legal size and set up a new compliance role for checking fish in commercial suppliers etc for both breed truth and minimum size
    12. Allow stocking of breeds out of native range, EG Barra south of Maryborough, Yella's and silvers on east coast (New permits they wont give them) Perhaps use of Eastern Cod in southern Qld dams as we cant get Mary Cod. Even Murray Cod outside the Mary system.
    WHY /
    Shawn