Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unprepared clowns

Yeah ya gotta help... It's the Aussie way.

Part of the helping might be a gentle nudge towards a bit more knowledge and preparedness. Offering some good tips is generally appreciated.

But if we say 'Nah... The got into this mess by foolishness' we might be making a judgement that's wrong.

Sometimes events conspire against us and we get caught out of our depth... It can happen to any of us. What looks like foolishness might be because of a series of good decisions but each one having bad luck.

In any case let's advise and assist where we can.... Karma is a bitch.

Re: Unprepared clowns

Helping some guy bogged on Pondalowie beach in SA retrieving his tinny with the tide coming in cost me a $3500 front diff for the cruiser plus the next days charter I was booked on - didn't even get a "sorry mate". The diff shouldn't have gone in the first place but what made it worse was a mate in a 20 year old Pathfinder pulled us both off the beach. Ever since I've been happy to help but a lot more cautious of potential damage to my vehicle.

cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    The only way I learnt to recover my vehicle was either by someone stopping and showing me the way or asking and learning. You can't expect someone to learn how to recover if you won't give them the time to show them.
    I understand what you are saying, however my initial rant was the to do with the fact these people go to the biggest sand island in the world without a single thought as to what might happen if they get stuck. I did stop and help, at the risk of damage to my vehicle and recovery gear. Big of me i know, but still doesnt balance the thickheadedness of my stuck in the sand brothers.

You don't have to let your tyres down (it does help)...... People just don't know how to drive their cars..........I don't let my tyres down unless i'm on bribie island.
    i own a small/ medium 4wd so towing people out who insist they need 3 ton of vehicle on 4 wheels isn't really an option. ( or people with a hilux surf!) lol

But i always carry a snatch strap, shovel, and CB!

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyQLD View Post
    You don't have to let your tyres down (it does help)...... People just don't know how to drive their cars......
    Good advice I was given years ago is don't let them down too much at first. If you are getting into strife you can stop and improve matters by letting them down some more. If you get into strife and they were already right down you have no reserve.

Of course... That was years ago when you weren't likely to have someone up your bum impatient to get on while you block the track slowly deflating your tyres.

So maybe these days I would suggest going two thirds down straight away with just a bit of reserve.

That's my out-of-touch tuppence worth.

I live out in the (what was once and Bligh sold off to her mates) state forestry. So when I say I won't help, well, its because if I did, I'd be chewing up my 4wd more often than not, when these people go out and get bogged for the fun of it. Often just driving home on the freeway between Brisbane and Sunny Coast, let alone seeing the crew standing alone on some of the forest tracks off my home roads, you see their cars bogged right up to the axles. Nope - I don't help these guys and you can usually pick them as being d$%k h#$ds. Nope you go up a muddy road for the fun of it when you could easily avoid it, then part of that "fun" is getting yourself out.

As for people who bogg their cars on the beach, then expect me to drive my car through salt to help, nope, won't do that either. Going by how many by-standers you see up at Mudlow Rocks, I'm not the only one who feels that way about stupidity (but it is fun to watch). I'll help dig (when motivated eg if it is not interupting time with my family, food or drink), push, may even lend my Maxtrax if they seem to know what they are doing. But towing I try to avoid, as with using my equipment generally - unless it is a genuine case of just bad luck. At the end of the day I am yet to find somebody giving me their name and number and a solem oath to pay for repairs to my vehicle / equipment because I paid them a 'good deed'.

I think there is a big difference between someone who gets bogged through bad luck or lack of experience whilst doing the right thing (eg attempting the access at Inskip and being caught out by how soft it can be) and idiots. More often than not these guys doing the right thing, have their own gear. I do help these guys. Rarely will I tow though (esp with a Mono chassis). I don't like wasting my time on cars that don't have a true low range though. Such cars should not be driven in "serious" off road conditions (unless you are a really good driver) that call for the extra set of gears. I wouldn't be happy getting stuck behind a pretend 4wd say on the tracks to Orchard Beach or Nagala on Fraser (where you have no choice but to help). I remember when I was a kid (30 years ago), if you took a pretend 4wd over to Moreton, the ferry guys would put you on the barge either so the pretend 4wd would drive off first or last. I remember one year when they put this VW beach buggy on so it would drive off first, just so everybody could watch and see what would happen. The VW took off, hit the very soft sand and promptly got bogged. The ferry then moved the ramp and everybody else disembarked and just drove around the guy laughing and yelling tongue in cheek taunts as they drove past.

Those who are just being idiots (eg some of the types I see out in the forestry, the same ones who tend to harrass my wife, myself and my neighbours when we transverse the forestry roads in our cars to get home by tailgating, doing burn outs and fish tails endangering the rest of us, or burn outs chewing up the bitumen) - nope I don't help. In fact I get a sadistic pleasure when you drive past a few hours later and see their cars slowly sinking in the mud which they willingly drove into (often you can drive around it). One minute they're being an idiot endangering lives and destroying, the next their pride and joy is sinking in mud. Rarely will I help those who get bogged out in the forest near where I live, especially given the fact that it is such a regular occurance (unless I know them); I have better things to do than be an unoffical tow vehicle for every Tom, Dick and Harry (seen some good 'boggs' though), plus I spent good money on my car for my family joy - not theirs. If you are being an idiot 'cause its fun', then have fun digging yourself out with your own gear. Count it as a learning experience. Another time there was a young guy getting "air" off the dunes on the North Shore. He ended up landing hard and destroyed his oil sump on an incoming tide. Can't say I felt sorry for him (esp after working with a colleague who's relative got run over by such an idiot whilst beach fishing). He wanted a tow. I said "no". He wanted to use my oil. I said "no" (what would happen to my car if I needed the oil as a result of the soft sand driving?). Rather I told him to walk to the Ranger's quarters at Freshwater that was nearby and the Ranger could help. I'm sure he learnt a valuable lesson about why you shouldn't be a d%^k h%^d on a busy beach, and I'm sure the Ranger probably reinforced that lesson.

Nor will I help those on the beach if they are not trying to help themselves. If you get bogged, at least attempt to help yourself, just don't sit there expecting someone else to do all the work, to get you out (unless you are an incredibly good looking woman and will get away with it).

Yes some will say I have a selfish attitude, but as someone else on this thread hinted at, seems to be a trait now in our society that some expect to have all the 'rights' and no responsibility.

Personally, when I see idiots tearing up the forestry, driving up the grassy dunes or 'making' forestry tracks, being idiots on the beach etc, just to compensate for what they lack down stairs, it only gives their fellow idiots like the Greens and their retard allies ammunition to close it down for the rest of us. I guess that is another reason why I discriminate with who I do and don't help if I see them bogged/ in trouble. Don't encourage the idiots.

I help the bloke doing the right thing, for when I get bogged I also like help. But as for the morons...... well you didn't seem to get that many of them 30years ago down the 'Pin or on Moreton. But they seem to have bred like rabbits? At least Mudlow Rocks helps to cull some of their population .....