Thread: Leader size?

Question Leader size?

Hi, I have just purchased my first overhead baitcaster(Shimano Caenan 100) after having a few cast of my neighbours outfit. I have loaded it with 20lb Power Pro braid(never used braid before) and was wondering what size leader to go with it. As I am only new to baitcasters I went for the 20lb braid until I get used to operating one. I am looking towards flourocarbon. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Leader size?

About a rod length is suitable.

If you mean as in test/lbs, 12 lb should be ok, even 15lb Vanish would suffice.

Keep your leader fairly slim/light and go heavier only when you really need to, like if your getting busted off all the time.

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for putting me on the right track dan. I will try the Vanish. All the best.

I would steer towards 12lb.

You have used quite a heavy mainline.
    Braid is very strong and you may find in future that 20lb is more than you need, though braid is also thin so you should get away with it.

Cheers

What are you chasing with it?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

x 2 .. depends on the fish you are targeting and the ground you are over.... if you are chasing a lot of bread and butter species over sand or mud the leader can be lighter but if you are after some of the toothy critters over rocks or oyster leases you will want to go higher ...

I have found that I get more bites on lighter leader but also loose more fish to bite off or cut off on rocks etc.. I will generally use 20lb as the minimum these days with 30lb being the preferred for general use and out on the reef I will use 60lb or 80lb (flourocarbon only )
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back