Thread: Waterproof tape

Waterproof tape

Hi all,

Bought a new gaff a few weeks back (daughter donated our last to the Elliot R a couple of months ago) and it's a beauty - or so I thought at the shop when I saw it. The shaft has been 'knurled' (turned with a grip pattern on it - sorry metal workers of the forum, I'm not sure if this is the correct term) which is fantastic when retrieving fish , but absolute murder on any painted surface it comes within 2inches of. I'm not fanatical about the paint work on my boat (I bought a painted tinny afterall, I knew it would get knicks and scratches) - but this crazy and driving me nuts.

I'm wondering if there is a waterproof grip tape out there I can wrap the shaft in that won;t come unstuck over time due to water.

PS - to the forum smart-arses - yes, I have considered gaffer tape Not sure it'll hold longterm in the wet conditions.

Re: Waterproof tape

Not sure what tapes would last in the long run...?
    What about binding it with a strong nylon cord ...ala rod runner fashion.
    It could then be lacquered (if u want)...but should still give you plenty of grip.
    Should last for ages then.

Cheers

As Spectre said, bind it with VB cord and seal it.

VB cord and coat it with araladite

What about putting electrical shrink wrap on it? like you would on a wire join. Dont think it would give a lot if grip but will save the side of the boat...

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    What about putting electrical shrink wrap on it? like you would on a wire join. Dont think it would give a lot if grip but will save the side of the boat...
    Agree with this one, I also ran zip ties (anything you like really a nylon cord woul work) under the shrink wrap for that extra ribbed pleasure

what about the rescue tape that was being sold at the tackle and tinny show. Supposedly will seal radiator hoses and fuel lines and comes in a range of colours.

You could try the EVA tube material that is glued on to rods. Comes in various diameters & thickness. Waterproof, hard wearing but soft to touch.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

What about Heat Shrink rod grip material
    http://www.therodworks.com.au/379-Heatshrink.html
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I was thinking heat shrink, or whipping the handle.

That heat shrink that Horse posted would be the go. A mate of mine has a teaser pole for switch baiting that has that same heat shrink as the fore grip. I'm pretty sure Ian Miller made the pole.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

Thanks all - the suggestions were all much appreciated. I think I'll go with the heat shrink rod grip. Can anyone tell me what diameter the 'Black Heatshrink Tubing' is? If its a large enough diameter to cover the shaft it'll be great at $6.95/m.

Thanks again all.

Quote Originally Posted by spelchek View Post
    Thanks all - the suggestions were all much appreciated. I think I'll go with the heat shrink rod grip. Can anyone tell me what diameter the 'Black Heatshrink Tubing' is? If its a large enough diameter to cover the shaft it'll be great at $6.95/m.

Thanks again all.
    Check out the link above to Rodworks. As it gets bigger it gets more expensive
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"