Thread: Trailer hub dust caps

Trailer hub dust caps

Hi all I have single axle caravan and since new I haven't been able to keep the near side dust cover on. I have repacked the bearing on both wheels several times but every time I end up with the dist cover coming off and falling into the hub cover.
    I have got new covers and machined the lip so it is parallel and slightly bigger than the recess but it still comes off.
    I eventually held it on with sicaflex and it comes off on one corner. I can't use bearing buddies as the dust cover size is 63.3mm and the bearing buddies are 45mm.
    I am going to replace the bearings as I can't think of anything else but the bearings are OK.
    Anyone any ideas and yes I know how to pack bearing as I have done so for many years.

Re: Trailer hub dust caps

Hey buddy, the main reason I have seen this happen is the wheel bearings being loose. If the bearing is slightly loose the hub can run out of line and the stub axle/nut can bump into the dust cap loosening it.
    I would always glue them on with sikaflex or similar mainly so no water can get in.
    If the dust caps are loose try tapping them on there sides with a hammer slightly to make them oval shaped which will make them slightly tighter in the hub. Still glue them on though.
    Hope I could be of some help, cheers redbeard.

Re: Trailer hub dust caps

Thanks for that it seems as it is an a occasional problem.
    I got new bearings and I never had excess free play in the bearings as the axle is a good one with a fine thread and two pin holes so fine adjustment can be achieved.
    I used sikaflex again so we will seen in 12 mths how it goes.