Thread: Interesting catch today in the Rous...

Interesting catch today in the Rous...

Was tossin some SP's about this morning at the Wall. Picked up a nice snap that went 50cm and shortly after, had a hard hit that took off, but once I had it turned it basically gave up and planed in across the surface.

At first I thought it was a Moses perch, then when it came on board I thought maybe a jack, but a closer look and yes, confirmed by the pits in from of the nose, it was a red bass! Never seen one of these in the Bay before, so a first for me. Unfortunately didn't have a camera and phone on the bonk, so no pics.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has ever caught one of them in the Bay?

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Re: Interesting catch today in the Rous...

I haven't seen any reports of Red Bass being caught in the Bay, although with northern fish such as Barra being caught on the Gold Coast I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few Red Bass in the Bay.
    Nice catch, but certainly not a table fish as they're a ciguatoxin carrier.
    Tight Lines.

Yes, am aware that the are "no take" species and he went back over the side to his mates.

I know of quite a few coral trout appearing in the Bay and some years ago I caught a juvenile chinaman fish at Peel, so having these kinds of "tropical" fish in the Bay is not new, just have never seen or heard of a red bass before.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Caught 1 at hutchies, 4 year ago
    Dont you feel ripped off when you see the holes in the nose

Quote/ Unfortunately didn't have a camera and phone on the bonk, so no pics.
    Plenty of time for that, camera is a priority.

we caught three, one after another at brennans shoal yesterday. . all around the 50 cm mark along with a few nice spanglies and green jobs.

I caught one around Christmas time year before last at Hutchies that went 13kilo and over a meter long wasn't far off a Australian record at the time.nice catch for inside the bay though!

I picked up a small one on a productive piece of ground in the Rainbow last year. I have also pulled a small Barramundi Cod and a Hussar from the same spot
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"