Thread: Running on one motor when you have 2 motors

Running on one motor when you have 2 motors

I have 2 x 75 etecs the boat plains fine with one...........and is heaps cheaper to run..........is there any problems in doing this?

Re: Running on one motor when you have 2 motors

Not if its propped ok but if its set up for two motors you may have taller props. What do your motors rev out to with both running and then with one only?

How much fuel do you use running one vs the two? Where are you by the way?

I only run on one at slow speeds but use the two when on the plane. Mine are pretty economical probably due to the tall props fitted.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

As Chimo says, its all about the props. The fact that you can plane ok on one motor is a good sign, but check that it will rev up to your rec max revs, otherwise it is labouring and that's not good long term. I would guess its using a fair bit more oil working solo too?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    As Chimo says, its all about the props. The fact that you can plane ok on one motor is a good sign, but check that it will rev up to your rec max revs, otherwise it is labouring and that's not good long term. I would guess its using a fair bit more oil working solo too?
    Using both motors I think I'm only getting one KLM per litre. I can't afford that on a long trip cause I only have a 160 litre tank. With one motor. I'm not sure as yet not full tested but yeah allot less. It sits on same speed as 2 motors with one at four grand. I suspect there not set up right. I think the motors are to low

If your boat is set up properly, then you should get very little fuel advantage running one motor instead of two, my guess is your motors are either not propped correctly or are baddly positioned on the boat, we need to know a few more facts first, as in max RPM with both motors at WOT, I suspect you maybe going to hit the rev limitier, OH, and post in the boating section for boat stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    If your boat is set up properly, then you should get very little fuel advantage running one motor instead of two, my guess is your motors are either not propped correctly or are baddly positioned on the boat, we need to know a few more facts first, as in max RPM with both motors at WOT, I suspect you maybe going to hit the rev limitier, OH, and post in the boating section for boat stuff.
    I agree I beleive the motors are to deep in the water............I dont know how many RMP at WOT as its a llot of horses to open up and havent had the conditions to do it.

They are throwing water up and I can almost feel them draging.

they may be too deep, but remember, they are also too deep when running on one! you will need to go for a run in some flat water to get max RPM, untill then, we are just guessing what is possible.

Did you test drive it before you bought it?

These questions are probably best asked in Boating Chat, not Saltwater Chat. I am surprised the moderators haven't moved it. You'll probably get a better pool of people over there, including outboard mechanics etc. to answer your questions.