Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mossy's big dummy spit

This threads got me thinking of my distances. I am crap at judging distance.... I know what the footy field markings look like, but never can mentally translate that on to the water. I will trial it with some beacons on the gps... But it can be out as well.

I have a few questions about all this. I really would like to do the right thing and share the water happily without giving anyone any grief.

Say for instance your on the plane in a 5.75 glass boat rounding peels sw beacon heading to Manly. There's lotsa boats there drifting or anchored fishing. How far off them should we be? 50metres?

Next thing.... Since the wake keeps traveling till its spent on a shore, what difference does it make 100 metres or 50 or 20? Obviously apart from allowing for anchor lines and fishing lines and scaring the fish. .

What about when you are in a narrow channel on the plane and there is a tinnie anchored just out of the channel. Should you slow down or keep going?

It seems to take a while after I drop off the plane before the wake is much smaller... Need to get down to about 4 knots I think before it dramatically reduces.

Any thoughts? I don't want Mossy firing up and chasing me waving his fist and teaching me new words.... 😄

(sorry for using your name in vain Mossy.,, we haven't been introduced so I really shouldn't be taking those liberties)

Re: mossy's big dummy spit

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT2382 View Post
    lol ya should've had me with ya mossy i would've done the "Haka" on them!!

Do you mean "Haka" or "Hopoate" Billy? Then you could be a real pain in the arse.

TOL
    Last edited by theoldlegend; 16-04-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Thats like the gentleman near me at Dohles Rocks yesterday . There I was drifting along in my own little world , and this gentleman thinks it would be a fine idea to anchor 5 mtrs away from me directly in the drift line . Did I say or do anything ? , no , I thought that if this gentleman thought nothing wrong with doing what he had done , then giving him a gobfull or belting him was not going to make him grow a brain .
    ( The above is in no way a rebuke for the actions you took Mossy )
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    Do you mean "Haka" or "Hopoate" Billy? Then you could be a real pain in the arse.TOL
    The smell of stinky bait is enough for me don't know about no stink fingers on my boat. LoL

Pinhead - pretty much hit GOM at 21, it suites me I always been a GOM in waiting.

I don't want people thinking i am some kind of nut case who goes around abusing people cause it's not me. I'm a lover not a fighter but when it happens once shame on you but 2 days in a row, close enough to spit on.... shame on me.

I try to be curtious of other boaties and common sense is a big part of it, no need to pass me within 15 mtrs at wide open when they got the whole bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    Hahahahaha usually I just flip them the bird but this was the same pair of muppets in their black 485 that did the same thing to me yesterday when me and my mate were fishing but there was no other boat near us. Go wider its not hard. My mate nearly went a-up. Lets just say they were lucky they didn't get a bucket grinners in their boat i sure caught a few?
    I recall a couple of months back i was fishing with Davo and while i was on bait he was on plastics his famous last words were "since switching to plastics i catch less scavangers" i admit not his exact wording but close enough

isnt a grinner a bit of a scavanger??? i could be wrong we dont target them as bait fisho's so i dont normally have them in the bucket

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    isnt a grinner a bit of a scavanger??? i could be wrong we dont target them as bait fisho's so i dont normally have them in the bucket
    Really? I always thought winners were grinners! Any of the grinners that land on my deck usually end up down the throat of my mate sea bird just lucky I use Z-man's or it would cost me a small fortune to keep catching grinners.

Didn't think the bait guys target much as they spend 90% of their trips re-baiting

[Didn't think the bait guys target much as they spend 90% of their trips re-baiting [/QUOTE]

Thats cause your doing it wrong....
    i

I recall a couple of months back i was fishing with Davo and while i was on bait he was on plastics his famous last words were "since switching to plastics i catch less scavangers" i admit not his exact wording but close enough

exact wording: catch less vermin. my definition of vermin includes sharks, rays and catfish. grinner is in its own class. and i do know someone who has eaten one and declared it as good as whiting (just more bones). reckon he must have been real hungry... and i dont think anyone targets them either. but we all know that fish in general prefer plastics to bait so it's hardly suprising that plastics boys catch more grinners than bait boys. they catch more of everything lol
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Vermin. that was the word i was looking for.... Im heading out this saturday Davo will you be about? going to leave whyte Island about 5:30 i hope. Dont rekon i will be trying one any day soon.

I know where you're coming from, Mossy, and sometimes the ol' temper gets the better of us. Have had it happen to me countless times over the years, and like you said, the first time you get annoyed but accept it. Anytime after that and it SEEMS almost intentional. Gotta wonder what they're thinking (or not thinking).

I even have it happen landbased. Had a mate recently who almost turned into a prophet by walking on water. Fishing livies from the bank, and same tossers cruised (at least 10kts) back and forth along a semi-narrow part of the river. While I was wondering what this tool was thinking, my mate tried to walk out to him tio get some wnswers as he slowed. Poor mate didn;t realise she dropped quickly after the bank, and was in up to his eyeballs. Out he came, and the most epic spray towards the culprits ensued. Their reply was that there were no other boats in the vicinity, so their speed wasn;t an issue. Didn't bother explaining that that wasn't the issue.

Takes all types.

Cuzza

Vermin. that was the word i was looking for.... Im heading out this saturday Davo will you be about? going to leave whyte Island about 5:30 i hope. Dont rekon i will be trying one any day soon.
    weather continues as forecast lucas, i'll be out at the banks with jason p.

i considered it, got friday off work how far is the banks in kms???

roughly 50 from mooloolabah i believe.

My idea might not be correct but hey cops are never around when you need them.
    So if they put lives at risk, a sling shot, ball bearings, sinkers or what ever else takes you fancy and fire away.
    Idiots like that don't deserve any better.

Easter's always a fun time on the water I braved the crowds on easter Monday and I can say Mud was a carpark hence the reason we did not hang around long way too much boat traffic. I was up the Scarbrough Ramp on easter saturday with my young bloke in the morning and it was madness. Dave I have come close to giving people a mouthful for being inconsiderate it is everywhere these days. Mossy if someone did that to me they would have copped the same thing.