Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny Fishing trips. Have you had em??

Funny Fishing trips. Have you had em??

Hi Guys,
    Just looking at Funchys' thread about his humourous fishing near miss with a flathead in a yak.

I always seem to be in the mix with weird & funny events that occur whilst out fishing. I think its genetic

I had an experience years back with an uncle I went fishing with at Wells Crossing near Ashford in his tinny and he caught a big yella on a lure. He put it between his jean covered legs to hold onto it while he removed the treble.(because it was too slippery,apparently).
    The fish gave a good kick and as it fell the loose treble on the lure embedded itself into the crutch of his jeans and hooked right through into his Santa Sack, if you get my drift.
    The treble had hooked about 6mm of skin and went right through and the point had come back out of his pants and effectively pinned him to his jeans.

I removed the yella and he then realised he was hooked in a vital area but he couldnt get his pants down because he was hooked firmly to his pants.
    I tried not to snicker or break out laughing for my own sake as he was a big solid man without a sense of humour (at the time anyway).

I said , you might have to go to a hospital, to which he replied "aint gonna happen"

Anyway we went back to the bank and he was looking like a cowboy that just got off his horse and fell into a tackle box...! Words cannot describe this scene

He managed to break the point of the hook with a pair of pliers and gingerly removed it and surveyed the damage. At this stage he seemed to be walking fairly close to normal again.
    This incident was never brought up much again, except at regular family gatherings, and social outings.

Have you got a funny story ??
    Cheers, steve.

Re: Funny Fishing trips. Have you had em??

Oh owww... that's a classic.

I was on a houseboat up the sandy straits with my wife about 12 years ago. Thought I'd go and pump some yabbies on a nearby bank at Gary's Anchorage. Wife was fishing out the back of the houseboat. I landed the tinny on the bank and went to step out. Very soft mud. My leg went up to my thigh in it. The other leg was still in the boat, but on the side. I was straddling the boat. I couldn't get back in the tinny without flipping it. I didn't want to send the other leg into the mud. A bit of current flowing to add to the humour. It took me a good 5 minutes I reckon to work out how to lie my body down the side of the boat and roll myself back in. During this time, my wife caught a whiting and gleefully asked me to come and unhook it.... I remember being very happy to be back on that houseboat. Looking back now I know I should have just spun it round and got in over the transom,, but you don't think straight in those situations.

About 12 years ago I had a 12 ft tinnie with a 40 hp tiller johnno on it I was near the power lines out from the logan river and I was casting a net for some bait for me and my 5 year old boy i left the donk ticking over in neutral while I was casting trouble is the blasted cord came off my hand when I threw the net in and I went in straight after it keys wallet phone and all I managed to grab the cord but the water was about 12 ft deep and the bloody net wanted to drag me under mean while me little son is drifting away from me cause of the wind and I didnt want to drop my new net as calm as I could I told him to put the motor in reverse and come back to me with the boat lucky I had shown him from an early age how to change the gears and steer the boat it took him about a minute to get back to me as I said to him dont twist the throttle just steer the boat the little bugger even put the donk in neutral when he got to me in hind sight I should have said bugger the net and dragged the anchor for it thems were the days when I was young and bloody stupid now I am just older and still stupid. the little bloke is 17 now and is 4 inches taller than me but he still cant catch fish like his old man

Fuuuuny as boyz. I got a heap but the funny ones other than seeing my plate drift off about 10 metres off the ramp and swimming out to it. This story is about my mate and my old tinny. I just got it serviced and it used to take 3 to 5 times to pull start but this time i come back from parking ute to see him doing donuts at welly ramp and yelling out each time he faces me as he pull started it standing at back and it jumped into gear after first pull. I stood there thinking how did he get into this mess and how did he get to the back of the boat with his legs wrapped around the prop without loosing them but we finally stopped it and went fishing. I will never forget the sound of the skeg hitting the concrete ramp.

Oh and another quick 1. A mate was flat strap at redcliff with tinny and 25 4 stroke and i said lets fish here as the sounder showed fish and after hitting a sand bank at full speed we found out the sounder was on demo (we lived to talk about it) Cheers all DD.....

Hehe, I know of the odd person that has left their sounder on demo mode and wondered why they couldnt catch at least one of the many fish showing

Got another one for you.

A number of years back I was fishing for jew on the wall and had some big gear for jew and a little 7' SP rod for bream,flatties etc.
    It was 3pm on a weekend and I got sick of casting the bigger jew lures out for zip so I picked up my SP rod with a 50mm Drop bear rubber on a 1/0 jighead and had a go for something smaller.
    2nd cast and I hooked up to what I thought was a big lizard cause it just sat there and shook its head.
    It decided it was sick of playing around and headed upriver.
    400 metres and 40 mins later I landed a 22kg jew and had about 8 people following me to see what I had hooked.
    Got a few pats on the back and "good onya" with landing a big fish on little gear and telling me that I must have known what I was doing to land such a fish, So I soaked it up a bit bit and said something to the effect that "yeah, I'm a bloody legend"

Anyway the fish was laying there with its mouth open and the SP was stuck at the back of its mouth and I made the fatal mistake of reaching in to retrieve my SP and as soon as I touched the Jighead the jew snapped its jaws shut and locked on with half my forearm in its gob with everyone watching...... Riiiigghht!!!

Thats probably why I let Stonecold retrieve my SP out of a shark recently!
    cheers.

Funny stuff.

Fishing only last week with a#mate one night. He had a live herring about 6inches long. I had slightly heavier gear and a live pike about 14 inches long I got in the cast net. Both baits were weighted and fished about 30m apart.
    The fishing had gone dead about an hour ago when he got a small hit on the herring, then nothing. Wound a little and found weight there. Pulled it in and it's my pike, now with 2 hooks in its mouth and a herring down its throat!
    Worst part was that was the best fish caught that outing.

Cheers,
    Allan

Also seen a ski boat hit a sand bank#flat stick.
    If anyone knows the big sand bank just up from the yamba tavern, it's the size of a shopping centre car park. This guy tried to short cut the markers mid tide and ended up in the middle of it really bogging down his engine and spraying sand everywhere. It's only knee deep at most.

Blog Entries

Was out fishing the other morning and a shag landed on the channel marker beacon. The wind vane was slow spinning in the breeze and the shag had to duck his head every time it came around. He sat there for ages ducking his head looking for fish. I found it quite amusing

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Was out fishing the other morning and a shag landed on the channel marker beacon. The wind vane was slow spinning in the breeze and the shag had to duck his head every time it came around. He sat there for ages ducking his head looking for fish. I found it quite amusing
    Had a shag land on the front of my yak as I was paddling into Bells Creek about a year ago. It hitched a ride for about a k. Was probably the same bird.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

25 years ago i was working on the "lazy river" trawling prawns off mackay. my skipper at the time was partial to xxxx and one night at around midnight he decided we should head back out - after having spent the arvo at the pub followed by nightclubs. so off we go and on the way out i decided to cook up some hot chips. well the oil was hot and the skipper was not. went the wrong side of a marker and next thing we have a list of some 45 degrees. the pot of oil launched itself off the stove and went all over the wheelhouse floor and it obviously wasn't long before i was slipping in it and on my bum. those who are familiar with tide movements at mackay know full well getting stuck in the mud on a run out tide usually means a long wait. but skipper managed to dig our way back out and off we went to work. was glad to get off that boat because 6 months after i did she was sunk north of southport.

and this one: bloke i knew in townsville named steve. good bloke, gun pool player and good deckie. caught up quite regularly at the vic park hotel which was THE spot for crew and some non-elitist skippers. most of us drank there as it was only a walk from the marina. anyways steve goes out to sea one trip and discovers he has brought a case of crabs out with him - not the crustacean variety either. now not being due back to port for a couple of weeks and finding the itching intolerable he resorted to spraying the affected area liberally with baygon insect spray. i got wind of all this via the radio after he had been air-sea lifted the following day. apparently the doc told him he almost didn't make it in time. well, whilst i was at sea i was thinking of some wiseass comment to make when i saw him. the best i could come up with was:"steve - where you baygon all this time?" well he had obviously had time to rehearse also with his reply: "davo, like i've been telling everyone, we're going to let baygons be bygones." totally cracked me up and still does. needless to say steve was subsequently known as baygon.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by choco View Post
    Also seen a ski boat hit a sand bank#flat stick.
    If anyone knows the big sand bank just up from the yamba tavern, it's the size of a shopping centre car park. This guy tried to short cut the markers mid tide and ended up in the middle of it really bogging down his engine and spraying sand everywhere. It's only knee deep at most.
    I had a mate from Inverell do that at Yamba bout 12 years back and it took a lot of effort to get his 20' Glass boat off the sandbank.
    Its always better with a crowd watching!!
    We have had a few coldies at the Tavern at Yamba from time to time and those Bream under the walkway on the river are always hand fed potato chips.
    It always gets mildly amusing when somebodys child (or the parent) sticks their finger in the water
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    I had a mate from Inverell do that at Yamba bout 12 years back and it took a lot of effort to get his 20' Glass boat off the sandbank.
    Its always better with a crowd watching!!
    We have had a few coldies at the Tavern at Yamba from time to time and those Bream under the walkway on the river are always hand fed potato chips.
    It always gets mildly amusing when somebodys child (or the parent) sticks their finger in the water
    cheers.
    #Been 15 years since ive been there but was funny when a finger got put in the water. I do remember those bream. Not sure if it's still the same but there was some massive bream under that jetty. Use to be really good fishing up past the sand bank in the, at the time, newly built canals, before all the houses were built. Big whiting and lizards. We pulled one lizard up round the 80cm mark and a whiting at 43cm

Yeah Choco,
    They are still there and Geez they left teeth marks!!

Have I got a funny story...where you and I are involved they generally involve rum and coke and sharp objects!..........and band aids

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Have I got a funny story...where you and I are involved they generally involve rum and coke and sharp objects!..........and band aids
    Is that why you wouldnt let me use your chainsaw after a few R n Cs when we went codding??

No worse than the last time we went outside in your boat and I lost my footing and was half over the side when you grabbed my shirt and pulled me back in, and you were fishing at the same time!

Who said Blokes are no good at multitasking

Actually I was just thinking that we would make a bloody entertaining TV fishing show!
    "Stonecold & Rabbi" has a ring to it!!
    You out there Starlo n Bushy?? All we need is a sponsor