View Poll Results: With which hand do you hold your rod.

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like to reel with my stong arm and hold my rod with my weak arm

54 72.97%
  • I like to reel with my weak arm and hold my rod strong

20 27.03%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Hold Your Rod?

Question How Do You Hold Your Rod?

Recently I learned to hold my rod in my right hand ( I am right handed) and reel with with my left.

It made perfect sense to me and it is now how I like to fish and I wish I knew this was the way it was supposed to be ages ago as It is so comfortable and I couldn't switch back.

I was watching some TV today (not really my thing) but they had that show " IFISH" on and they were all holding their rods in their left hand but casting with their right hands over left and switching to reeling with their right
    Anyway it got me wondering how many people actually use their strong arm on their rod and reel with their weaker hand/arm.

I can't think of going back to reeling with my right hand.

Re: How Do You Hold Your Rod?

Yeh I hold my rod with my stronger arm (left) and reel with my weaker (right)

I think its the pro fisherman way sorry mate!

Cheers,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjack View Post
    Yeh I hold my rod with my stronger arm (left) and reel with my weaker (right)

I think its the pro fisherman way sorry mate!

Cheers,
    Jack
    What are you sorry for?

How a man holds his rod is HIS business and HIS business only.Not the thing we should be talking about on here.

Right handed and hold my spin rods and baitcaster in right hand and wind with left. Overheads I work the wrong way due to the difficulty I had trying to get left hand reels
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Maybe it is just a lure thing to hold the rod with your strong hand because you cast so much?

[QUOTE=Yellowjack;1369522]Yeh I hold my rod with my stronger arm (left) and reel with my weaker (right)

So you would be a mollydooker?
    I am right handed and class my right arm as the stronger, but, a cross caster. (No, not dresser ).

I cast with the right , swap rod to left hand and wind with right hand. Winding with the left just doesn't feel natural and its not coordinated.
    Watched Robson Green, last night , and with the big rods and reels that he was winding left handed he didn't look organised. He looked clumsy and was having trouble with the pump and wind.
    Last edited by Gon Fishun; 06-04-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Add on

What's it matter? I do both. The aim is to catch fish so whatever works.

I am right handed I hold rod with left and wind with right I have tried tried hold right and wind left but it is like writing left handed , bloody useless

Right handed here .... hold the rod in my left hand and undo all the tangles with my right!
    Jim

I generally try and get my missus to hold my rod.

Quote Originally Posted by sandbankmagnet View Post
    I generally try and get my missus to hold my rod.
    Hehe, funnily enough This is what I thought this thread was about
    Does it matter? As long as you dont break the tip off all is good
    Steve.

I got on to winding left handed after being alerted to the obvious efficiency of such by Rexxy in one of his early shows. And I have seen many a fish lost while a weaker-hand caster is doing the change over. Got confirmed some years ago fishing the skinny water in Barrington Tops. You had to be winding and taking up all the slack before the lure hit the water or no hookup. Any bass fisherman will tell you how often the lure gets hit in the first foot of the drop or even that the fish will be there waiting for the lure to hit the water.

Felt a bit funny at first but it just happens now and I reckon I am in contact with the sharp end all the time not having to change hands. I am a little annoyed that I bought some excelllent quality right hand wind baitcasters before I changed method.

I don't thnk a lot of people think or thought about it when they started and there are a lot more right hand wind reels around to start with.

Chaz

I'm a leftie and cast right & crank left. Have always fished this way. Having said that, I can cast pretty well using my left arm. Comes in handy sometimes.

The exception is one of my baitcasters that didn't come in left hand crank versions. For that one I cast right and swap over.

Like learning to cast with your other arm, it's only a matter of practicing in the backyard by lobbing lures at a target.

If you want to get used cranking left, when you sit watching TV, practice using a left cranking reel.

I use both. Always cast with my right (dominant) then for my light spin combos I wind left hand, my baitcasters/overheads I wind with my right, only because they are right hand wind. My larger spinning reels I like to fish left hand wind for soft plastics/lures and right hand for high speed spinning.

I find using either hand pretty natural but I can wind much faster with my right hand.