View Poll Results: With which hand do you hold your rod.

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like to reel with my stong arm and hold my rod with my weak arm

54 72.97%
  • I like to reel with my weak arm and hold my rod strong

20 27.03%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Hold Your Rod?

Re: How Do You Hold Your Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I got on to winding left handed after being alerted to the obvious efficiency of such by Rexxy in one of his early shows. And I have seen many a fish lost while a weaker-hand caster is doing the change over. reels around to start with.

Chaz
    That may be true, but you also may get struck by lightning too, the chances of a fish hitting the exact instant you are "changing hands" is of course a possibility, but it is prety rare, what it comes down to is, there is no right or wrong way, it is what you are comfortable with, sure some TV presenter may tell you that winding with your left hand is the "proper" way it is done, but hey, who the hell has any idea whether you are right or left handed? what hand you wind with is up to you, end of story.

I use both,I'm ambiguous...apparently.
    Paulo

A few years ago a tried the cast with the right hand and wind with the left using a bait caster, all went well until I had to wind fast to stop a fish going into a snag. It was like having two left hands!!!, lost the fish and never went back and don't regret it. I like to cast with the right, change hands as the lure touches the water, usually ready to wind the lure back as the right hand fingers rest on the handles. Also I like to hold the reel and rod with the left, I reckon you get less twist of the rod.
    I reckon everyone should try swapping hands so they have their own opinion, like I did.

Scott

I just go fishing and don't worry about it. If my rod needs to be held, then I need two hands.

Right handed, hold rod in left and wind with right as a rule, too many years using alveys, but cast left handed when spinning so I don't have that change over time which is the reel issue
    Ross

May your lines be as tight as ....

Oh crap on a SAO. This fishing thing used to be so simple.
    Go to garage sale and buy a 4" Alvey for $5.
    Go to another garbage sale (not a typo) and buy a rod for $2.50
    Go to local bait and tackle happy chappy (well the one at Viccy Point is a happy chappy) on the way to the water and get 1/2lb of green prawns, 2 long shanked hooks and a couple of sinkers and go to the edge of the water (either fresh or briney...it didn't matter) and thread the sinker on the 30 year old 12lb Snyder line, tie a hook on, thread the prawn onto the hook and chuck that prepared combo of sinker, hook and prawn into the water and wait for the fish to commit suicide.
    It's really obvious which hand you use for what. Alvey's can only be wound right handed can't they??
    And seeing your winding with your right hand you must be holding the rod with your left arm/hand. There's no other way is there??

Bloody hell. When did fishing get so hard?? Was it when they brought in these soft plastic dodads??
    I'm buggered if I know

As for which hand is under or over or up or down when casting....well I'm buggered if I know. I just do it. I've never thought about it at all.

This fishing is just getting too confusing on what gear I'm supposed to use and how to use it.
    I'm going back to using a hand-line just to save my teeny weeny knoggin' from all the confusion and thinking.

Can someone explain how I'm supposed to fish now-a-days??

PS: I didn't vote. Why??? I haven't got a clue which arm is stronger. I've never needed to know before this.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Who on Earth is this finga fella???
    Where did he get released from?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I'm going back to using a hand-line just to save my teeny weeny knoggin' from all the confusion and thinking.
    So what hand will you hold the line in?

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Who on Earth is this finga fella???
    Where did he get released from?
    I wasn't released from anywhere Jack.
    They forgot the lock the door one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    So what hand will you hold the line in?
    Well that would depend on if I'm eating a sanga or having a cup of tea.
    If eating a sanga then line in left hand. If having a cuppa then right hand.
    Wooden spool will be on the floor of the boat or on sitting on the bank with enough line just lying about for me to get tangled in.
    Simple as....yeah??

But I'll be serious for a second. I thought about this when I was doing some no more gapping yesterday and I really could not work out which hand went up high on the rod when I cast and which hand stayed down on the butt.
    It really got to me so I had to go out in the driveway and cast a rod.
    It's right hand high. Left hand low for an Alvey
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Depends on what i'm fishing for.
    Bream and whiting the rod is in the plastic rod holder.

Jewies and snappa the rod is in the stainles steel rod holder.

For reddies the rod is in the rack and the deck winch comes out.

BigE

It is very easy really and works itself out. I am right handed, so I hold my stubby in my right hand, in my left hand I hold my smoke. I hold the rod in my teeth and wind with my knees.

Don't catch much...

If you sit on your hands for five minutes it feels like someone else is holding your rod
    Otherwise if u look at my video's i use the 3 fingers on my left hand to four fingers
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Are we fishing for Fish in the Sea or the other Fish in Town? They both smell fishy, Both give a good fight and both lay flat onced reeled in. Once release, you will never catch them back

I am right handed and reel with my right hand.

When i was knee high to a whiting my old man used to let me play with his old fishing rods in the shed as he would prepare for a fishing trip. So i have been told, i used to always hold the rod in my left hand. I think it comes naturally, i.e. give someone who has never fished before a rod and reel but missing the handle.... see what hand they use?? Which side of the reel would they want the handle on?

I think as long as your compfortable and enjoying your fishing then who cares what some dick on TV thinks is the 'right' way to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    I use both. Always cast with my right (dominant) then for my light spin combos I wind left hand, my baitcasters/overheads I wind with my right, only because they are right hand wind. My larger spinning reels I like to fish left hand wind for soft plastics/lures and right hand for high speed spinning.

I find using either hand pretty natural but I can wind much faster with my right hand.
    I am the same. All my light lure rods are set up so I cast with right hand, wind left. Much easier than changing hands to wind in. I also have a light left hand baitcaster for this same reason.

Beach rods and offshore rods are all right hand wind.