View Poll Results: With which hand do you hold your rod.

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like to reel with my stong arm and hold my rod with my weak arm

54 72.97%
  • I like to reel with my weak arm and hold my rod strong

20 27.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Hold Your Rod?

Re: How Do You Hold Your Rod?

I'm left-handed...Alvey/spinner reels were designed for me/elitists ....imo

anyways , i hold MY rod between my teeth (can U do dat) ,crank with da right ,and rub my beergut counter-clockwise with my left (can U do dat)

hold with my left,,, wind with the right

play cricket left handed

play tennis/squash right handed

writing is not a problem with either

hold my smokes in my right,, but use the lighter with my left

steer the truck with my left,,, and normally have the right resting on the window pillar

fork in right hand,,, knife in left,,, but fillet fish/carve roasts etc etc with my right

was dropped 3 times when born,,,, nothing more to explain

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

For me the right way is the wrong way and i can't be bothered teaching this old dog any new tricks.

If it is so wrong to be a right handed cranker, why do all kids pick up a rod and crank with the right without instruction??
    Jack.

Thumbs up Re: How Do You Hold Your Rod?

I'm smart enough though to use the mouse with my righthand , and my nuts err "go right" in the trouser snake handicap !!

p.s. Tuna , there is "no handle" on an alvey for the "left-crankers" ,most spinners are outathebox right-crank, but generally changeable to left-crankers
    LOL , Happy Easter All

Hold rod with left hand and wind reel with right, write left handed, play sport right handed but play pool left handed, I'm a left handed butcher but eat right handed, use to surf goofy footed and box either orthodox OR southpaw and hold ciggie in left unless I have a beer in my hand so than hold ciggie in right hand. Go figure
    Last edited by Tailortaker; 08-04-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: was obviously posting drunk

I learnt to fish with an Alvey so I hold with the left and wind with my right. I have tried to change over but you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks. It's just too uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by chop View Post
    Recently I learned to hold my rod in my right hand ( I am right handed) and reel with with my left.

It made perfect sense to me and it is now how I like to fish and I wish I knew this was the way it was supposed to be ages ago as It is so comfortable and I couldn't switch back.

I was watching some TV today (not really my thing) but they had that show " IFISH" on and they were all holding their rods in their left hand but casting with their right hands over left and switching to reeling with their right
    Anyway it got me wondering how many people actually use their strong arm on their rod and reel with their weaker hand/arm.

I can't think of going back to reeling with my right hand.
    Think it is a matter of personal preference.
    I fish orthodox, reel right hand, hold with left.
    I have tried spinning left handed but it's just to difficult IMo to get good enough the few times I fish these days to relearn a new technique.
    I did buy an Alvey off ebay very cheap as it was a left hooker...thought I would givw it a try. Went to local oval, massive tangle on both casts so scrapped that idea and bought reversde/rh mount for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailortaker View Post
    Hold rod with left hand and wind reel with left, write left handed, play sport right handed but play pool left handed, I'm a left handed butcher but eat right handed, use to surf goofy footed and box either orthodox OR southpaw and hold ciggie in left unless I have a beer in my hand so than hold ciggie in right hand. Go figure
    That is an awesome effort..right hand spare to do anything else you want.

I hold rod in left hand and wind with right.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    That is an awesome effort..right hand spare to do anything else you want.

I hold rod in left hand and wind with right.
    opps, good pick up. Thats what happens when have a beer in the left hand and type with right

I did the change over to the right hand hold and left hand wind thing when it was the new fad a few years back and it worked ok.
    One problem i found was if you kept one hand on the rod all day and didn't change hands to cast it was very fatiguing for that hand.
    It is well suited to pitch casting as the americans do so i will leave it to them.

I'm right handed, I hold all my spin rods with my left and reel with my right, cast with my right.

For surf fishing, my reel is left hand retrieve, rod is too big to swap after a cast.

12 footer I tuck the handle under my arm when not holding it above waves.
    15 footer I stick the handle between my legs and hold it high, as it is too long to tuck under my arm.

The left hand retrieve is definitely easier in the surf.

Dan

when using lures that require finesse i use my right hand on the rod totwitch and control runs and to act as a smooth shock absorber a little better,but when high-speed spinning and when real cranking power is needed i switch toleft hand holding rod and wind with the right hand.... works for me lol imright handed btw....

Was this just a set up for double entendres?.... I was going to say that I use the two-handed reverse grip with a dry flannel for that raspy-ness, but then thought no.... I shouldn't stoop to that level, so here goes.
    I switched to the holding in my strong hand and winding with the weaker hand when I starting kayak fishing as I needed more control, especially as the fish gets closer. You don't need strength to wind.
    The only down side is now I struggle with an overhead reel, or any other borrowed gear..... I really struggle to wind with my strong hand now.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

I am right handed and use to hold rod with the left and wind with the right but i converted to holding with right and wind with left and wouldn't go back.But it is a bugger having a half dozen right hand overheads.

All my rods are double handed overhead types with right hand reels, so cast with my right hand on top of the bottom grip with thumb on the spool and my left hand on the bottom and then after cast I hold the rod with left hand winding with my right hand.

Cheers

Ed.