Thread: Handy bit of bi catch

Blog Entries

Handy bit of bi catch

Up at 2am and off to try get a Jewy or two after having so much fun last week. Paddled the yak out and was anchored up and fishing by half past. After last weeks epic runs and frayed nerves I thought I would up the insurance factor. Upgraded to the heavier 7ft rod, 10lb braid and 15lb leader. There was no where near the same surface action as last week. It was bottom of the tide and hardly a prawn jumping. Kept flicking around for no touches so at about 4am I paddled back to the car and swapped back to ol' reliable 6lb braid and 9lb leader. Paddled back, anchored up and cast out. By this time the tide had turned and was running in. Still not a lot of action, the odd bump and nibble but nothing substantial. I swapped over from 4inch Gulp minnow to 3 inch and had immediate success. My first every estuary cod. . Pretty fish and they fight well too for their size. He went back.

Kept casting back in and scored another little cod (wouldn't be suprised if it was the same one) Then at around 5:15 as a glow started to appear on the horizon I got hit by something solid with reasonable weight. After a short fight I had a 54cm flatty to the yak. I have lifted heaps of these into the yak before so grabbed the leader and in he came. As I layed him down he spat the hook and went ballistic!!! Next thing his head is right between my legs millimetres from the crown jewels......... I didnt move and nor did he......... stalemate for a minute or two while I thought what to do? Lipgrips are here I know I put em in this time..... uh oh.... flatty is on top of them.... very gently I tried to push him away from me then bugger me if he didn't go off his nut again.... I wasn't losing this one so with adrenalin pumping I grabbed him and got his barbs for good measure. Got the lipgrips on him, into my keeper bag and its all good

Cast back in and caught that same bluddy cod a couple more times. Had promised the missus to be home by 6:30 so paddled off with dinner in the bag.

Got a big day lined up tomorrow so will try and have a nanna nap a bit later!!

Happy Easter everyone!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0271.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	78660

Name:	GOPR0273.jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	78662

Name:	GOPR0272.jpg 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	78661

Re: Handy bit of bi catch

Hahahaha you need a bigger yak there Funchy Aint no room for flathead trying to get into the same bag as the crown jewels!!
    Jack.

Your fishing is never boring is it Funchy

Next week the tide will be closer to where it was last week maybe then that big jewie will be back.

Nice flatty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chas & Clarry View Post
    Your fishing is never boring is it Funchy

Next week the tide will be closer to where it was last week maybe then that big jewie will be back.

Nice flatty.

You been talking to my missus? She is the same.... "if anything is gonna happen it's gonna happen to you" she says

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    You been talking to my missus? She is the same.... "if anything is gonna happen it's gonna happen to you" she says
    We'll make sure that we throw in extra first aid and safety gear when we eventually get out with you...oh and definitely a video-camera "Australia's Funniest Home Videos" here we come!!

Nice fish as always Funchy

Nice work mate!!! awesome looking fish...Wow you are really having some serious fun!!! Now i need to get me that yak..lol
    Nice flatty too mate, the girls will be happy.

cheers
    Billy

Haha, I had the same problem out to sea in my yak when I caught a decent size octopus on an SP and I shoulda listened to Stonecold's advice to not put it in with me.

Had a fight to the death with an occy and it wasnt in a hurry to let go and it was stuck between my legs and comin for me
    Almost as funny as the day Katrina was rolling around the bottom of my tinny with a mudcrab firmly attached to her hand. The muddie won the first round but lost the second round at dinnertime