Thread: 10lb braid with 4lb leader for bream?

10lb braid with 4lb leader for bream?

I have recently added 10lb braid to my reels chasing flatties etc but I want to hunt for bream as well.

Would it be too heavy to run 10lb braid the a 2m 4lb fluro leader (or what ever length is better) or should I re-spool?

Will be chasing them with SX40s and some plastics.

Thanks!

Re: 10lb braid with 4lb leader for bream?

nahh use the light leader.

Light leader is better than a heavy one for breams.

Cheers

6lb have been working a charm for me lately

Blog Entries

I have changed over to the 6lb nanofil. Absolutely LURV it!!! So easy to cast and is pretty robust. Just keep an eye on where braid meets the leader for fraying.

Lighter the better mate

6lb braid 8lb vanish on one
    4lb mono straight through on the other rod

Both catch just as much bream from my yak.

Im using:
    6lb Nitlon PE braid
    8lb Nitlon DFC leader
    I thought this was on the heavy-ish side? I know people who use much thinner..

I also use 6lb braid to a 8lb leader for flathead and very rarely do I get busted off.
    6lb would have been a better allround choice I think

To answer your question SPOON,yes you can use the 10lb braid with a 4lb leader for bream, the only disadvantage is you may
    lose a bit of distance on the cast with the slightly heavier braid. You may find it difficult to get a bit of distance especially
    casting the sx40's (a good rod can also help with more distance) but plastics and slightly heavier HB's shouldnt be to difficult! If respooling is an option maybe look at braid around 6lb,this is a good middle ground between bream and flattys. You'd be surprised how much hurt you can put on a fish with 6lb line. I use 4 & 6lb braids for chasing everything from bream to larger school Jew in the river.

JASON
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

Depends what 10lb braid your using. You could be using 10lb fireline or 10lb castaway for example one is about 2-3 times thicker then the other. At the moment I am using Sunline Super PE in 8lb It is a nice soft braid that casts extremely well light enough for bream and heavy enough for most other species. I usually run a 6lb FC rock leader unless its quite clear and the fish are a bit spooky I will throw on a 4lb. In regards to leader length I usually run about a rod length but I don't let the knot go onto my spool as I find this can catch the braid and cause you troubles with windknots.