Thread: Gold Coast to Cairns trip - camping locations please

Gold Coast to Cairns trip - camping locations please

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions please. My wife and I are planning a 5 week trip in September this year to take the 4WD and camper trailer from the Gold Coast up to Cairns. On the way up we are planning to go via Carnavon Gorge, and then cut back to the coast around Mackay. We want to keep the driving each day to a minimum as we will have our 1 year old son with us also. We think he could handle about 4 -5 hours driving each day before he losses it, plus we want to stop and check out a few places along the way. Some of the places we had in mind were Carnarnon Gorge, Eungella National Park (west of Mackay), Airlie Beach, Mission Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas and the Daintree. I've heard Cape Tribulation is worth a look. On the way back I was keen to explore around 1770 as I have heard of a few places like Wreck Rock and Deepwater National Park are quite nice. If anyone can suggest a few places to stay throughout our planned route that would be very helpful. I am keen to find out places worth staying on the way out to Carnarvon Gorge and from Carnarvon Gorge to Mackay. Also around the Cairns and Daintree area I don't have a lot of suggestions as yet. also are there any other places I should seriously consider? Of course I will be throwing in the fishing rods just in case. Cheers.

Re: Gold Coast to Cairns trip - camping locations please

On the way back there are a lot of nice spots around Central Queensland. Deepwater National Park (Which encapsulates Wreck Rock, Middle Rock and Flat Rock), Workman's Beach campsite virtually 1km south of Agnes Water, Tannum Sands (caravan park at the beach), 1770 caravan park on the water etc etc. Inskip Point near Rainbow Beach is also worth a night or two if it's a relaxing trip you're after. Depending on how keen you are to explore near 1770 you can also get into Middle Creek in Eurimula National Park via a 4WD track from the road into Agnes Water.

Cape Palmerston and Five Rocks are another couple of places to look at near Mackay.

Mate you drop into the M&G at 1770 in September... If your lucky you might get a day fishing the reef !!
    Just and idea you might not have thought of.

Cheers and sounds like a great way to spend 5 weeks.

Thanks for the tips Leonp88, I'll look into those places and see what works for us. I'm keen to get the 4WD dirty so Middle Creek might be a good one to try. Fish feeder...if only I could take the 535 Yalta with me, i'd be hitting the reef for sure. Just got to work out how to tow the camper trailer and the boat at the same time. Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Yeah Middle creek is a great spot. Just need to be self sufficient Also around Mackay The Cape Hillsborough area is nice. We stayed at a little place called Hallidays Hideaway and loved it. If you are going to the Daintree you would be mad not to keep going that little bit further and do the Bloomfield Track and spend a night at the famous Lions Den hotel. Its not that far from Cape Tribulation.

Quote Originally Posted by fish hunter View Post
    Thanks for the tips Leonp88, I'll look into those places and see what works for us. I'm keen to get the 4WD dirty so Middle Creek might be a good one to try. Fish feeder...if only I could take the 535 Yalta with me, i'd be hitting the reef for sure. Just got to work out how to tow the camper trailer and the boat at the same time. Cheers guys, much appreciated.
    Now on here is a thread started by Lucky Phill-- Is this legal.
    You need to take a look --- it will solve your problems with the boat and camper trailer.

Sounds like a great trip.

Ronnie

Hey Fish Hunter, did you get a P.M. from Me?
    I might be able to help.

Haji-Baba

Hang a right just before Tully (midway between Cairns and Townsville, sort of) and try out the camp grounds at the Tully Coastguard on the mouth of the Hull River. $13 bucks a night on the best bit of Realestate you will ever find, hot showers & BBQ included.

Heres a pic I took a year or two ago.

Lucky Phill stayed in a house across from this a few years ago and may comment on it. The house got a bit 'YASI' ed and a new million dollar house is now in its place.

All good now

The Hull.jpg

PS

The coconut trees are not there now, last seen near Mt Isa with the contents of a lot of houses

All else is the same.

I like the look of this place. Will definitely be stopping by here to spend a couple of days lazing about. Looks just what we are after. Pitty about the coconut trees though. Cheers.