Thread: Brisbane River Mouth

Brisbane River Mouth

G’day guys
    Me and a mate are going for a fish this Friday morning. So we are close to home to make it to the Reds Rugby game Friday night we have decided to check out the mouth of the Brisbane River. We have never been in the river or the river mouth before. Should we be chasing bream/estuary fish, or what is there around the mouth that we should be chasing? We were thinking of taking the cast net along and seeing if we can chase up some prawns for bait as well as the crab pots? Also would the boat ramp at Colmslie/ fisherman island be the best to launch from?
    I’m going to check out google earth tonight and see what the mouth looks like structure wise but it would be great if anyone could point us in a general direction of what sort of fish we should be targeting.
    We have a 4m tinnie
    Cheers guys
    Rob

Re: Brisbane River Mouth

Robsie you get the usual estuary suspects as well as the odd snapper and threadfin salmon out along the new reclaimed rock wall on southern side of mouth. I have pulled some nice cod from the rock walls on the northern side of the Brisbane River opposite the boat channel where you launch your boat at fisherman island. Have caught some nice bream whilst watching my crab pots south of the boat ramp/bridge towards South point along the eastern mangroves(some good muddies on occasion). From memory there is are some old pylons jutting out of the water where we got the bream. North of the bridge and opposite the water police, MIcat and tugs is a mix of sand and soft mud where I have caught whiting and flatties whilst i had pots soaking around the point opposite the tugs (sand crabs here and the odd muddie) If the weather is good then try for some sand crabs out between the eastern wall of new reclaimed port and mud island. Word of warning, had a discussion here with water police that this was more than 2 Nm from land and we needed partially smooth water safety gear even though we were 100m off the new wall. Something about the reclaimed section had not been Gazetted by the government as land so 2Nm started at the end of the last of the docks. Kind enough to let me off warning and he was more interested the fish in the esky and how we were fishing. I now have the appropriate safety gear in brothers tinnie!

Thanks mate - very much appreciate the info.
    I did some googling and it seems anywhere along the rock walls or near the shipping terminals (at least 30m away) with some lightly weighted baits or on the sand bars should put us in with a chance of a fish. thanks for the tips on teh water police - being the long easter weekend if my mate doesnt have tyhe rights safety gear we might stay away from there - the police are bound to be out and about

be careful at the colmslie ramp, there is no pontoon and there is always current. they just added a new pontoon at the whyte island ramp - that might be the better bet for ease of access and safety.

what happened to the pontoon at colmslie,it was there 10 days ago?
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

Quote Originally Posted by fisher28 View Post
    what happened to the pontoon at colmslie,it was there 10 days ago?
    i'm pretty sure he means pinkenba

Colmslie always had a pontoon

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    i'm pretty sure he means pinkenba

Colmslie always had a pontoon
    aha,that would explain it!!
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

You could also try luggage point, especially if you ned livies as there's heaps there. Some good drop offs just there too which are worthhwhile. Luggage point is basically the last on the left heading out. Also called Poo point for abvious reasons as there's plenty of Bondi Mullet there.