Thread: Where to fish in Wodonga?

Where to fish in Wodonga?

I am in Wodonga for this week and Easter, any suggestions on where is the best spot to fish and on what type of gear to buy from locals..bait n lure types? Cheers, Hawko

Re: Where to fish in Wodonga?

Going back abit now ( approx 35yrs ) we used to net carp fingerlings from small dams for bait and also dig garden worms, head out to any small creek, river, small channel of water usually east of Wangaratta if my memory serves me right. We would target trout using any sort of rod and an egg beater, 6lb mono, no sinker, about a 1- 1/0 bronze hook baited up and would send it down the creek with the current into a hole or drop off where trout would be waiting. Look for a hole where the water spills into, go upstream 20 ft and then feed your line down into it.

Good luck.
    Bob

Anywhere around Albury and Wodonga is good fishing.
    Below the Hume Dam just opposite the trout farm has river access to some of the areas best trout and yellowbelly fishing.
    Other side of the river also has great access and much slower flowing water this time of the year (if the water has not been shut off yet)
    Up in the dam has many reserves and boat ramps and this time of the year you can catch plenty of Redfin and some Yellas off the bank on both lures and bait.
    Worms and yabbies are best and if you fish areas like under the Bethanga Bridge where the water is much deeper off the bank you can use deep diving lures for the yellas.
    Anywhere along the Murray is great fishing this time of the year.
    You can head towards Howlong,about a 30 min drive and fish the banks of the Murray for cod and Yellas as well.
    An hour from Wodonga is also Lake Mulwala which is one of the countries best cod lakes.
    Just below the wall there you can get heaps of yellas and the odd cod off the banks.
    The entire area is infested with carp and some huge ones too if you want to have some fun on them.
    Heading towards the Hume Weir just before the airport is Mungabareena Reserve.
    In the reserve is a chain of long lagoons full of carp and worms under a bubble float works a treat.
    That reserve area is also great fishing off the banks in the river for a variety of species.
    If you also go just past the Mungab turnoff there is another road to your right into Doctors Point.
    Right down the end of that road is another small river running off the Murray.
    That river also holds some great trout,reddies and yellas with a few cod also.
    Talk to the local shops and they will soon let you know what is going on around the local area and where is the best place to look.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it, heading out today to the Hume weir in a tinnie! Wish me luck, I have stocked up of worms and hard bodied lures for Redfin and cod!

Hi
    If you fancy a nice drive go to Lake Dartmouth for the day. Great scenery and plenty of places to fish along the way. Caught some nice trout up there. Apart from that Can you please send me up a feed of REDFIN-- I would kill for some.

Good luck
    Ronnie