Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's the redclaw??

How's the redclaw??

Hi all,

Looking forward to a trip to Somerset in a couple of weeks, anyone know if the redclaw are active??

Cheers

Re: How's the redclaw??

chaspion01,

Got quite a few last week. Rock melon & watermelon best baits.

Cheers,

kercus

They're smashing the claw at Borumba at the moment.

Dunno about Somerset but Samsonvale/North Pine is doing well

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Somerset redclaw have gone on vacation!

Still pullin' 'em from North Pine

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

got a few in 2-3 meters around the edges overnights this weekend. First time we've tried to catch em. A bit disappointed in the taste just boiled the lot, next time will try the meat crumbed or grilled with garlic. Pete

pete - cut em in half like u would a bug, let em sit in a bit of garlic and oyster sauce for a couple hours.
    straight on the barbie pull the hood down for about 5 minutes.

Good numbers still being caught, the boys got over 400 over night!!

Now your talking!! Tried em boiling the tails n okay but cut em in half with some garlic n chilli n grilled for 5 mins, brilliant!!
    cheers,steve.

Quote Originally Posted by chaspion01 View Post
    Good numbers still being caught, the boys got over 400 over night!!
    are they freezing them?? i have found when you get a big haul like that all together they die pretty quick. You gotta give em a sniff before you cook em cause they go off real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    are they freezing them?? i have found when you get a big haul like that all together they die pretty quick. You gotta give em a sniff before you cook em cause they go off real fast.
    I top and tail, and freeze the big ones within a couple of hours of getting home and save 'em for "entertaining". As soon as I get home I drop two frozen cordial bottles into the esky and they go quiet within an hour making it safer to dip the hand in the esky and top and tail 'em. Only eat the small ones on the same day. I have two shelves full of "jumbos" in the garage freezer (well over 500) all taken from 8 pots in the last month on North Pine. I swap some of 'em for prawns with a neighbour who works on a trawler................he says he prefers crays....................no accounting for taste I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    I top and tail, and freeze the big ones within a couple of hours of getting home and save 'em for "entertaining". As soon as I get home I drop two frozen cordial bottles into the esky and they go quiet within an hour making it safer to dip the hand in the esky and top and tail 'em. Only eat the small ones on the same day. I have two shelves full of "jumbos" in the garage freezer (well over 500) all taken from 8 pots in the last month on North Pine. I swap some of 'em for prawns with a neighbour who works on a trawler................he says he prefers crays....................no accounting for taste I guess?
    Yes i cant imagine how one would 'prefer crays' over prawns. I dont care what anyone says they only taste like whatever you cook them in. In saying that i do like eating them and so does my young fella. I usually keep enough for me to eat the same night i catch em or the next day at latest. I just pop em into the fridge for a couple hours to put em to sleep then take off the heads and halve em, then marinate them. Any that smell a bit strange go back in the freezer for burley later.

Are you catching yours landbased?? i never got a chance this season to look for any.

Cheers
    Deano

No deano,

I have an inflatable canoe. Find the big 'uns best at beween 7 and 12 metres, even over the flat without structure, although you can still pull 'em up against the rushes/lilly pads, but mainly smaller ones there.

When you say you "take off their heads and halve 'em" do you de-vein 'em as well? If you grasp the middle flipper of their tail and twist one way and then the next and pull, you'll bring out the vein with the tail. Saves eating dog or cat food

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    No deano,

I have an inflatable canoe. Find the big 'uns best at beween 7 and 12 metres, even over the flat without structure, although you can still pull 'em up against the rushes/lilly pads, but mainly smaller ones there.

When you say you "take off their heads and halve 'em" do you de-vein 'em as well? If you grasp the middle flipper of their tail and twist one way and then the next and pull, you'll bring out the vein with the tail. Saves eating dog or cat food
    Yea mate i devein em. I just wash it out when i cut them in half, i know of the twisty tail trick though. I have caught all mine land based around the forgan cove area, except a couple times when i dragged the kayak down and paddled out around behind all the snags. caught HEAPS doing this. Was great, fit 4 traps, esky comfortably, Then i realised it was not allowed. (Still see lots of people doing it though.)

Cheers