Thread: where is good to spear moreton bay and goldcoast region

where is good to spear moreton bay and goldcoast region

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows any good spots around moreton bay and goldie area to go for a spear, ive gone to a few spots recommended but we always choose the wrong tide and its too cloudy, any help/tips would be great
    Fishing isn’t a matter of life and death….

It’s much more important.

Re: where is good to spear moreton bay and goldcoast region

No where...

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    No where...
    mmm nopeee unacceptable answer, ive already got my gun!

What gun did you get? I've found spearing to be a more prolific way of fishing as the fish don't have to be on the chew. And the more you do it the better you get at it. The bay can be tricky especially with all the rain we have had to start the year off. The build up to high tide is the optimum dive time as it brings the cleanest water in, hence better vis. The only other thing, ive found it to be a great advantage to be a spearo and a fisho. As they corrilate and can be worked in together. The more you do it the more you will know what I mean.
    Stop professional fishing... before it's too late!

Quote Originally Posted by waterbouy View Post
    What gun did you get? I've found spearing to be a more prolific way of fishing as the fish don't have to be on the chew. And the more you do it the better you get at it. The bay can be tricky especially with all the rain we have had to start the year off. The build up to high tide is the optimum dive time as it brings the cleanest water in, hence better vis. The only other thing, ive found it to be a great advantage to be a spearo and a fisho. As they corrilate and can be worked in together. The more you do it the more you will know what I mean.

its a 1200 long free divers brand gun from adreano, and ive got a little hand spear as well
    and yeah i know what you mean that was the whole thinking if the fish arent on the bite just jump in the water and shoot the bastards. i heard the open side of moreton has some good stops and up north of moreton, some people even said give amity point a shot but as you said with the rain makes it far too cloudy and being inexperienced it becomes a bit of a worry lol. getting a new 4 stroke on the haines in the next month so should be able to get out to the clearer water im more worried about not being able to get to the depth i want but i guess if im chasing pelagics they will generall hang around the top anyways hey

amity point.

you should join up with the local spearfishing club. they get together once a month. great to meet like minded spearos and you will learn spots, tactics and more

- Cape Moreton and south on the ocean side of the island, should be no swell
    - Smiths Rock, which is about 2-3 km away to the north
    - Bulwer Ledge
    - 9 mile reef, about 7km east from Tweed Heads
    - Inner Reef, about 2-3km east from Cook Island, which is about 4km south of Tweed Heads

Still new to the area and trying to find marks & time as well. With young kids there's never enough time anymore..

We've dived Hutchies & Smiths a few times - off Cape Morton
    Also off Kingscliff there's a big reef off the harbour entrance

Haven't dived the bay - not to keen on diving in mud given some of the tonsils we've seen out on Hutchies..

G'day Remora. What are tonsils? Also, do you get much vis out at hutchies? Tried to spear Cape Moreton about two months ago and was barely four metres - westerly winds and no rain for ages,, so didn;t know what was going on. Just really green. Thanks in advance.

Cuzza

cuzza the green was probably a mix of rain and thermocline (?) i usually spear cape moreton and the adjacent coffee rock (yellow patch) in mid winter with brilliant vis. give it a couple weeks mate then have another look.
    cheers tk

do u have a boat
    Screaming drag is my drug

Search this forum for a fellow member that used to do a fair bit of free diving - Doug Hanning is his name. He had posted some awesome catches a few years ago. Spanos, cobia, tuskies.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    G'day Remora. What are tonsils? Also, do you get much vis out at hutchies? Tried to spear Cape Moreton about two months ago and was barely four metres - westerly winds and no rain for ages,, so didn;t know what was going on. Just really green. Thanks in advance.

Cuzza
    HI Cuzzamuindi, sorry mate missed your reply there..

Tonsils - Sharks
    We've been diving out off Amity point, we've found that the ground swell really affects the vis on the high tide. Low seems to be better, still looking around trying to find other dive sites to dive on the high tide.