Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seaway North wall hole loaded

Try a uni knot mate, works for me. Otherwise you may have a batch of faulty line

Re: Seaway North wall hole loaded

I thought faulty line too.

When you tie the blood knot you twist it 5 or 6 times and put the tail back through the loop near the hook, yes? then as you pull it down another loop it formed at the other end of the knot, put the tail back thru that loop , pull it all down tight and you will never have a knot pull out. I tie the same knot whether it be fluro, braid or mono. I even tie that knot with wire.

I was having trouble with the running sinker rubbing on the braid and fraying it so i was doing the same as you, braid- swiv-mono with sinker-swiv-leader-hook but i dont really like having so many joins, more places for something to go wrong. After say ten or so cast cut 6in off the braid and tie again.

But i really think it sound like the braid might be dodgy. And when your fishing in that rocky, pilon sort of territory, lock it all up tight. You cant afford to let jack run an inch or they will have you before you know it.

i use the same rig.. i tie uni knots though.. never fails. (the knots that is) soveriegn is tough because of the rocks against the walls so i would say your getting popped on the rocks.... 30lb braid will nearly always break at closer to 40/50lb .. Jacks fight hard but they aint gunna be busting ya off in a straight out battle on that gear.....
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Thanks heaps guys!! Only thing that sucks I just went and brought super pe 20lb braid haha I wish I went bigger!!! I'll have another go tonight and see what happens thanks again

brett where at sov are your fishing?near the bridge??

Nah not the bridge man just on the corners nears the houses the retaining walls are held up buy rocks so many snags!

Is it safe to canoe out to the hole? I have been reading some stories of guys drifting this wall and hole in kayaks with no problems. Just looked at the surf-cam as well and it doesn't look that bad at all. Small swell. Be great to chase something bigger.

If the swell isn't bad and wind isn't against tide it might be ok for a canoe but remember the flow through there is strong.

I guess it would be best if you time it for slack. And don't forget you might find yourself in the Pacific Ocean. That is ok if you don't mind getting dumped on the way in to shore.

I think I was wrong to comment above.... I've only been in and seen the seaway less than a dozen times.

I just read a thread about bar treachery and while the seaway is good it still has potential for big drama. So please ignore my post above and wait for more informed opinion.

I found many times that the uni to uni braid to mono/fluoro broke at the knot because the braid was cutting into the mono. I would have half the knot left over. I now tie a 50cm double in the braid first and use a double strand of braid and single strand of mono/flouro at the uni joint. Seems to not cut into the mono anymore and I am having far less failures at the join.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I found many times that the uni to uni braid to mono/fluoro broke at the knot because the braid was cutting into the mono. I would have half the knot left over. I now tie a 50cm double in the braid first and use a double strand of braid and single strand of mono/flouro at the uni joint. Seems to not cut into the mono anymore and I am having far less failures at the join.
    Yeah I do similar except instead of tying a double I just double the last 6 inches without tying it (if that makes sense) so in theory you are using 2 x braids to do the uni to uni. If I were fishing that area for the jacks I think I would have around 2+ metres of fluoro before starting my terminal rig. Lot more abrasive resistant than braid vs rock. Hope ya get one soon.

Hi,

Been chasing acks for a long time dont really chase them anymore as im adddicted to jewies and the jacks are quite easy to catch once u work out tides, winds,bait,structure and rigs.My advice alot wont like but fish slack tide top or bottom i prefer bottom but have caught loads on either.Braid yes for lures and plastics NO for bait as hook up rate is shocking need to run a massive leader if using braid with bait. I used to fish 30lb mono 40lb trace no sinker fresh strips of mullet fillet or tailor flesh 2 4/0 owner hooks snelled and use alot bigger slab than u think.Livies suck because they either get there eyes bitten out and die on bottom or they swim and hide in structures.Slabs are great with no sinker the bream smash them until the jacks get the whiff they will smash it.I have mates using this way to fish for them around tweed and are nailing them most nights have a try

+1 for a wind on leader. I run braid to 1-2 rod lengths of wind on leader then terminal tackle. Just what works for me.

Cheers,
    Allan.

i agree dont fish inshore anymore but use to when younger good advice dont need braid in shallower water catch fresh mullet slab it much better success been over 14 years since i done that or use lures