Thread: On Track 4x4 - over engineering!

On Track 4x4 - over engineering!

Ok, Let me say straight up, I don't do business with family. I go to all expenses to avoid it. But I needed to waste some money on the car for tax reasons, so I called up my sister who is married to a fella' that works at On Track 4x4. He is actually Phill's mate (thats how I got to know phill).

I want a few things done, dual battery fitted properly (ie, piss of my battery box strapped in the tray), some new tires, replace the rusted out tow bar (will tell you about this below), 90k service, and I wanted some spotlights fitted to the sports bar or whatever its called..

Well first glance at the spot lights, which I said must be able to be removed cause I am yachtie and need to rest sails and crap on the sports bar. Removable they are, but what these lads did was to weld a piece of maybe 10mm aluminium bar to the sports bar that would do a boat builder proud. The spotties are bolted onto a piece of aluminium about the same size, folded and shaped to bolt on the welded piece. I will take a photo on the weekend and post. You wont bust those lights off, ever.

The rest of this stuff, all done well, and I am a fussy sparky, i dont talk people up much.

If you want some work done to your 4x4, then against my better anti family judgement, I recommend these guys. The work is second to none, you wont be disappointed.

Now, about the tow bar. My car is about 4 years old (Nissan Navara STX). I had a factory towbar fitted. For all that own this car, I suggest you take a look at the tow bar if fitted. Look at where the compliance plate is fitted. The bar is painted, but plate is fitted before painting, so the whole area under the compliance plate is not painted. Guess what, it rusts out. If yours is still good, grind off the compliance plate and rust treat it.

Re: On Track 4x4 - over engineering!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post

Now, about the tow bar. My car is about 4 years old (Nissan Navara STX). I had a factory towbar fitted. For all that own this car, I suggest you take a look at the tow bar if fitted. Look at where the compliance plate is fitted. The bar is painted, but plate is fitted before painting, so the whole area under the compliance plate is not painted. Guess what, it rusts out. If yours is still good, grind off the compliance plate and rust treat it.
    Not uncommon on a lot of HR knock off towbars.

Thanks for the heads up on the good service provider.

Well let me be the first to NOT recommend them. They are over priced, lazy and do shit work. Everything they have touched, ive had to take somewhere else and get them to fix it properly at my expence. Got an engine conversion done once. Gave them the engine and truck and all adapter bits and large deposit. Told me 2 maybe 3 weeks max. 6 months later I got it back with a rediculious bill.

Gave them a diff centre with all the bits, bearings, new nitro crown wheel and pinon and solid spacer etc. Gave it back to me on the friday of a long weekend (when I was suppossed to go away) thinking all was good and asked them to check everything. Way too much slop in the drive shaft, lose and sloppy. A bearing race wasnt seated propperly. Thats fine as I put the races in (if that was the problem at all as ive put many many in before, and I asked them to check everything). Get it back again. Drive shaft is tight, roll it forward a metre, sloppy again. Get told its just the teeth and diffs just do that sometimes. Take it to a propper diff place. They check the run out on the crown wheel and say these guys dont know what they are doing. Get it back and its perfect now. Should have just taken it to the pro's straight away. And thats the story with everything.

Why did you go back after the first round if you were so dissatisfied?

I've never had a problem there.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Why did you go back after the first round if you were so dissatisfied?

I've never had a problem there.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I also had them put in a lift kit a while back. One of the shock absorbers decided to dump its oil all over my driveway. Took the car back and the replaced the shock absorber no questions asked.

At the time. They where the only place that could fit it in before the long weekend. Decided to give them a second chance. Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    At the time. They where the only place that could fit it in before the long weekend. Decided to give them a second chance. Wrong
    Bend over.

As Andy eluded to, this place is run by mates of mine.

Known Brad for too many years to remember and Brett near as long.

Don't know about Ben's " overpriced " comment........ they have been well under Dealership servicing costs at all times.

They have had mechanics come and go, as do all business's.

These guys live, breath eat, and sleep 4 x 4 and both race offroaders and with success.

I have recomended On Track to many many people over the years and Ben's comment is the first negative one I have heard. I am sure,,,,, no,,,, positive that Brett and or Brad would have done everything in their power to get a good outcome for Ben.

The trouble with these guys is that refuse to fit / sell or service crap or inferior products. The other thing is the information / service they provide.

I suppose with the many thousands of customers, there is bound to be the odd dis-satisfied one, but again, that will come in any business.

Brad is currently up near the Kimberleys in his new Ranger and camper. Yes, he is a Patrol man, but the 2011 Rangers caught his eye and they do everything he has expected of them.

So, if ya want ya 4 x4 modified to race specs, simple lift kit, tyres or servicing or maybe just some info........ ya know who to call down Slacks Creek way.

BTW... Linda is way better lookin than you Andy ........ sister..... really ? hahahahaha

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

There are plenty of bad reports Phil. Ask around the 4x4 community. Im not talking about simple service prices. And this was long before they swapped, and Brad was even there. Said 3 weeks, took 6 MONTHS. Then 1 of the fuel lines wasnt clamped propperly and broke free spraying petrol from a 500hp pump all over the engine and exhaust. I was soooo lucky it didnt catch fire. People dont mind paying the $$$ for a good job. But this just isnt the case.

I used to back them. But after too many problems with work they have done. And ended up costing me twice as much. Im not interested anymore.

This isnt a attack on them. I know they are great guys. This is just me being truthful from my experiences.

Yep, all good, thing is you'll find every business will have a disatisfied customer or two. Probably need to stack them up against the happy ones to get a ratio or at least a " rating " . ?

AS I said, I've been around the traps a long time, and yours is the first I have heard.........

speaking of which, my 130k service is due...........

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here