Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Navara D22 ST-R Special Edition??

Nissan Navara D22 ST-R Special Edition??

After the wife's car was internally washed by flood waters in Mooloolaba, we are on the hunt for a new car. The Navara D22 looks like awesome value for money at around 30k, and is probably the only DCab in our price range. I see the power isn't great in them, but I drive like a granny and will only be towing a trailer to the tip, or the tinny around (probably a few long trips). Also a few trips up the beach a year (without the tinny). Anyone know of any reason to stay away? I have heard one guy say that he has one and doesn't like the clutch... but everything else is great.
    If we dont get one of these, then we will have to resort to getting an x-trail or something like that.
    Have seen a lot of the Navaras getting around, but would like as much input as possible.

Cheers
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Re: Nissan Navara D22 ST-R Special Edition??

I've had the 2006 model for twos year now without any problems, including the clutch and I tow just under the 2 tonne mark. Like most cars it's how you drive. Your right is not great on power and the ride is a bit rough if you are use to a normal sedan.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Does it have to be a new vehicle? $30k would get you into a pretty nice 2nd hand navara/hilux/triton.

Doesn't have to be new but am a touch wary at the moment after the floods. Have heard of a few people "drying" their cars out, then flicking them off. If ours wasn't written off by insurance company then I dont think I could've trusted it. I was also talking to the mechanic that checked it out for our claim and he said he had a guy come in that had picked up a flood damaged kluger from the auctions for about 15k..... dried it out and sold it for 30k. It might sound cynical, but I don't know if NOW is the right time to be buying 2nd hand. Only dealers have to disclose a cars history, and an aftermarket warranty aint worth the paper it's written on. Have never owned a brand spankers.... but piece of mind comes into it I guess.

Just had a quick squiz and the only toymotors I can get for 30k have between 200-300,000 km on the clock..... are they mental???

30k won't get you much in a hilux

Go for the navara @ 30k it's a better option than the great wall IMO.........30k would get you a decent 2nd hand colorado though.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

In my opinion it's a better vehicle than a Colorado. Owned an 06 3ltr and it was a great vehicle. Plenty of mates and family members have the 2.5ltr STR and again they have been great. I have heard of the clutch issues but they haven't had them even though they tow decent weights. In my opinion Toyota's are way overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by pipifin View Post
    Just had a quick squiz and the only toymotors I can get for 30k have between 200-300,000 km on the clock..... are they mental???
    I know exactly what you are getting at. I'm researching 4WD wagons at the moment with the intention to purchase when and if I receive payment from my boat. I came across a 1994 Landcrusier (80 series) turbo diesel GXL with over 400,000 on the odometer for just shy of $16,000.

I bought the D22 a few months ago, i'm rapped with it. It tows my cruise craft 625 fine.
    I couldn't buy a second hand one as there way over priced compared to new.

I got new car warranty, free road side assist, capped price servicing.
    Try and beat that in second hand. Capped price servicing is $230 buck per service!!

I've noticed a few manufacturers coming good on the capped servicing lately and its about time. If you buy brand new I don't see why you should pay through the nose for servicing. The 20,000 service on my Ranger cost over $600.

The clutch issues are on the D40's, not the D22. Mine has about 32000 on it, had it not even a year yet, and am pretty happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    30k won't get you much in a hilux

Go for the navara @ 30k it's a better option than the great wall IMO.........30k would get you a decent 2nd hand colorado though.

Dan
    Yeah at one point we were considering "looking" at a Great Wall... then a mate of a mate told me about his rust issues.... taken it back 3 times in 3 years..... rust is something that will continue after the warranty. It would also explain the amount of 2010 Great Walls on the market that are 10k cheaper than a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    I bought the D22 a few months ago, i'm rapped with it. It tows my cruise craft 625 fine.
    I couldn't buy a second hand one as there way over priced compared to new.

I got new car warranty, free road side assist, capped price servicing.
    Try and beat that in second hand. Capped price servicing is $230 buck per service!!
    Yeah I've noticed 3 yr old models with 60k kms on the clock are still the same price as a brand spanker.... now I aint no mathemagician, but even I can do the maths on that one.
    Will take one for a drive this w/e and see how we go. The missus has indicated that we need a canopy, tow bar, and roof racks for her surf ski.
    I've never bought brand spankers before, so in everyones experience, are these "special" prices still negotiable? or are the above additional options negotiable? or am I wasting my time trying to hardball them??? Its funny, I only haggle with car dealers LOL.

LOL an article in the Sunshine Coast Daily this morning about being wary of 2nd hand cars at the mo due to flooding

You can always try to bring the price down. We just bought a new small car. Toyota wouldn't budge so I went next door and bought a different car as they would budge. When I bought my Navara some Nissan dealerships wouldn't budge but others would. Ended up getting the car from a dealer over 1 000km's from my house.