Thread: $1,500 budget - Which unit to buy Lowrance or Humminbird for side and down scan?

$1,500 budget - Which unit to buy Lowrance or Humminbird for side and down scan?

Similar topics have been explored before but not (that I am aware) since the Gen 2 Lowrance came out so please offer advice if you can.

I have a budget of $1,500 and want a sounder/gps combo with side and down scanning capabilities.

I have narrowed my seach (i think) to the Lowrance Gen2 HDS 5x with the side/down scanning transducer or the Humminbird 798CXi.

I have only ever had Humminbird before and have been happy with them but they have only ever been basic greyscale units. Down/side scanning will be brand new to me.

What are the opinions out there, is one better than the other or should I just get either based on the best price?

My understanding is that the Humminbird installation will be eaier as one transducer is all that is needed where the Lowarance units use a seperate transducer for side/down scanning. Is that correct?

I have done a fair bit of research and at the moment, leaning heavily towards the Humminbird. The things that have influenced me so far are:
    • 1 x transducer installation for all functions
    • I like the quick disconnect mounting option
    • 2 x memory card slots, record spots and have the mapping card in as well
    • 3 x soft touch keys for favorite views
    • 1 touch screen snapshots
    • High resolution screen
    • Sooo many negative comments on the web regarding poor Lowrance after sales support.
    I have also heard that Humminbird are just about to release some new models in time for the boat show so there could be some bargains to be had.

Thanks for any advice forthcoming. Cheers.

Re: $1,500 budget - Which unit to buy Lowrance or Humminbird for side and down scan?

I picked up a 798 CXi HD SI late last year for around the $1200 mark. Whilst I can't say I've learned how to use it fully, the parts of it I have messed with are impressive. The ability to split screen and see structure on both sides is a real eye opener. I've only used it in up to about 30m of water around places like Curtain, but I do hope (when this damn windy weather sods off) to try further afield in deeper water.

You are right about a few things ;

* Transducer was dead easy to install
    * Quick release mounting bracket easy to install and I like being able to remove the unit and lock it in the house when the boat is outside
    * I'm only using 1 slot for my Navionics Gold card atm, but I do plan on putting a memory card in to save info and use the other features (when I get time to play with 'em
    * The quick view/shortcut buttons are great, once you get in the habit you zip through screen views without thinking so you can zone in on whats going on underneath you whilst comparing it to your GPS etc.
    * Screen size is fine for me. Sure bigger would be nicer, but this was my budget and I'm not at all disappointed. It's sad that how cheap LCD technology is in this day and age to produce, still demands ludicrous price increases on units that otherwise have the same features and yet 1-3" more screen width.

I think there is a post on the forums about Humminbird's new 360 degree sonar sounder, but I'd say it's a while before it'll be available to the average fisho. For now I think structure scan/SI is it, though at the boat show I went to the seminar about sounders and there was mention of a new tech called Chirp ? I'm not sure if this is proprietary to a specific company or will become widely available. I'm sure someone on the forums knows a lot more about this than me

Just on a personal note (it's a contentious topic for some), I did my research about grey/overseas imported models. And after some quick number crunching and arm twisting on my local sales rep, I felt better paying money for a unit that's covered by warranty here (naturally I hope I never need to call on it ) and I get a little bit of a warm fuzzy feeling for supporting a local Aussie business. In all honesty it was only the matter of $100 or so in the end, and when you worry about DoA units, warranties, only measuring in ft, and possible geofencing issues, it was a whole lot easier to buy here in Oz.

Happy hunting !

Re: $1,500 budget - Which unit to buy Lowrance or Humminbird for side and down scan?

Thanks for the post all useful info, I too have looked at buying overseas and agree it is not worth the hassle, I'll be buying in Oz.

I recently went through the very same senario and in the end my budget was a little over 2k and ended up with the lowrance, purley because the structure scan has slightly better image qualty but if my budget was to be any lower i would have ended up with 798cxi for the very same reasons. The HDS7 and the 798cxi are very similar in quality, but with that budget i would have gone with the Humminbird.

And don't even piss around wasting your time getting one from OS as both brands are subject to GPS Geo-fencing related issues when used outside of US coastal waters (Lowrance more so). Best prices i found were from either K E O G H S marine and Chsmith.

i changed from humminbird to lowrance hds5x and regret the decision, i find the humminbird gave better detail, the plus for the lowrance is that it holds the bottom at speed where the humminbird used to drop out.
    Lee

I too purchased a 798cxi at last years Brisbane Boat Show, very happy with the unit. Could not justify buying a Lowrance as there structure scan technology requires the little black box to be purchased separately, whereas Humminbird's unit's already have the technology incorporated into it.....a no brainer really!
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Ok, Humminbird it is. Now who sells them cheapest online? Time for some searching I guess.