Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On a mission

Re: On a mission

After doing some research, is it possible we have the blue / nile hybrids - Oreochromis niloticus, Oreochromis aureus and their interspecific hybrid tilapia (♂ O. aureus x ♀ O. niloticus).
    Like the ND21
    The ND 21 is a hybrid Tilapia cross between:· Female O. nilotica ND-2 Tilapia family line
    · Male O. aurea ND-1 Tilapia family line

and not mozambiques at all?

Okay guys, I have sent this link with a note from myself to Danni, asking her if she can come onto this site/thread and give us all a bit of understanding of tilapia in SEQld. from Deedi's point of view.

Cheers,
    John.

Smile Re: On a mission

I had a 1/2hr chat with her a few months ago when I reported a sighting of them and needed clarification of "in possession" - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...35#post1346335
    Lovely girl and she was happy to discuss the issues. Clarification of what species we have here would be good cause if these aren't mozambiques and not declared noxious and only classed as pests being non natives, i will try one to eat and maybe put a big one in a fishtank (i am joking - wouldn't want to eat them from the water I catch them in and even if not mozams, I want to remove these non natives not possibly contribute to the spread.)

Hit them again today and got a few.. couple of bright red tails when the first come out and shape variations -

But this one is interesting, when it came out it was a really bright yellow (brighter than in this pic) and clearly a different shape to the others.

I'd say there's some hybrids there. That gold one's a curiosity and looks like it's been scrapping from the state of it's pectoral fin? Where are they coming from? Saw a few similar taken at kurwongbah yesterday

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

First time I have caught a goldy coloured one, They are all from a landlocked pond at capalaba thats fed off Tingalpa creek when it floods (flooded a number of times within the last year). Found a spot in tingalpa creek that has schools of hundreds of these swimming around (alot of larger whiter coloured ones too) I have never seen so many fish in one spot and not one touch from them using bread/corn/dough mix/poppers/spinners or mullet flesh on the bottom or under a float at varying depths (no worms or maggots handy to try though ). In the pond they smash the bread off the surface but in the creek they don't even look at it when it is under their nose?
    Have to try some worms or algae dough mix to see if that entices them.

Algae dough would be the better go...................they're primarily vegetarians but also opportunist feeders. I'm gonna try dough with some green food colouring next time I go.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.