Thread: shed alterations/extension

shed alterations/extension

Anyone had experience with extending a shed. I have a 7x7m shed. Seems it is about 1m short for any boat over 5.2. Seems I have three choices 1) get a 5.2m boat 2) extend the shed 3) build a lean to or carport. Would like a 540 or 575, so choice number 1 no good. Open to any ideas. Leaving boat out in open/under boat cover not an option.

Re: shed alterations/extension

Can you simply opt for a swing away draw bar?

can you put the boat in on an angle , or cut a hole in the back wall for the draw bar
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Thanks Snapp & Stuie63. How does swing away tow bar work? No can do on angle, has to share shed with Jayco Swan outback. How do you get the draw bar to the back wall and back to the front when you want to take it out? Not being smart ass, genuinely interested as less money spent on shed means more on boat!!!

Easy mate, just buy the materials for another Portal,take the rear wall off to move out 1m..then buy some extra wall & roof sheet's,a bit of gutter & ridge capping & your done....
    But i have done around 600 shed's so it's a bit easier for me....

Baz

It may be a bit strange but you could build a little skillon on the back just to take the motor. Very cheap and shouldn't need approvals. A day or so's work and a dog kennel if ever you don't need it for the boat.

[attach]78113
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you retro fit folding draw bar to existing trailer or do you have to buy new trailer?

Any half decent Boilermaker should be able to cut, pin ( hinge ) your original trailer draw bar.

Google......... it..... might have some video of it >?????

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Another option too is to have a look at your trailer and see how much draw bar your have in front of your boat and see how much you really need. I had a boat previous to my current one and even though the boat was 5 cm shorter than my current boat but took up another metre and a half in length in the garage due to the draw bar being so long. I have a 530 Crusher and it would have no more than a foot from tow ball to the bow roller and even this is ample as I have a wheel cover on the back of the prado and it still doesnt scratch (wheel cover vs bow rail) if doing a turn on full lock. So you may be able to shorten the draw bar or get another trailer to better suit your shed. The current trailer is an easytow
    Other option would be to put an extention on the back of the shed that could house the motor, if it sticks out from the back of the boat.

Apart from the swing away draw bar, another sneaky trick to gain a few inches is to lower the motor and put it on full lock (if its a tilt up job for transport), just remember to raise it before pulling it out of the driveway!

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

i had the same problem with my last boat as the garage was 7m long and the total boat on trailer length was 7.3 (even with the motor down). first i built a little dog-box style addition on the back and could fit in it but it did look pretty ugly (even tho it was hidden out the back i knew it was there). after about 6 months i knocked the extension apart and put the rear garage wall back to normal, bit the bullet, poured a pad with an anchor point for chains at the back for security and built a carport that matched the garage and was stoked with the end result. as an added bonus the boat always dried out really well after use due to the breeze it got but was still protected under cover, plus it added value to the house so even the wife was happy.

if the budget allows i would go the carport again first time round as you can then buy any boat and put it under cover easily.

cheers ryan

Does your boat go through under the portals for the shed or across the shed between the portals??
    What is your current drawbar made of?? square hollow or rectangular hollow? Square hollows can usually be sleeve extendable by slidning a smaller heavier section inside the existing drawbar once the hitch has been removed,
    Rectangular drawbars need to be hinged to swing sideways.
    It may be an option for you to simply replace the whole folding drawbar if your trailer has a tilt arrangement.
    Jack.

Gday everyone and thanks for your advice. Visited the T&T show yesterday and ended up buying a new 1750 Tournament! Very happy and the Chief Financial Officer is happy with the deal she negotiated with Mark from AMC. The only issue was the BMT measured 7.2m. We noticed it came with a Dunbier trailer so we went and visited their stand and they showed us pictures of the fold away draw bar. So we went back to AMC and got Mark to order us a trailer with fold away drawbar. Should do the trick! The shed guy is coming out tomorrow to give us an idea on cost of extension just to cover all bases.

Hi
    We have the same problem- boat too long for shed. We have the carport on the right of the shed and now thinking back it should of been on the left. How hard is it to pull carport down and move shed over-- (double titan)and erect carport on left side. We have concrete under carport so would probably need to new corner posts.

Ronnie