Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to cook Rib fillet

Best way to cook Rib fillet

Bought some rib fillet from the bulk butcher down the road.

Tastes great, nice flavour but was a bit chewy.. I remember when a mate had a barbie and he had some rib fillet, it was also a bit chewy.

So what is the best way to cook rib fillet?

It is pretty expensive compared to other cuts, I would have thought it would be a bit less chewy..on both occasions I tried it.

Maybe just frying it in a pan or on a barbie plate is not the right way to go?

Oh yes sorry this has nothing to do with fish recipies... though on that point I might add another question .

When doing fish in batter do you need some kind of special pot and strainer and a lot of oil?
    What do you do with the oil when finished?

Cheers

Re: Best way to cook Rib fillet

Do you have a hooded BBQ?...........if so 3mins a side then 10mins resting in a hot 180deg BBQ but not directly on the heat,just with the lid closed......plate up and rest it for another 5-7mins..........mmmm.......it will be medium rare so add a few mins rest time if you like it medium.........i like mine rare so maybe add another few mins aswell.......LOL

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Slice it, vacum pack it, stick it in the back of the fridge for a week or two to tenderise then very hot plate, couple of mins each side, rest and serve.

I have had some good rib fillet and some bad rib fillet in my time also. Here is what I have found:
    -Rib fillet that holds its shape and has firm square edges always tastes and cooks better. The white eye of fat in the middle needs to be firm and there needs to be a lack of a clear vein that runs through it always works best for me.
    I always start of hot, seal both sides for a minute and then drop heat to med. I sometimes put an upside down frying pan over it if its a thick cut.

Option 2 is get rib fillet cut into minute steaks and then they are always awesome.

my mouth is watering......

Marty
    Living the dream, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    I have had some good rib fillet and some bad rib fillet in my time also. Here is what I have found:
    -Rib fillet that holds its shape and has firm square edges always tastes and cooks better. The white eye of fat in the middle needs to be firm and there needs to be a lack of a clear vein that runs through it always works best for me.
    I always start of hot, seal both sides for a minute and then drop heat to med. I sometimes put an upside down frying pan over it if its a thick cut.

Option 2 is get rib fillet cut into minute steaks and then they are always awesome.

my mouth is watering......

Marty
    Are you sure you werent a butcher in a previous life....

I never have trouble with it done in the Webber kettle. About 35 mins per 500g, sweet as. No adds, no rubs, nothing. Some gravy, spuds in the jackets, and veg. MUST BE MSA Graded. There is some real crap out there...

I often do a boned out Roast Pork next to it. Keeps the Family happy, and get get sandwich fillers for a few days.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

yeah thanks for the tips.

No I don't have a webber.

Might be a number of reasons it was chewy, I cut it into steaks.

very tasty though.

It's probably chewy because you bought a budget grade from a bulky.. not to say that's all they sell. Cook it on the bbq which should be as hot as possible, Turn it BEFORE it starts to bleed other wise you are losing the good juices. It should only take 2-3 minutes each side pending on how well cooked you like it and how thick it is. You should than rest it in a warm but not hot place as you want it to rest NOT keep cooking. I sell both MSA and budget grade and recommend spending the extra for a much better quality steak. The budget grade rib fillets can still be nice but usually better sliced thin and put through the tenderizer for burgers or cooked whole as a roast.

as previously said, basically u get what u pay for....budget butchers, budget meat, i get mine from the super butcher
    i get it cryovac, sit it in the cold fridge for a month or two, to age mature, with rump always have the fat side on top .......dont worry about any use by date, providing the seal hasnt broken on the cryovac, when u open it, there will be a slight smell, just the blood and the smell is gone in a minute or so

i cook mine in the weber q, 3-4 minutes per side, first preheating the weber to 400f, then rest it for few minutes....once you have had meat cooked in weber, u wont want to use anything else, they are dear, but once again u get what u pay for

Yeah thanks

It was already in a Cryovac bag (you know the stuff), maybe I should have left it in the fridge for a while.

My neighbor has two webbers, he picked them up on the last 2 throw out days

Cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SHHHHHHHHHHHH....this is MY secret but am feeling especially generous today.......just sprinkle some Bi Carb of Soda on ANY steak, leave it sit for overnight & every cut of steak is tender.... 3 mins each side on hot BBQ....let sit on bench for 3 minutes before serving.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Has to be room temperature before adding to an extra HOT pan with a small amount of oil...
    2-3min each side (depending on thickness) then sit on a warm plate for a few min.
    Add the juice from the plate to your mushroom gravy and enjoy with whatever you fancy on the side.

Yummy !!!

i'm a chef and captain seaweed is on the money. Rib fillet shouldnt be chewy unless it is really cheap. if its a cheap cut slow roast it as a whole fillet @150celcius til medium rare and rest it, slice into steaks and a quick seal on the bbq and you'll think your at hogs breath.

Forgot to mention,,, grass fed beef will have more flavor than grain fed but less tenderness. A good grass fed yearling is normally a great tasting beef which won't be to chewy but once you step into the older grass fed "cow" you'll be chewing all night. A grain fed yearling will be very tender but will lack the flavour compared to the grass fed..

Quote Originally Posted by lethal View Post
    i'm a chef and captain seaweed is on the money. Rib fillet shouldnt be chewy unless it is really cheap. if its a cheap cut slow roast it as a whole fillet @150celcius til medium rare and rest it, slice into steaks and a quick seal on the bbq and you'll think your at hogs breath.
    Ugh! Never had a good steak at Hogs Breath yet, but kind people keep taking me there
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.