Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to cook Rib fillet

Re: Best way to cook Rib fillet

Hi
    A hot pan is the secret and let it rest for a few minutes before serving. I cook for 3 mins on each side and only turn it once. A light sprinkle of salt before cooking also and I never use any oil etc when cooking.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by gruntahunta View Post
    SHHHHHHHHHHHH....this is MY secret but am feeling especially generous today.......just sprinkle some Bi Carb of Soda on ANY steak, leave it sit for overnight & every cut of steak is tender.... 3 mins each side on hot BBQ....let sit on bench for 3 minutes before serving.
    This is how the chinese restaraunts (a lot of them anyway) get all there meat to taste the way it does.. make a mix of bicarb soda and water and marinate anything in it... it destroys the protein in the meat and makes it taste that weird, super tender way. It is also the cause of a belly ache you get sometimes form chinese places if it hasnt been washed off properly.
    For my bet, if ya need to do this you have deffo bought a cut worthy of a stew not a BBQ. its expensive to buy good quality stuff and if you go to a butcher.. get the organic grain fed aged stuff... scotch fillet i think ranks as number two behind fillet steak for tenderness and it should never be chewy unless ya boil it....
    sear it in a hot pan or bbq and let it rest for at least 2 minutes and thats it...
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Aldis recently had a sale of small spit / Souvla type roasters for $49 whilst Bunnings sell the same thing for around the $90 mark . They come with a two D cell battery motor , one spit/skewer with counter weight( for Chickens or single souvla) as well as a mesh for doing Steaks, Chops etc.
    Used with Charcoal instead of ordinary heat beads these are excellent for doing your Steaks to a mouth watering perfection..

I purchase the lump charcoal and fire it till its glowing red,spread it out evenly and make sure its giving of a good bit of heat.
    Let your mesh rest n heat up and with the steak at room temperature and with or without a Rub or marinate(depending on your taste) a good inch odd Scotch fillet shouldnt need more than four minutes either side for medium rare .
    Also the difference as previouse mentioned by others between a good and bad steak apart from how its cooked is what you purchase from your Butcher.
    pay a good penny and you'll get good value, pay cheap and you'll get chewy meat.
    Speaks for itself ey..even the Woolies steaks have the good from ordinary branded/labelled a tad differently ey.
    Cheers

fudge some make it look hard
    the simple fool proof method is to have a fairly hot plate drop it on and when little beads of blood come to the top turn it over
    then as soon as the top surface beads it is done rip it of and rest it for a few minutes
    no1 rule to wreck a decent steak is... the more you play with it the harder it gets
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

ehhh?
    I don't really want a BBQ thingy, would rather just throw A T-bone in the pan.

I still got it in the fridge, might throw a slab on the hook next time I'm in the surf.... might catch a Jewie

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    fudge some make it look hard
    the simple fool proof method is to have a fairly hot plate drop it on and when little beads of blood come to the top turn it over
    then as soon as the top surface beads it is done rip it of and rest it for a few minutes
    no1 rule to wreck a decent steak is... the more you play with it the harder it gets
    cheers
    Yes that's why I posted here I thought Rib fillet was low maintenance cut.

I think I got a old boiler batch, it was as chew as hell.

Hope to get out of this unit in next 12 months, will then get myself a BBQ cooker of some sort.

Thanks for the reply's, I will try to seek out a better quality fillet in future.

Dan

Watch this, then try it, it works.

Best meat I ever had was a beast shot in the paddock while eating. They are totally relaxed where as a beast killed at the abbatoirs stresses which also causes meat to be tuff. IMOA
    cheers Mad
    Grow old disgracefully

If you don't want to buy a BBQ at this stage I would suggest you get yourself a grill pan something like the scanpan. This will give you the heat you need to cook the steak so that it does not stew in it's own juices as well give you the same cooking method if it was done on a BBQ. Then to make things simple cook 3 minutes each side take off heat, rest and eat. 3 minutes is only a guild as it depends on size and how you like your steak and if you want tender buy good.
    cheers
    sandyd

As farmers we would hang the carcass in a tree for up to a week depending on the weather. Now the animal is hang for a very short time as chiller space is so expensive. Also we never washed the carcass with water as it would reduce the meat quality. To simulate the farmers method we need to buy the meat in advance either as cryovac or vacuum seal it yourself. This allows the fibres to break down due to the ageing process.

You guys, truly! There is ONLY one way to go about this task.

Find your woman, pour her a vino, sit her in a deck chair. Do your Manly Man BBQ thing whilst laughing and chatting, pour her another glass of wine.

Believe me, buds, that rib fillet will be perfect HOWEVER it comes off the barbie!!!