Thread: Coomera River Lake

Coomera River Lake

Hey guys

my fishing mate has moved to coomera and we want to try fishing the back of the river up near the wakeboarding section, just wondering if anyone could offer us some tips on where to go, we want to troll lure's or fish bait.

thanks

Re: Coomera River Lake

Ok i dont know how much truth is in it but i was told that live poddies or hearing on the full moon in the narrow part of the river that leads out on that lake (google it) Jacks and jews.

The bottom is very rocky so float out poddy on a 4-5foot dropper.
    On the way up to Tam Mt take the Old Tamborine road where the old church is then first right which is Brittany drive and follow that around till you get to the park. walk across the park till you get to the big trees to the right.
    Ive never tried it but want to soon.
    Also i hope you have a sounder as its very shallow on the way up from the boat ramp.

cool thanks for that, will have to keep an eye out, anyone know of any live bait spots around there ? where i wont loose my net?

That, i cant help you with.

Big trevelly, tailor , jacks ive caught from in the lake itself all on trolled lures

The lake above the weir i have caught numerous bass, and bellow it Jacks, Jew, Bream, Flatties, Trevs and a Tarpon

how do they get in there i thought it was blocked off by rock wall ?
    how do you get a boat in there ?

i've caught bass on soft plastics on the brackish side of the weir. drift with the wind as cast to the edges. stealth is important so cast as far as you can.

Above the wier Bass. I used to launch a canoe off the wier wall and flick lures around the edges of the fresh water lake. You can also fish off the bank, but a bit more difficult. I'd recommend catch and release for Bass in the Coomera. The weir makes breeding difficult as they have to come down below the weir to breed, then get back up over the weir. Last 2 years not too bad due to good rains, but for several years before that, breeding would have been difficult to impossible.

Below the wier, I've mainly fished for Jacks by flicking lures into snags. Not a lot of them, but the hard work makes success more rewarding. Have also caught flathead. Most successful downstream between the saltwater 'lake' and the rock bar. If in a boat, best to launch from the park on the 'lake' (don't remember the name) so you don't have to worry about the rock bar, which is about 500m upstream from the boat ramp near the motorway. Don't try to cross the rock bar at low tide in a boat unless you are very familiar with it.

lee, day or night??

yeah im in a boat and will be fishing the salt water. is the rock bar visible from google maps ?

wayne during the day, never went at night but probably should have

Hi Orange_hains, just created a quick map for you, hope it helps :-)

http://g.co/maps/a7wgv

Essentially, when heading up stream, stay on the north side of the river (less than 15M from bank) after passing the inlet 200M upstream of the rowing club.
    Turn towards the "underwater shoals" sign (in middle of river) when approx. 50 mtrs from the approaching bank (sign should be at 10PM, there used to be a small white buoy marking this). Head towards the sign (aiming approx. < 5m upstream of it), just be aware there are also shoals either side of you when heading towards the sign. If in doubt launch further down river of row :-)
    Tight Lines.