Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

Beach netted mullet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't come up with any words to describe how devistating the above picture is.
    Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Beach netted mullet
    i cant see a mullet in the photo.
    maybe yo can enlighten us all about when and where the photo was taken?
    ken

i do not agree with the mass killing of undersize fish of any species.
    due the the supposed large numbers of small jew around to be caught one would have to think that the specie reproduction is going great.
    around here after the last washout the story was plenty of jew out the main wall.
    from what i got told a lot of them were undersize.
    just fancy catching all these undersize fish dragging them up the wall and then THROWING them back .
    i personally spoke to a bloke who should know better bragging about catching 13 jew yesterday out yamba wall
    why catch 13 jew drag them up the wall and say i let them go?
    this guy is a amateur who sell tackle ok .
    you know damm well what you gunna catch when you go there so if your not eating them why catch the damm things
    my2cents
    ken

Only last week after the Clarence was still recovering from a slight flood i followed behind a prawn boat heading away from the Harwood bridge ,i purposely tagged along in his wake as i observed them doing a shot .It wasn't long before the net was on board and the sorting began,they left a trail of juvenile fish for a hundred mtrs or so. Ban NETTING FULL STOP ,LET THOSE SO CALLED PROS CATCH EM WITH A HOOK AND LINE, LIKE WE HAVE TO ISNT THAT WHAT SNAPPER AND OTHER PRO HOOKERS DO.
    Shut up and fish

blackjew
    i wish i had your spare time to go fishin during the week

Quote Originally Posted by blackjew View Post
    Only last week after the Clarence was still recovering from a slight flood i followed behind a prawn boat heading away from the Harwood bridge ,i purposely tagged along in his wake as i observed them doing a shot .It wasn't long before the net was on board and the sorting began,they left a trail of juvenile fish for a hundred mtrs or so. Ban NETTING FULL STOP ,LET THOSE SO CALLED PROS CATCH EM WITH A HOOK AND LINE, LIKE WE HAVE TO ISNT THAT WHAT SNAPPER AND OTHER PRO HOOKERS DO.
    The irony is that the trawl fisher you followed supplies bait to the Rec fishing sector. So if you ban those trawlers that supply the bait market, where will the bait come from? Overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    The irony is that the trawl fisher you followed supplies bait to the Rec fishing sector. So if you ban those trawlers that supply the bait market, where will the bait come from? Overseas?
    that is a fact.
    one of the biggest buyers of clarence school prawns is tweed bait

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have yet to see any proof (and I mean PROOF not hysterical ranting) that Mullet beach netters are getting huge numbers of Mulloway, it has been written a thousand times about the spot lighting glowing eyes in the waves and so on, but still no one has ever eye witnessed these "mass kills", or taken a single photo. Oh, and I am not a beach netter!!
    I have seen the netters doing the beaches at Ballina in the middle of the night but the one that made me want to have a "rant" was a mate and I went off the south wall at Ballina about 4.30am at the start of jew season several years ago and we got a couple of good jew before the sun came up so we headed back to the Ballina Ferry and crossed on the first run at 5.30am.
    As we were going across we saw 2 big pro punts pull up at the old ferry ramp on the north side and each one was loaded with jew from about 8kg up to 25-30kg. Then a third punt pulled up and was chokka with big jew as well.
    Stan and I pulled up to have a look and we were unceremoniuosly told to F**k off!
    A mate who works at a local seafood shop told me he knew of close to 1500kg of big jew caught in the river that night.
    I am not against anyone making a buck to survive but We both thought it was a disgusting amount of jew to be netted in one night.
    But it probably explained why the jew were hard to catch after that..
    Dont want to wade into the pro versus amatuer argument again but apart from the restocked jew fingerlings I can see how much the resource has dwindled over the last few years.
    We need to look after what remains and try and keep it a sustainable fishery for everyone not just for one group.
    Theres my rant guys.
    Cheers.

Why is the restocking and funding coming from the Rec Angler licence and the benefit is going elsewhere. Seems silly paying to breed and restock when we let the breeders be slaughter as they go out of the system, to do what comes naturally.
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

At my local they're trying to paint themselves as some sort of iconic part of our history. Because the annual cull has been going so long at Patonga, during the run they think they';re owed the right to net them in thousands. Maybe they want a museum built for them.
    Of course it just happens to sit literally right next to possibly the two most famous jew spots in the country, Juno and Flint and Steel.
    Where's the common sense taking this out of the system ? What purpose can it possibly serve ?
    Get rid of it.
    Get rid of ALL pro fishing in the Hawkesbury. The amateur fisho treats the area with velvet gloves, all the while knowing it is completely raped.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Beach netted mullet
    It will be Beach netted salmon shortly.
    I think I can see one of those pesky mullet in the back right hand corner under that 13kg jew.

Net damaged jew, $5 a kilo, what a joke!!!

I heard that a prawn trawler trawled up some good jew down near the Broadwater dune recently (with the fresh in the river)just outside the beach break. Saves getting sand on the fish I guess!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    I heard that a prawn trawler trawled up some good jew down near the Broadwater dune recently (with the fresh in the river)just outside the beach break. Saves getting sand on the fish I guess!!
    I have seen this method is being used down here as well over the last several years; with the mullet run nowadays heading to sea for 100-300mtres before turning north rather than heading straight along the surf gutters, fish exiting the river are taken by trawlers, presumably either prawn or baitfishers.
    I reckon this may be in response to the unpopularity of beach-hauling in this area, far lower public profile than beach-haul.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    I have seen this method is being used down here as well over the last several years; with the mullet run nowadays heading to sea for 100-300mtres before turning north rather than heading straight along the surf gutters, fish exiting the river are taken by trawlers, presumably either prawn or baitfishers.
    I reckon this may be in response to the unpopularity of beach-hauling in this area, far lower public profile than beach-haul.
    It is very unlikely that trawlers would catch sea-going mullet or adult mulloway. They could easily outswim a net being trawled at 2.5kts.

Ken I cant remember the exact details of the netted jew pic. I saved it last year without the details. Im pretty sure it came off the Fisho website and was featured in one of their mags mid last season. May have been mid north coast or shoal haven? If I get a chance today I'll have a look back through and see if I can find the details. I know at the time it caused a fair debarcle in the midst of the annual jew spawning/mullet netting fiasco