Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 134
  1. #106

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjew View Post
    The Real Facts on Mulloway

    Diggles also refutes claims being spouted about by some elements of the commercial fishing industry that catch & release does not work for jewfish. He told Fisho that survival rates of fish caught by anglers are "quite high (around 80 per cent on bait, or even more if lures are used), especially if best practice methods of hooking and handling are used".
    Interesting quote. 80% survival. Do you think that's about right blackjew?

  2. #107

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    Interesting quote. 80% survival. Do you think that's about right blackjew?
    80 % survival.
    i cant actually speak on the bait caught side because i'm pretty well 100% s/plastics.
    only having a shallow sided 12 foot boat i try to unhook and release undersize fish without netting or bringing onboard except where the need for longnose pliers to get hold of the jighead.
    the ones you dont handle much scurry away like there is no tomorrow but the ones that have to be seriously unhooked and i dont mean gut hooked either are pretty groggy from just a minute of handling.
    they are one of the softest fish i think so far as handling goes.
    being catch and release off a breakwall i'd be surprised if even 50 % .
    ken

  3. #108

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    Interesting quote. 80% survival. Do you think that's about right blackjew?
    Hi Matt speaking from when i lived in Darwin and Gove ,you did not ever even try to let a Jewy go ,because they would not survive because of Barra trauma.By the time you pull them out of 30mtrs they are nearly dead when they hit the surface.I read somewhere that they a Blackjew anyway throw there stomach out there mouth and the food that is in there stomach acts as a decoy when they have been caught and are being chased by sharks.Hmm not sure how true it is but out of the hundred or so jews i caught up there all of them had there stomach hanging out there mouth
    Im not sure how they go being caught and released in shallow water ,only from what i have just learnt from Ken.
    IMHO i think that the survival rate would be higher coming from shallower water.Of course if you have to dig around down the throat for hook then you could not throw it back.As for lures and bait most jewys i have caught have been on bait and they seem to get hooked in the corner of the mouth .
    Cheers Rob
    Shut up and fish

  4. #109

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    I think this is where the importance of Recreational Fishing Havens is needed to be pushed. Firstly, if a Pro gets bought out, there is no chance of him taking up an unused licence in the same area Sure you have to compensate the Commercial guy for taking away his bread and butter, if that comes from govt revenue and or Rec licence revenue so be it. Create "blocks" of RFH so whole areas can be rehabilitated "like my suggestion to the QLD LNP thread about the Mooloolaba to Fraser RFH".

    But don't just leave that opportunity there, give the pro's that are bought out first chance to be employed part time in the local restocking group/ habbitat rehabilitation. Turn them from part of the problem to part of the solution. Market these areas with tourism adds, let's get people coming from overseas because they hear all the stories about these monster fish you can catch in these areas in Australia ( the AUD won't be this high for ever). I wouldn't object even to government grants to get some of these guys that are bought out into fishing guide businesses. Hell they waste millions on unsustainable BS all the time, why not help kick start an environmentally and economically sustainably industry in these areas. The government would have thier revenue back in no time and then some in years to come, leaving a fantastic insustry for the future that isn't at risk from collapse of a resource.

    Not only would you have a boom in these areas you would still leave open other areas for commercial interests and the RFH would act as a nursery for them to a small extent. Win win for everyone.

    You would also have to allow rec cast nets in these areas IMO.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  5. #110

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    YeP FOR SURE ,I CANT BELIEVE WHY CAST NETS ARE BAND ITS A LOAD OF CRAP.
    Shut up and fish

  6. #111

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Yeh NSW fisheries are so hypocritical. A pro netter can rape whole schools yet a rec can't get enough bait or prawns for a feed.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  7. #112

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Mulloway debate highlights need for common sense

    02 Apr 2012

    SUPPORT for an increase in the minimum size for mulloway in NSW is growing, as is opposition to proposed changes to commercial fishing regulations for the species.
    As Fisho has been reporting for a number of weeks, a proposal for a recreational bag limit of one 1 fish over 75cm while commercial netters would be allowed to take up to 50 juvenile fish, i.e. those between 45 cm and 75 cm was to be put to NSW DPI for approval.
    According to the Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW the consultation group involved in the proposal includes the Mulloway Resource Planning Group (members unknown), the Advisory Council on Recreational Fishing, the (former) Ocean Trap and Line Management Advisory Committee, the Professional Fishermen's Association and EcoFishers.
    NSW DPI has since denied it was considering rubber stamping the proposal and there will be a public consultation period before the issue goes any further.
    According to Stan Konstantaras from ANSA NSW and RFA of NSW, "Recreational anglers are responsible custodians of the resource, and if we have good, current and solid science that says we need to make some changes in our practices at a recreational fishing level to rebuild the stocks then we will accept this.
    "We also want to see meaningful reductions in the commercial harvest of mulloway and a no-take on undersized fish and some changes to the estuary prawn trawl practices that impact on juvenile mulloway. ANSA NSW would like an opportunity to provide our members' input in a truly transparent process."
    "All harvest sectors have a significant role to play in the recovery program for mulloway. NSW DPI will deliver an overall solution that rebuilds the mulloway resource while minimising impacts on all types of harvest activities."
    Shut up and fish

  8. #113

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    All of our comments and views have been sent to fishing world magazine .
    Cheers Rob
    Shut up and fish

  9. #114

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjew View Post
    YeP FOR SURE ,I CANT BELIEVE WHY CAST NETS ARE BAND ITS A LOAD OF CRAP.
    OH, I see how this works, you want to be able to use a net, (cast or bait net) but you don't want the pros to be able to use nets! yep, that's a great argument. I can now see why we will never get anywhere with this sort of 'rant"

  10. #115

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    I am not particularly for cast nets in nsw but I am dead against prawn trawling in rivers. let the prawns run to sea you get better product less by catch and most impotantly less destruction of habitat. pocket net in the river if you must allow commerical netting not otter trawl.
    Noel I hardly see how otter board tawling can be compared with a cast net can I ask have you ever been on a prawn trawler in the river to see what comes aboard? I have seen first hand what happens not only in terms of bycatch but environmental damage and its not pretty. I think prawn trawling should be totaly banned in enclosed waters starting immediately with lake woolaweaha (spelling?) on the clarence river trawlers running round in there in water hardly deep enough to cover there boards do so much damage to a fish nursery its unbelievable it has been allowed to go on this long.
    As for jew I whole heartedly support a increase in size limit and bag limit of two per person. I also believe as others have mentioned that collectively amatures do as much damage to the population of jew fish then pros and this is why i would support these changes. As to pros targeting jew with nets it most cerainly does happen and has for many years I personally know fishermen who have engaged in the practise there is no law against it so why shouldn't they? If you want pics go have a look on the wall of the iluka pub I am quiet sure i recall some old photos of if not the practise then the result.

  11. #116

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Quote Originally Posted by coucho View Post
    I am not particularly for cast nets in nsw but I am dead against prawn trawling in rivers. let the prawns run to sea you get better product less by catch and most impotantly less destruction of habitat. pocket net in the river if you must allow commerical netting not otter trawl.
    Noel I hardly see how otter board tawling can be compared with a cast net can I ask have you ever been on a prawn trawler in the river to see what comes aboard? I have seen first hand what happens not only in terms of bycatch but environmental damage and its not pretty. I think prawn trawling should be totaly banned in enclosed waters starting immediately with lake woolaweaha (spelling?) on the clarence river trawlers running round in there in water hardly deep enough to cover there boards do so much damage to a fish nursery its unbelievable it has been allowed to go on this long.
    As for jew I whole heartedly support a increase in size limit and bag limit of two per person. I also believe as others have mentioned that collectively amatures do as much damage to the population of jew fish then pros and this is why i would support these changes. As to pros targeting jew with nets it most cerainly does happen and has for many years I personally know fishermen who have engaged in the practise there is no law against it so why shouldn't they? If you want pics go have a look on the wall of the iluka pub I am quiet sure i recall some old photos of if not the practise then the result.
    Couch
    Where did your prawns end up? Where did you sell them?

  12. #117

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, I see how this works, you want to be able to use a net, (cast or bait net) but you don't want the pros to be able to use nets! yep, that's a great argument. I can now see why we will never get anywhere with this sort of 'rant"
    Noelm how can you possibly compare rec fisherman catching a few kg of prawns with a cast ,to a bloody trawler or trawlers taking tons of prawns destroying the structure of the sea bed ALL done in a few hours , one shot ,Its totally different ,AND BESIDES IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO THROW ONE YOU END UP WITH BUGGER ALL.are you a prawny
    Shut up and fish

  13. #118

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    Couch
    Where did your prawns end up? Where did you sell them?
    Matt I grew up around trawlers and my father was a ocean trawler skipper. I have deckied on ocean trawlers when i was growing up and spent a few days on river trawlers but never sold prawns to anyone.

  14. #119

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    Don't worry Coucho, Matty is employed to get the best deal for commercial operators, so he's givinging thier side of the argument.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  15. #120

    Re: commercial operators can take as many fish as they like over 45cm

    trawlers cannot operate in most of the areas that cast nets get used in,they are in no trawling zones.good on "matty"for taking the time to give another side to the argument.
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us