Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are you aloud to fish in sancuary cove?

are you aloud to fish in sancuary cove?

does any one know if your are aloud to fish in sanctuary cove in a boat? i had a fish in there this mornin and a couple of blokes tryed to tell me i couldnt. i would think that if its not a green zone and its not private property than you can fish in there from a boat, long as your not standing on the jetties or boats? and there is no signs saying no fishing either.

Re: are you aloud to fish in sancuary cove?

G'day

I doubt it, usually security is pretty protective around the marina itself, where you flicking in amongst the boats at the marina?

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

The marina area is prob subject to some sort of lease which gives them the right to f. u. off.

Also they dont like folks in there as you could be a thief. I always catch good bream in marinas.

All tidal waters not behind a barrier are public property......unless the waters status is changed by an act of parliament changing ownership of the tidal waters from public to private. That's the only way tidal waters can be off limits. That dosen't happen very often but it did at Sanctuary Cove. You could say that at the time Mike Gore the developer was on very good terms with local MP Russ Hinze and Premier Joh. They brought in the Sanctuary Cove Resort Act 1985, the bit that covers boat access is section 100 - page 170.
    http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...tuaryCvA85.pdf

Below I've pasted the relevant part of the Sanctuary Cove Resort Act
    "Movement of vessels on tidal waters
    (1) The proprietor of land within the site has the right to restrict,
    regulate or prohibit the use or movement of vessels on, over,
    through or beneath tidal waters above the land if the waters
    are not beyond the quay line."
    That means they control all the water inside the outer edges of their marina and fixed moorings.

In a lot of marinas and canals people will try and bluff you into thinking fishing isn't permitted, some even have signs up stating this, but in very few places it has any real legal backing. Unfortunately Santuary Cove does, and btw the security guys in the boats there are armed.

I'll usually move on anyway if some one trys to tell me fishing is banned in a particular spot, it's not worth the hassel, there's always other spots and I prefer to enjoy my fishing rather that argue with some stranger.
    Cheers

Sandstone Point Marina was ok to flick a line in years ago, but the mess and crap left behind via cruds brought a stop to it, (at least they have signs in place). Theft would of course be a concern in these areas as well
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Any where on the insides of mariners cove, marina mirage and verace marinas you will always get the hurry up from security but tie up on the outter side and ya right till security does his rounds at 4.30-5.00 when he'll make you move on..Then anchor up 10 feet off the pier and theres not a thing they can do about it, your out side their imaginary line.

This is NSW would be surprised if it was different in QLD

Her Excellency the Governor, with the advice of the Executive Council, has made
    the following Regulation under the Marine Safety Act 1998.
    ERIC ROOZENDAAL, MLC
    Minister for Ports and Waterways
    Explanatory note
    The object of this Regulation is to make minor miscellaneous amendments to the Marine
    Safety (General) Regulation 2009 that make further provision with respect to the following:
    (a) the obstruction of fairways and channels,
    (b) minimum distances to be maintained between vessels and other objects,
    (c) tow rope requirements,
    (d) the operation of personal watercraft at any speed,
    (e) renewal notices,
    (f) aquatic activities to be licensed,
    (g) minimum safety equipment to be carried on recreational vessels,
    (h) lifejackets that must be worn on vessels in alpine waters,
    (i) lifejackets that must be worn on small vessels at certain times,
    (j) the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea,
    (k) modified safety equipment requirements for dragon boats in enclosed waters.
    This Regulation also makes provision for the following matters:
    (a) eligibility for a marine safety licence (including by limiting eligibility in some cases
    to natural persons),
    (b) the payment of an additional fee by an applicant for an aquatic licence authorising the
    exclusive use of an area of navigable water,
    (c) the fee payable for an attendance at an event by a Maritime Authority officer,Marine Safety (General) Amendment Regulation 2011
    Explanatory note
    2011 No 132
    Page 2
    (d) the issue of a penalty notice for failing to comply with safety requirements for
    lifejackets on recreational vessels.
    This Regulation is made under the Marine Safety Act 1998, including sections 10, 18, 19, 37,
    67 and 137 (the general regulation-making power).Page 3
    Marine Safety (General) Amendment Regulation 2011 Clause 1
    Marine Safety (General) Amendment Regulation 2011
    under the
    Marine Safety Act 1998
    2011 No 132
    1 Name of Regulation
    This Regulation is the Marine Safety (General) Amendment Regulation
    2 Commencement
    This Regulation commences on the day on which it is published on the
    NSW legislation website.Marine Safety (General) Amendment Regulation 2011
    Schedule 1 Amendment of Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009
    Page 4
    2011 No 132
    Schedule 1 Amendment of Marine Safety (General)
    Regulation 2009
    [1] Clause 3 Definitions
    Insert after paragraph (a) (vii) of the definition of alpine waters in clause 3 (1):
    (viii) Blowering Reservoir, and
    [2] Clause 3 (1), definition of “personal watercraft”
    Omit paragraph (c). Insert instead:
    (c) is designed to be operated by a person standing, sitting
    astride or kneeling on the vessel but not seated within the
    vessel,
    and includes a jet powered surfboard.
    [3] Clause 16 Obstruction of fairways and channels
    Omit clause 16 (b). Insert instead:
    (b) obstruct the approach to, or restrict or impede the proper
    use of, any wharf, jetty or other landing place, or any
    boatshed, slip, launching ramp or courtesy or emergency
    mooring.
    [4] Clause 28 Minimum distances to be maintained
    Insert “in or on the water” after “persons” in clause 28 (a).
    [5] Clause 28 (b)
    Insert “(including moored or anchored vessels)” after “structures”.

though a quick google search yielded this

Anyway, I thought I'd ring the Marina Office to enquire. They advised the only restrictions regarding fishing in the marina was "no fishing from floating walkways or common areas". I rang the Dapartment of Primary Industries and Fisheries. A very friendly chap advised there were no restrictions when fishing from my boat and it was my right to go fishing in that area as long as common sense prevailed. I had declared I was casting between moored boats and into unoccupied marina berths.

and from another forum i found this

I just spoke to David from waterways, he told me that the marina operator has rights over the leasing of the property, i.e the pontoons wharfs etc etc. This we already know, he also said that a marina operator "has an obligation to ensure safe navigation in the area surronding a marina". David said that there was no clearly/legally defined space that constututed the safe area. I also asked who gives a marina operator authority to determin safe navigation in an undefined area. David was unable to answer this, so the bottom line seems to be that there are no clearly defind rules governing the fishing in and around a marina..... Im just glad I dont bream fish

ive fished in a lot of the canals in hope island/sanctuary cove/sovereign islands and Raby Bay but usually steer clear from the Marina part unless its really early in the morning, but yeh never had an issue even with locals in the canals, ( as long as u dont hit their 60' Riviera lol)

I hear there is a few large Jacks Lurking in Sanctuary cove..

Dannnnnnn shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Instead of making my own thread, Are we allowed to fish from a kayak in the Manly Boat Harbor? So many old boats there would be a perfect spot for bream.

Instead of making my own thread, Are we allowed to fish from a kayak in the Manly Boat Harbor? So many old boats there would be a perfect spot for bream.
    Give them a call and let us know what they say: http://www.eastcoastmarina.com.au/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    I hear there is a few large Jacks Lurking in Sanctuary cove..
    There isnt any jacks at all in these areas.. the seaway is the only spot they live
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

As Nath mentioned above^^^^ hehehe

Thats right what nath said.....