Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apps for Android phones and tablets

Apps for Android phones and tablets

Theres been a few posts on scrApple stuff but not much on Android stuff.
    Anyone found anything interesting?

I use
    Navionics about $15
    Predictwind Free for 1 day forcast $19 a year for 5 day forcast
    QLD fish Identification $0.99
    Fishing Knots Free

There are some others but are mainly USA relevant.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Re: Apps for Android phones and tablets

Funny Fish, I was just about to look for android apps adn I saw this. WOuldn't mind having the navionics for my galaxy 2 to take in teh kayak and on other boats around the place. Does it show real time movement on the screen and woulde you recommend it?
    and how do you find predictwind, any different/better or worse than BOM etc?
    thanks for your thoughts
    regards jim

NAvionics is the exact same charts you will find on chartplotters. It points the direction you are heading in and shows speed, if you record a track it will give you max and average speed and distance covered.
    Not as easy to save waypoints with it as on a chart plotter but doable.
    It also has a wind forcaste function which seems very good when it works as well as tides, currents and moon and sun phases.

Predictwind gives much more detailed wind data than Bom and over the whole globe.

Fish Hunter how do I get the Navionics ap? Thanks.

All of them from the App store, or Google Play as its now called just search for marine australia and it should come up

Thanks Fish
    the gps map for cars works brilliantly, the free one so that saved me teh cost of a car gps. Only problem I can see is that you wouldn't use it on an open boat as the bloody things are so delicate.

Waterproof cases are available for not a lot of money, I have a plastic 1 for my phone its waterproof down to 5m or so and still allows me to use the phone which I use when I am on the kayak.
    Ram has a pretty good range of bits to hold them securely as well. The biggest issue is battery life if you have the screen on constantly.

I agre mate. The old T90 tough phone would give yo three to four days of life. This thing gives me one to two days at best, and that's if i use it sparingly and reduce all action to base level.
    But still, it's handy. Where did you get your case? Can you still use the touch screen with em?

Got it at BCF and yes the touch screen still works, I think mine is a Aquapac but google it there are lots out there. I am lucky if my phone battery lasts a full day, But I use it a lot

I notice that there is a session on Friday's fishing seminar program at the Tackle and Tinnie Show entitled, "New Fishing & Boating Technology - Smart Phones."

There may be something useful to come out of that.

Aquapac is good, and yes, you can still use touch screen quite easily through it
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

G'day

Waterproofing ideas for the smartphone, www.lifeproof.com and www.liquipel.com

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Does anyone know where to get the nav app? I can't find it. Have they discontinued it? Cheers
    Aaron

no its in the android market or Google Play as its now called. what version of Android is your phone running? If may not show if you have a version before 2.1 or 2.2