Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Anchor Winch

Electric Anchor Winch

Hi all I own a Haines Signiture 630LE and would love an electric anchor winch does anyone know if one can be fitted to this model or does anyone have one with one on.
    What are the best type keeping cost in mind.
    Do you think they are worth the money spent.
    Thanks for any input.

Mark

Re: Electric Anchor Winch

The're worth every cent Copie. Here's a thread of my install
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-Gets-a-Button

Both the gypsy style and drum style are popular and its difficult to say which would suit you. If your anchor well is big enough to take a drum winch then its an easy install. A mate on here HH565 makes the X winch which is a drum style and top of the range. I fitted a Lone Star due to economics as much as anything.

Thanks for the repy and the pics.

gypsy is no good to many things can go wrong drum the best like putting an alvey in the sand keeps goin

The horizontal gypsy style will typically provide very good service for many years. You don't need the expense of a drum to get reliable and strong performance. I have a south pacific 700 that has given me years of good performance and allows room for 5m of chain and 150m x 12mm nylon rope. It's getting tired finally and I am looking at a Lewmar 700 pro (not pro fish but pro) with a 5yr guarantee that can be purchased from overseas to you address here with switch gear etc for about $850. It's a bargain. A couple of mates have them. Plenty of grunt, direct drive and all stainless exterior. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

The main issue with deck mounted winches is that then need a fair amount of free space below them for the rope and chain to sit. For example the Lewmar manual suggests a minimum of 350-400mm of free space from the bottom of the winch motor (lowest part of the winch) to the top of rope and chain when piled inside your anchor well. Essentially what that means is that you need to have an anchor well which is around 750mm plus deep. Unfortunately that's not common or likely in most earlier fiberglass boats up to 7m.

Drum style winches are somewhat more expensive (comparing local purchase/prices) but in many cases, they are the only thing that will fit.

I have a muir horizontal winch.My anchor well not deep enough for it, which I did know & was going to modify it.I installed a deck switch which I kneel on & feed rope.That was 5 years ago,still haven't done anything with anchor well lol.
    Winch has been great.I have 20 m of chain & 20 pound anchor.Wouldn't like to lift by hand to many times.
    Only bad thing about it is the tool the unlocks winch to free fall doesn't float (to my surprise).
    Ask me how lol.

My well wouldn't quite be 350 but it has always worked well with good quality nylon. The trouble I see with replacing my cheap horizontal with a (quite x'y let's face it) drum is that I like 12mm min for the Vagabond and heaps of it...what drum will do that? Cheers

What depth do you usually anchor in Oz?

I had a gypsy style south pacific on my previous boat which was good but painfully slow. the drum is much quicker. I don't know how fast the Lewmars are.

Haha. Yep the amount of rope is overkill mate but the diameter makes the drum have room for what 50-70m. South pacific is slow especially as she heats up. The Lewmar is fast. 32m per min which is a fair bit faster than drum from memory. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    My well wouldn't quite be 350 but it has always worked well with good quality nylon. The trouble I see with replacing my cheap horizontal with a (quite x'y let's face it) drum is that I like 12mm min for the Vagabond and heaps of it...what drum will do that? Cheers
    You've been lucky! If you search here and on other similar forums you will see there are literally hundreds of horror stories about deck mounted winches fitted the right rope and constantly jamming or not working properly. Most of the issues are caused by anchor well depth and when the right questions are asked, it becomes apparent the winches in question are usually fitted outside of the manufacturer's recommendations/guidelines.

A medium size drum winch typically has a drum diameter of 280-300mm, and when loaded with an 8mm poly double braid will hold approx 100 -120m depending on who's advertising it and what (if any) allowances they have made for bunching. A good quality/locally manufactured 8mm poly DB will have a breaking strain of 1750-1800kg. As that is more than the weight of your boat on the water it is more than a good match. If you wanted even more rope capacity (approaching 200m for example) you could come back to 6mm by upping the quality of rope to either a race spec or spectra. The added advantage of that is that the winch will operate faster ....... leave you to think about that one a little bit

Winches imported from China in the medium size range are usually fitted with 1000W motors and priced around $1400. Alternatively, most locally produced drum winches of the same size are fitted with 1400W high quality Italian made Motors and Gearboxes and retail between $2000 -$2460 depending on manufacturer.

Yes, they are more expensive than deck mount winches, but in many cases a drum winch is the only suitable option due the size & shape of the anchor well.

Apparently if you have a 4 stroke you don't have to worry about emergency anchoring like you would with a 2 stroke mate.

Ummm, I don't follow Terry!

Was directed at Oz Spiro but your post popped in between.

Hi guys,
    Do a search on "recipe for an anchor winch" if you are interested in DIY.
    Not a lot of grunt but still in use
    Frank