Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude v4 90 ignition issue (1987)

Evinrude v4 90 ignition issue (1987)

I am at my wits and budget end. Are there any bright sparks out there that can advise on why I do not have a bright spark.
    Cyl3 refuses to produce a spark.
    I thought it was ignition coils so bought a couple of new ones...no change
    I thought it was the power pack so bought a new one...no change
    I thought it was the stator so bought a new one...no change
    So some serious money down, the missus giving me the evil eye and I still do not have spark in Cyl 3. It does come on intermittently, and normally when cold.
    My last port of call is the rectifier/regulator pack. Is there any way this could malfunction in such a way that spark is fine on 3 cyls but not on 1? Seems unlikely to me but I will clutch at any straw.
    Any advice?

Re: Evinrude v4 90 ignition issue (1987)

Can see why your at your budget end; probably easier and cheaper to go to an OMC / Bombardier Marine Tech.

Where are you? We on here know some good ones.............

Cheers
    Chimo

PS Had a V4 90 OMC, very nice motor
    What could go wrong.......................

Instead of replacing nits willy nilly its a lot easier to swap stuff around and see if the fault moves with the component so as to prove which component it is. Have you also replaced the HT lead between coil and spark plug? If not I would swap with one from another cylinder to test it as that is the most likely cause of your problem.

if its only 1 cylinder being affected then it cant be anything on the crank unless that motor has a seperate pickup for each cylinder(highly unlikely)
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

The rectifier/regulator has nothing to do with the spark so don't change it.
    How did you test for spark?

it's a dumb question but have you replaced the plugs
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Thanks for the replies. I have changed spark plugs and HT leads. Chimo, I am in Brisbane West.

Checking for spark a number of ways.
    1. Using a spark working plug whilst the motor is running.
    2. You can feel when the cyl 3 stops working...total lack of power
    3. Pulling each HT lead off whilst engine is running. 1,2 and 4 has noticeable difference if the engine continues to run at all. pulling no.3 has no effect.
    So Fed you dont think the rectifier could be the cause then?
    Shaun

Checking for spark a number of ways.
    1. Using a spark working plug whilst the motor is running.
    I don't understand this Shaun?

Are you calling #3 the bottom Port cylinder?
    If so then check your fuel pump pulse line for air leaks and also pump up your primer bulb and check the pulse line for fuel leaking through a tear in the pump diaphram. There should be no fuel coming into the pulse line.

If you're 100% positive it's a spark problem then any decent OMC guy should be able to diagnose it very quickly & far cheaper than you could get the stuff needed to do it yourself.

The rectifier/regulator won't any effect on the ignition it's a completely different system.

Refugee

Earlier posts on other threads have suggested Downes Marine (although I've no personal experience with them as I use Ski and Race Marine down here) i.e easier and cheaper to go to an OMC / Bombardier Marine Tech than keep on buying bits you possibly don't need.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Hi Fed,
    I am calling #3 the top starboard cylinder.
    I should have said I use a spare working spark plug on the #3 HT lead when the engine is running so I can see the spark. The #3 spark plug is still screwed in so I dont damage anything.
    Thanks Chimo. I have been to Downes before. May have to give it another go.
    At least I gather that the regulator/rectifier cannot be the cause. I did the test and got infinity both ways so though it was a goner.

I should also mention my tach has a mind of its own too. Another reason why I thought it could be the rectifier/regulator.

I assume you are grounding the earth strap of the plug while you are checking for spark?
    Regulator/ rectifier is for the charging system not the ignition system.
    These are the steps I would follow to diagnose a missfire.

1 Check for spark, if no spark
    2 Verify power and ground at ign coil if good
    3 Swap spark plug with a KNOWN good plug ie from another cylinder that runs properly if no change
    4 Swap HT lead with a KNOWN good one from another cylinder if no change
    5 Swap ign coil with a KNOWN good one if no change
    6 Check wiring between ouput of ign module and coil. if ok
    7 Check output of ign module with oscilloscope, noid light etc

By now you should have found your fault. Just because something is new or supposedly working doesnt mean its actually working hence my emphasis on KNOWN good.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

just measuring "stuff" with a meter is useless unless you know what you are measuring for, do yourself a favour and buy a genuine manual for your model, by now it would have saved you a few hundred dollars and a lot of time, the rectifier will probably be the cause of your tacho having "a mind of it's own" and I doubt it will be the cause of your perceived no spark on one cylinder, but as the old saying goes, "you never know" trouble shooting requires methodical and correct procedures or you may end up with a few more faults to chase later on.

If it is one of those stupid recs that sit under the flywheel semi submerged then as Noelm said it will be shot if your tacho is erratic, a very common problem on those.

How are things down in Gods country Noelm ?.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Checked compressions???

Thanks everyone. Reckon I have to spend a bit more time troubleshooting this from scratch again.