Thread: An Indian Summer

An Indian Summer

Have recently returned from a week on the Cauvery River in southern India chasing Mahseer. Located a four hour drive south of Bangalore the river is quite rocky and reminded me of the Burdekin although not as wide. Even has the crocs.

Standard gear was shimano calcutta 700 or abu 9000 loaded with 40lb mono and for luring I used daiwa 5500 spinning reel and a t-curve 10kg travel rod. Initially planned to put calcutta on t-curve but guide said no way big fish will break it.Luckily borrowed rod from uk fisherman. Was a Daiwa uptide rod, casting weight 50-250g. Definately had a bit more beef. Once gear sorted its time to fish.

Routine for the week. 6.30 wake up walk fifty metres to river and flick lures til breakfast or sleep in until you are woken by the delivery of tea or coffee to your tent.

8.00 Breakfast and discuss where you will fish for the morning then leave in jeeps to be dropped off along the river. A coracle is used to get to rocks in midstream to fish from and to chase fish downstream

8.30-12.00 Fishing mainly with hard ragi and then soft when things go a little quiet and nearly lunchtime.

12.00-4.00 Lunch and free time to shower,rest or just keep fishing in front of camp. Caught 80% of my fish in front of camp and the biggest as well.

4.00-8.30 Back out on the river fishing with ragi or livebaits of fish or crab.

8.30-? Have dinner, sit round discuss the day and have a few beers( $2 for a tallie) and then crash out or back to the river for more fishing.

Repeat for six days

Was suprised by the number of fish seen and caught as when fishing the north before a couple of fish a day was good going. Most of my fish were caught on lures as I prefer this style of fishing. The bigger fish are usually taken on bait and the best for the week was 55lb on hard ragi. Ragi is millet flour flavoured with spice or fish and crab. it is made into a dough and either moulded around the hook or using what is called a hair rig the hook sits on top of the bait. They are also hard on tackle I had to upgrade hooks to owner st66 and this even bent a bit. Fleshy lips but crushing plates at back of throat.

Mahseer are reknown fighters and give a good account of themselves. I seen the 55 get caught in amongst rapids and it was a matter of hanging on for grim death and hoping the fish doesn't break you off. Can grow to just over 100lb
    As well as the mahseer there are a few types of carp and the ever present catfish. Other wildlife include elephants, leopard-which we heard on the opposite bank thankfully, while night fishing, deer,crocodiles,otter,monkeys,wild pigs and heaps of birds.

India is not the first place you think of for fishing and it is a challenging environment but can also be very rewarding and addictive. I enjoyed myself heaps and just need to convince my wife that I really do need to go back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: An Indian Summer

They look like carp! Did you eat any?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

That was going to be my question. Did they serve any up for dinner?

Mahseer belong to the barbel family and they are similar to carp.

The mahseer is a protected species and all fishing is catch and release, except for catfish and other lesser species which the guides take for a meal. The only meat for the week was chicken.

Sweet. Been to Sri Lanka but never the sub continent. Gonna take a few months , a few wallahs and a few tollas and do it style one day.