Thread: Peaceful fishing day in the passage...until these things turned up!!

Peaceful fishing day in the passage...until these things turned up!!

I try not to put gripes up on the forum but this really left me annoyed.

Fishing the Bribie passage on the weekend, having a lovely time until the scream of scores of jetski's could be heard in the distance then through they came at high speed in a narrow part of the channel plus accompanying boats with blaring music via speakers! Seriously there would have been 60 or more of the things.

That was a bit annoying but not a big deal...once they had eventually all gone past life returned to pleasantness. However we had the misfortune of being on the move when they came back down the passage taking up the entire channel and in fact wider than the channel, no attempt made by them to move across to the correct side of the channel, even though we were travelling in the oposite direction to them and we were as far over to our side of the channel as possible.

We were forced way OUT of the channel on 2 occasion when dozens of the ba$tards were screaming towards us at way over the 40kph speed limit of the area taking up the whole channel plus about 10 m wither side of the channel . We eventually stayed out of the channel and waited for them to pass (it seemed the safest option).

Seriously it was bloody inconsiderate and unsafe boating, the photos don't do justice (we weren't in a positin to take photos when the worst behaviour was happenning...these photos are just of a few of them giong through). Would love to know if this was an organised event so I could express my opinion to the organisers!

So much for this "rule" that came into play on 1 Jan :

Jet ski users and boaties hitting the water are being reminded about new safety rules which have come into effect today.
    Marine Infrastructure Minister Craig Wallace said the changes had been put in place to better protect all water users and reduce the risk of accidents.
    “From today, people operating jet skis at more than 10 knots have to keep a 30-metre distance from other moving vessels,”
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Peaceful fishing day in the passage...until these things turned up!!

Ive Been in the same boat,
    Although luckly ive been on the other side of the broadwater when they have come through. only diff is that twice its been of a night. and maybe a third didnt have lights...must have been 30 odd of them. Single file 50m apart.

yeah gives you the willys
    mate if you get serious take a i phone with you film them breaking the law if thats the case.
    wont be to hard to find the boat ramp with 30 jet ski trailers.
    film rego plates pass it on water police/ fish patrol via an email a warning in the mail may just slow them down make them follow rules better next time.
    kock.

Mate keep on complaining to the relevant authorities.Hopefully you will get them banned. They have been banned from Sydney harbour and its never been more peaceful. They are turds.

I don't like them but everyone to their own I guess, so I am not thinking that they need to be banned...

Like most things it is the minority of users that cause trouble. This was an expreme thing though and completely innapropriate.

I saw it from the shore... was walking the dog. I assumed it was a protest of some sort regarding the powerboat club trying to ban jet ski's from the passage. I don't want to see them banned, but I would like to see better policing of the area.
    I think it was closer to 100 of them. I initially thought they were doing their best to obey the laws to prove a point. Then, when they came up behind the tour boat and about a dozen of them took off in all directions at stupid speeds..... I cant understand.... If they are trying to make the point that they deserve the same rights in the passage as boaties (which I agree with) then having little regard for anyone else is not the way to do it.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

As of Jan 1st I think there were new laws regarding jetskis and proximity to bathers/anchored boats etc. In fact I think I saw the water cops booking a few in that first week to push the point (made a lot of people smile !). I do see a hell of a lot of jetski activity in the passage, and whilst sure fine they can go zip around in the waterskiing zones and do whatever, they do push the limits of noise and wash (and coming bloody close to boats) when they're in a hurry to get from A to B.

Had an encounter the other week at the 4 beacons where I was nicely anchored up with the incoming tide, fishing away all to myself. In the distance comes a jetski full pelt till he gets to the same beacon I'm on, over my lines, making tonnes of wash and noise, jigs around with his bait jig for 5 mins to no evail, and then zooms off with more noise and wash. I respect people have a right to do their thing on the water within the laws, but common courtesy just doesn't cross the minds of some of these cowboys

I'm an experience boaty, AND a jet ski rider. I show more courtesy on the water when riding my jet ski than most boaters show eachother or indeed, me.

Unfortunately, with jet skis, it's the majority, not the minority who give the things a bad name.

It would be a crying shame for law-abiding owners if they were banned from some areas. Tougher fines and more policing would be welcomed by me though.

I think a major crack down on the whole boating scene is in order, some of the crap I see on the water is terrible, and if the skippers had genuine liceses they wouldn't behave like they do.

If we're going to ban PWC's, then I demand we ban wake boats as well. They cause outrageous bank erosion, and affect other people FAR more than PWC's. Wake boats are designed to pump out massive wakes, catching other boaters unaware, and causing all sorts of human and watercraft damage.

Anyway, I won't ramble on... but a sh*thead is a sh*thead, no matter what form of vehicle they're in control of.

its funny how the powers that be are out on the water mid week checking on lifejacket stickers but come the weekend no where to be seen when this sort of thing goes on.email in the photos u never know it may do some good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    but a sh*thead is a sh*thead, no matter what form of vehicle they're in control of.
    Think I'll get that printed on a shirt.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mojoe1 View Post
    its funny how the powers that be are out on the water mid week checking on lifejacket stickers but come the weekend no where to be seen when this sort of thing goes on.email in the photos u never know it may do some good.
    What cracks me up is the Police pulling me over in a "GO SLOW" zone to check me out on my PWC despite me following the law to the letter, and completely IGNORING dipsh*ts in 20ft boats doing 30 knots plus buzzing all around us in the Go Slow zone!!!

EVERY time I'm in that same area I'm nearly killed by farkwits in big boats straffing me on my PWC while I obey the law and am off plane.

like I said, a sh*thead is a sh*thead, no matter what form of vehicle they're in control of........

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet`n`Release View Post
    As of Jan 1st I think there were new laws regarding jetskis and proximity to bathers/anchored boats etc. In fact I think I saw the water cops booking a few in that first week to push the point (made a lot of people smile !). I do see a hell of a lot of jetski activity in the passage, and whilst sure fine they can go zip around in the waterskiing zones and do whatever, they do push the limits of noise and wash (and coming bloody close to boats) when they're in a hurry to get from A to B.

Had an encounter the other week at the 4 beacons where I was nicely anchored up with the incoming tide, fishing away all to myself. In the distance comes a jetski full pelt till he gets to the same beacon I'm on, over my lines, making tonnes of wash and noise, jigs around with his bait jig for 5 mins to no evail, and then zooms off with more noise and wash. I respect people have a right to do their thing on the water within the laws, but common courtesy just doesn't cross the minds of some of these cowboys
    not anchored boats, moving boats:

There are new operational requirements coming from 1 January 2012 that will affect PWC operators. The changes are:

• PWC drivers must keep a distance of 30 metres from other moving boats when travelling at more than 10 knots – unless the PWC is involved in an approved aquatic event or where doing so would endanger the driver or another person.
    • A supervised unlicensed driver is not allowed to carry passengers other than the supervising PWC licence holder.
    • A supervising PWC licence holder must wear the kill switch safety lanyard when the PWC is being driven by an unlicensed driver.

I do both and see the merits from both side of the fence, ski goes too fast and boaties in a 10m channel with line out both sides. At the end of the day u cannot legislate around stupidity, and when one group gets bombs, similar interest groups gets ripples effects.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

I've had a similar thing. I dont bother changing course for them anymore. I stick to my course on the the right of the channel and if they cant follow the rules then why should I try and go out of my way to change course which only encourages them. They can run in inches of water I cant.

There are also heaps that don't obey the 30m rule. Need more policing.