Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have you caught in your pots

What have you caught in your pots

I realised after reading about what bait to use in your pot etc I have wondered what people have caught in their pots other than crabs. I have gotten flathead, one so big I don't know how it got in as it was a U shape in the pot and took up most of the room, a bull shark in a similar position, big bream and a grunter. What else.

Re: What have you caught in your pots

Blue ringed Octopussy, many, many Stonefish, and even more Estuary Cod, some real monsters too. Occasional Bream are too slow getting out as I lift the pot, that's a fauirly common occurence

Eels, bream, squire, jellyfish, heaps of tiny leatherjackets and of course mud crabs and sand crabs. Nothing apart from the crabs worth keeping.

Flathead would be good. Need to try some new spots where they hangout I reckon

Some huge wobbeygongs. I think they may actually eat the sandys when there in there. Ben

I once had two Wobbeygongs in a pot. I could not lift it out of the water
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I was in the logan and had my float to the pot swimming past me, after some time pulled up a 5ft shark with its head stuck in the pot.
    Flake was on the menu.

Caught my pb bream....45cm up at tin can bay

I have also had a couple of heavy wobbiegongs in the cheaper pots with a full width entry.

Pick the wrong spot near the Sandhills and you will also get more starfish than you can imagine. They cling to the pots and can take a fair while to remove because of the numbers of them.

I remember as a kid we had put a couple of pots up a shallow creek. (dry at low tide) Came back as soon as we could get in there and here was this long necked bird in the pot with its head poking out the top gasping it's last breath as the tide came in. Lucky for it as if we were 10 mins later it would have drowned. I'll never forget that.

ive caught crows, water rats, sharks of many species, snapper, sweeties, tonnes of starfish, alot of massive mantis shrimps, catfish, shovelnose, alot of stonefish, turtles, alot of cod aswell as thieves

Two pots, three hammerheads on the Hawksbury
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

I've caught a 55cm flatty and a big buck muddie in one pull of one of the old rectangular pots. They were down opposite ends and having a good look at each other. Some time the fun is what's on the outside of the pot when you pull it up. Like two leagal bucks one time I flicked into my 12 foot tinny and had to hunt both down that decided to go different ways.

biggest was 26" flathead with 3 legal bucks years ago at inlet near pioneer cement hemmant, dont even know iof pioneer concrete are still there

big sea snake, so sent the pot back down, didn't feel like dealing with it.... lucky it was gone when i returned.

I know you said other than crabs but this one was unusual, pulled one of our pots on the adelaide river and in it were several crabs including one that was already tied, my brother said 'thats convenient', obviously escaped from someone and was still hungry.