Thread: No GPS fix. Humminbird unit

No GPS fix. Humminbird unit

I have a Humminbird 798ci And have been quite pleased with the unit. However a month ago my gps tracking disappeared. I looked on the net and noticed some others had simiular issues. The advice on Humminbird forums was - download the latest updates. With that done I hoped the problemwould be solved. Unfortunately nothing changed. I then noticed the cable was missing a bullet shaped end. Its not the part that connects to the gps or the transducer. Its a piece of cable thats 300mm long and appears to go nowhere. Im not sure of its purpose. What is its function? And could this be the cause? Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Re: No GPS fix. Humminbird unit

Try backing up your data and doing a factory reset. I recently did that with a Lorance unit and it worked perfectly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I have the same problem with my Garmin unit and it can be a real PITA when there are no and marks visible.

Your GPS should plug straight into the sounder i think you have it plugged into a Y cable you should not need the Y sable unless you want to feed the NEMA data to something else. Try removing the Y cable and plugging the GPS directly into the sounder
    92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU,96 MU Wizard, 2014 MUX, 2019 DMAX
    Australia's loudest MU
    MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
    If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?

that pig tail is for NMEA, you can wire it into the back of a VHF radio to give GPS on emergency calls on the VHF

the black cover is just a cover, make sure none of the bare wires are touching each other

can you try your unit in someone else boat to prove the unit is good?

check the pins on the GPS plug in the bottom, both male and female pins, make sure they all look good, take a real close look as they are small

have fun

Murf

Thanks for the feedback so far. I took another photo. It may help pinpoint the problem. The end I'm pointing at with my finger plugs into my transducer. The pins look fine to me. No corosion. The other piece that lost bullet shaped end you can see I.ve exposed the wires. It may help solve the problem this way. The end of cable not visible leads to my mushroom shaped GPS antenna. Can anyone tell me what this short piece of cable is used for? Is it NMEA or ?????????. Next step of course will be to try someone else unit. Will a 500 series gps be ok to test on? or only another 798ci?

Took the unit into BLA. The unit works fine must be the as gr50 gps module thats faulty.
    ordered one through Bias boating. $279. Could of got one on ebay for $119.
    I hope Gerry Harvey reads this. It might explain why we buy online from overseas.

I guess being electronics and part of the GPS unit, it's like Monopoly to a supplier, maybe the chinese can make one for $2.00, like the 50 cent shirts that BigW and the like sell for $9.00